Sign in to follow this  
newtogolf

Appleby Shoots 59

Note: This thread is 3416 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

30 posts / 14251 viewsLast Reply

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

wow...just wow...

i mean, overton strikes me as a petulant frat boy •••••••, but that was unbelievable.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Overton got totally screwed on 17, but his reaction was way over the top. I don't know what he was saying but I would be willing to bet it wasn't PG rated and he just went on and on and on..... just tap the next putt in and get over it.

And how about De Jonge, he shot 3 65s and a 68 and he lost by 5 shots. That kind of sucks.

As for the 59, I didn't see much of it but his last putt on 18 was just crisp, pure, solid, etc. Center cut.

Anyone think that the course set-ups are being eased down a bit to facilitate scoring? Appleby putted like a madman, but two 59's in one year, and several near misses seems a little odd to me.

Anyone think that the course set-ups are being eased down a bit to facilitate scoring? Appleby putted like a madman, but two 59's in one year, and several near misses seems a little odd to me.

I'm thinking the USGA is setting us up for a shorter ball being put into place. They can point to the scoring at the end of the season and tell us the groove rule didn't work, we need a shorter ball. I hope I'm wrong but hearing that the Nationwide is to play a test tourney with special balls doesn't put good thoughts in my head.

I'm not down playing a 59 because it's a magical number on any course but you have to look at the events. It's been done 2 times at a events with a slightly weaker field and the course is probably set up a touch easier for scoring.

I'm thinking the USGA is setting us up for a shorter ball being put into place. They can point to the scoring at the end of the season and tell us the groove rule didn't work, we need a shorter ball. I hope I'm wrong but hearing that the Nationwide is to play a test tourney with special balls doesn't put good thoughts in my head.

Something needs to be done. A course 7,000 in length is just a driver wedge now days for the pro's.

Something needs to be done. A course 7,000 in length is just a driver wedge now days for the pro's.

According to an interview with a USGA official, drive distances have been lower this year than previous years, so there's no intention of changing the rules for drivers or balls. Dick Rugge, Senior Technical Director for USGA made the following statement:

"Strictly based on their potential to change the game, two other rollbacks could be considered—reducing golf ball distance and reducing clubhead size. However, in both cases, a rollback would impact virtually every golfer, not just the very best players, so we have no plans to roll back either."

Great stuff "Apples" - 59 on sunday to win was awesome!!! - After 11 straight weeks it was well deserved mate!!

If your worried about the low scores, maybe they should stop serving up these wet receptive greens.....

59 with 3 closing birdies on Sunday to overtake the leader and win?!? He gets extra credit-best 59 ever.

I was rooting for Appleby, and that round was superb, and he deserves all the credit in the world, but there is no question at all that the greatest 59 was Duval's.

59 with 3 closing birdies on Sunday to overtake the leader and win?!? He gets extra credit-best 59 ever.

Duval won when he shot his 59 and finished with an eagle.

Note: This thread is 3416 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!