IGNORED

Comprehensive Camera for Filming your Golf Swing Thread

Harmonious
Note:Β This thread is 3240 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Originally Posted by mchepp

Do you know the resolution of the camera in 240fps mode? I can't find anything about on their website. It seems like you said the feature is hidden. If Canon had this they should at least advertise it a bit more.

Pretty sure it's 320x240. Β I can't find it on the Cnet specifications sheet, so I assume I read it on a camera review site.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

You're right, 240fps - 320x240

120fps - 640x480

I just picked it up at Best Buy for $149.

Originally Posted by bplewis24

Pretty sure it's 320x240. Β I can't find it on the Cnet specifications sheet, so I assume I read it on a camera review site.

Brandon

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 3 months later...
Originally Posted by 2thetee

I am waiting for the Casio ZR200 to come out in April at $379

Supposedly you can shoot at 1000fps and control shutter speed.

See this review http://youtu.be/Xpi75AJIHzE

DO NOT BUY the EX-ZR200 Casio for the purpose of filming your golfswing.
It does NOT have manual shutter for video.
I bought the damn thing, vid quality sucks for golf swings.Β Β Made a complaint to Casio and they have confirmed on mail it has NO manual shutter for video.
Long story short, I bought a useless toy from Casio and I feel I got scammed by them as they don't clearly state that in the specs on their website that it doesn't apply to video mode.
Here's their mail:
-----------------------------
Thank you for your email and for your interest in our products. You have contacted the European Support Center in Norderstedt, Germany. With regards to your question we would like to inform you the following:

As mention in the user guide page 66:

The A, S and M recording modes are not supported when shooting a movie, or
when using the "Prerecord (Movie)" and "For YouTube" BEST SHOT scenes. InΒ΅
these cases, the recording mode is always (Auto)

You have a digital β€œphoto” camera with a video function and not a video camera. The main function is to take photos. Unfortunately the camera does not have the manual function for the shutter speed.

Your comments will be forwarded to our product development centre in Japan. As it is very important for us to offer high quality products that meet the demands and expectations of our customers we can assure you, that your suggestions will be thoroughly discussed and possibly even considered for implementation in future generations of this product.

We wish you a nice day.

Best Regards,

European Support Center
Casio Europe GmbH
Casio-Platz 1
D-22848 Norderstedt
Germany

Tel.: +49 40 528 65 800
Fax: +49 40 528 65 888

GeschΓ€ftsfΓΌhrer: Kazuyuki Yamashita
Stellv. GeschΓ€ftsfΓΌhrer: Yoshiyuki Kuroda
Amtsgericht Kiel, HRB 3315

-----------------------------

DO NOT BUY the EX-ZR200 Casio for the purpose of filming your golfswing. It does NOT have manual shutter for video. I bought the damn thing, vid quality sucks for golf swings.Β Β Made a complaint to Casio and they have confirmed on mail it has NO manual shutter for video.

It may not be ideal, but it's not a big issue in my opinion. Depends how much detail you need, but for the average golfer out there, I don't think the lack of manual shutter speed matters too much. You may not capture the angle of the clubhead at impact, but who needs it anyways? Most of the stuff one needs to look at is done by the body, which is not a problem without manual shutter speed. You can get more than good enough videos with a ZR100/200, but if you can, get a FH100 or something like that.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot ProΒ | Callaway X-Utility 3iΒ | Mizuno MX-700 23ΒΊ | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15ΒΊ | Titleist 910 D2 9,5ΒΊ | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Didn't Stretch make a post a while ago about Casio coming out with a new model that has manual shutter? ZR300?

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3Β |Β 15ΒΊ 3-Wood: Ping G410 |Β 17ΒΊ 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 |Β 19ΒΊ 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo |Β 54ΒΊ SW, 60ΒΊ LW: Titleist Vokey SM8Β |Β Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Professional Video lighting is expensive. The money is better spent on a more sensitive camera. Most of what you see advertised is for close up portraits, parties or outside use, such as LED's. Lighting a bay is the equivalent of lighting a studio. Google how to light a studio for video. (Strobes are for still cameras not video.)

Heat output vs illumination is the issue.

The cheapest way to get a lot of light is Halogen Work Lights from the home center/lumber yard.Β  Bounce a couple of 500/1000W lights off the walls. Bounced light is softer casting less shadow then direct lighting. (You can also hang bed sheets and bounce off that.)

Now the draw back...........they are hot as hell .Β  Open the windows in the winter hot.Β  Also white balance can be a bit wonkey.

