IGNORED

Comparing Hybrid distance with iron?

Note: This thread is 5006 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've heard that hybrid is longer than the iron with the same loft. 20 degree hybrid goes longer than a 3 iron.

So how do you choose which the hybrid to replace your iron? Pick hybrid with the same length with your iron?

39 inch hybrid replace 39 inch iron #3? So 5 hybrid replace 3 iron?
Whats in my Golf Bag:
Driver: Nike Sumo 5000
5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001
Iron: Mizuno MX-950 5-PW
Wedge: Cobra FP 60 degrePutter: Odyssey 2-BallBall: Yellow balls

I would think performing a side-by-side comparison of a long iron and its intended replacement is the best approach.

There seems to be a trend lately from the likes of TaylorMade and Cobra to increase shaft length and weaken the loft on their hybrids.

If you were carrying a typical 3-iron at 38.75" in length, and 21* of loft, then a 40.5" / 19* "3-hybrid" is hardly a like-for-like replacement.
To me, it seems easier to just go with the long irons from a "Game Improvement" set anyway. The shorter shaft would offer more control, and the ever increasing sole-width should help with the launch angle.

I carry both a 3H and a 3i.

When I´m swinging the club well and I´m confident with it I can the 3i around 190 yards. I normally step off it a little and hit it 175-180 yards. I only use if it´s a windy day.

The hybrid is much easier to hit. i hit it 200 yards on average but i´ve hit some really long tee shots with it up to 220 yards.

Hybrids let you rip the ball while I find that with long irons I have to swing a lot smoother to get a good strike.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

I carry both a 3H and a 3i.

I agree with that.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I've taken to carrying my 4I and 4H. I'm working on being able to hit my 4H a little less distance so I can worry less about that distance gap.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would say a 4h is mostly as long as a 3i ..... so it is logical to go for a 4h + 4i (and then the 4h acts like a 3i replacement).....

Problem is that irons have little dispersion, so you can hit a 4i quite steady at 170-180 yds and you would expect 180-190 from the 4h then, but the 4h will be more like 170-200 ....... so I would say it difficult to be sure of distance with the hybrid.

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

I've taken to carrying my 4I and 4H. I'm working on being able to hit my 4H a little less distance so I can worry less about that distance gap.

I've taken to the same strategy. I have always battled my hybrids (gave away my 3 hybrid last week) but I absolutely love being able to use it for punch outs, run ups, etc. And when I feel confident with it, I use it off the tee on tight fairways - very good weapon for this.

Callaway Org14 Sport w/ Clicgear Cart:

Callaway X 460 9* - Callaway X 15* - TaylorMade 19*/21* Hybrid - Callaway Diablo Forged 4-PW - Titleist 50/56/60 - Rife Cayman Brac - Bridgestone xFIXx/B330-RX - TRUE