ProfessionalΒ  daylight corrected Fluorescent bulbs from a camera store cost $15 and it will take a bunch of them mounted in $10 chicken coop lights (hardware store) to equal one $15 halogen work light. However they don't cook the room. "Professional" (sold as such but not really) reflectors cost $50 and are not much better then chicken coop lights.

PS: The Hollywood name for an overhead, horribly expensive light is "deep fryer". (Actors are paid to sweat.)

"Quick Dorthy....the oil can!"

I decided not to wait for the ZR200 and instead got the ZR100. Most of the specs were the same so why pay more for a camera with minimal upgrades. The ZR100 is good enough for pictures and videos. The only downside (and it has been stated in other threads) is the High Speed mode requires A LOT of lighting. I get a lot of light in my house and even with the lights on, it still looks pretty dark. I also got a Class 10 SD card and it does make a difference. Also, the higher the speed you shoot, the lower the video quality will get . Shooting at 240fps is more than enough to capture a golf swing, baseball swing, action sports, etc, and you'll still have good enough video quality.

Originally Posted by bcgolf

DO NOT BUY the EX-ZR200 Casio for the purpose of filming your golfswing.

It does NOT have manual shutter for video.

I bought the damn thing, vid quality sucks for golf swings.Β Β Made a complaint to Casio and they have confirmed on mail it has NO manual shutter for video.

Long story short, I bought a useless toy from Casio and I feel I got scammed by them as they don't clearly state that in the specs on their website that it doesn't apply to video mode.

Here's their mail:

Best Regards,
Ryan

In the :ogio:Β bag:
:nike: VR-S Covert Tour Driver 10.5 :nike:Β VR-S Covert Tour 3W :titleist:Β 712U 21*
:nike: VR Pro Blades 4-PW :vokey:Β Vokeys 52*, 56* & 60* :scotty_cameron:Β Studio Select Newport 2
:leupold:
:true_linkswear:Β 

I usually film swings outdoors, where lighting is not an issue, what with the sun and all. I've also had an indoor setup with 1 to 3 500W worksite lamps pointed directly at me, which worked perfectly. I would probably not have found a camera that would be able to record indoors with the existing lighting anyways. The lamps were cheap and will last a long time.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot ProΒ | Callaway X-Utility 3iΒ | Mizuno MX-700 23ΒΊ | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15ΒΊ | Titleist 910 D2 9,5ΒΊ | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

If you did, it would probably have costed more than what you need it for. For the size, the ZR100/200 are pretty powerful cameras.

Originally Posted by Zeph

I would probably not have found a camera that would be able to record indoors with the existing lighting anyways.

Best Regards,
Ryan

:nike: VR-S Covert Tour Driver 10.5 :nike:Β VR-S Covert Tour 3W :titleist:Β 712U 21*
:nike: VR Pro Blades 4-PW :vokey:Β Vokeys 52*, 56* & 60* :scotty_cameron:Β Studio Select Newport 2

Canon offer some high speed cameras as well.Β  They aren't as fast as some of the Casio's but fast enough for golf swing analysis.Β Β  Their HS models range in price from $150 - $350.

Super Slow Motion Movie

The Super Slow Motion Movie mode* on the PowerShot ELPH 310 HS gives you a fun and useful option when shooting videos. It records video clips at a very high speed - up to approximately 240 frames per second. When the clips are played at normal speed (30 fps), the action is dramatically slower. This video shooting mode can be used to capture memorable plays at sporting events or to analyze and study motion.

Joe Paradiso

• Administrator
Originally Posted by newtogolf

Canon offer some high speed cameras as well.Β  They aren't as fast as some of the Casio's but fast enough for golf swing analysis.Β Β  Their HS models range in price from $150 - $350.

Super Slow Motion Movie

The Super Slow Motion Movie mode* on the PowerShot ELPH 310 HS gives you a fun and useful option when shooting videos. It records video clips at a very high speed - up to approximately 240 frames per second. When the clips are played at normal speed (30 fps), the action is dramatically slower. This video shooting mode can be used to capture memorable plays at sporting events or to analyze and study motion.

What's the frame size of these videos?

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

120 fps frame size is 640x480

240 fps frame size is 320x240

Originally Posted by iacas

What's the frame size of these videos?

Joe Paradiso

• Administrator
Originally Posted by newtogolf

120 fps frame size is 640x480

240 fps frame size is 320x240

Eh.

The FH-100 did 448 x 336 - twice as many pixels.

I'm checking out the ZR300:

http://tpicloud.com/casio-ex-zr-300-launches-in-japan

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/05/22/Casio-announced-Exilim-EX-ZR300

http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/23/casio-announces-new-exilim-ex-zr300-high-speed-compact-camera/

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2012/05/casio-exilim-ex-zr300-unveiled/

http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/casio-exilim-ex-zr300-compact-camera-unveiled-23-05-2012/

http://www.photographyblog.com/news/casio_exilim_ex-zr300/

http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/33065/casio-ex-zr300/

http://www.1001noisycameras.com/2012/05/new-compact-zoom-announcement-casio-ex-zr300-in-japan.html

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

One of the articles says it released on June 8 in Japan. Can't find any reviews online though. Here's a link to the Specs

http://www.dpreview.com/products/casio/compacts/casio_exzr300

Eh.

I'm checking out the ZR300

Best Regards,
Ryan

Eh.

I'm checking out the ZR300:

http://tpicloud.com/casio-ex-zr-300-launches-in-japan

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/05/22/Casio-announced-Exilim-EX-ZR300

http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/23/casio-announces-new-exilim-ex-zr300-high-speed-compact-camera/

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2012/05/casio-exilim-ex-zr300-unveiled/

http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/casio-exilim-ex-zr300-compact-camera-unveiled-23-05-2012/

http://www.photographyblog.com/news/casio_exilim_ex-zr300/

http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/33065/casio-ex-zr300/

http://www.1001noisycameras.com/2012/05/new-compact-zoom-announcement-casio-ex-zr300-in-japan.html

The ZR300 looks nice.... But @ 45,000 yen is ~ $565 US. Β Anyone using the GoPro HD Hero2? Β I was looking at it as it was a little more economical.

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Beachcomber

The ZR300 looks nice.... But @ 45,000 yen is ~ $565 US. Β Anyone using the GoPro HD Hero2? Β I was looking at it as it was a little more economical.

848 x 480 at 120 FPS isn't bad. We sometimes do 120 FPS video (it's 640 x 480 on the Casios I believe).

I'm going to try out the Nikon J1 later today. 640 x 240 @ 400 FPS.Β $499.Β I'll probably like it if the camera will auto-rotate MOVIES (it does it for still images, if it's only going to give me 240 in one direction that direction needs to be laterally, not vertically).

The GoPro is an enticing choice though. If only they could get to 240 FPS...

Edit: I spared myself the $500. I didn't test it. I think perhaps 120 is good in a pinch, and I'll fart around with the GoPro and/or the Nikon sometime down the road. Whatever. I have four cameras that do 120/240 so I'm fine. Sorry! :-)

• 1 month later...

I am looking at digital camera to record golf swing.Β From my own research i found that to record golf swing camera should have manual adjustment for Frame rate and Shutter speed

Frame rate - 30frames per second, 120fps, 240 fps etc.

Shutter speed - 1/100second, 1/1,000s, 1/10,000s, 1/40,000s, etc. -

Casio used to make good camera to record golf swing. Casio ex-fh100 was the best camera to record golf swing but camera is so difficult to find and very expensive (over $500). Casio ex-fh100 have the manual adjustment for Frame rate and Shutter speed.Β Casio ex-zr 100 does not have manual adjustment for Shutter speed. Without shutter speed adjustment,Β golf club will appear blurry in downswing.

I am now looking at the Canon powershot Elph 110 hs and Canon powershot Elph 310 hs. Can someone confirm that Frame rate and Shutter speed can be adjusted manually during video recording?

thanks for help.

IΒ am looking for a digital camera to record and analyze golf swing.Β From my own research,Β I found that to record and analyze a golf swing,Β digitalΒ camera should have manual adjustment for Frame rate and Shutter speed

Frame rate - 30frames per second, 120fps, 240 fps etc.

Shutter speed - 1/100second, 1/1,000s, 1/10,000s, 1/40,000s, etc. -

Casio used to make good digital camera to record golf swing. Casio ex-fh100 was the best camera to record golf swing but camera is difficult to find and is expensive (over $500). Casio ex-fh100 have the manual adjustment for the Frame rate and the Shutter speed.Β Latest Casio ex-zr 100 does not have manual adjustment for Shutter speed. Without shutter speed adjustment,Β golf club will appear blurry in downswing.

CurrentlyΒ i am looking at the Canon powershot Elph 110 hs and Canon powershot Elph 310 hs. Can someone confirm that Frame rate and Shutter speed can be adjusted manually during video recording?

thanks for help.

Note:Β This thread is 3240 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!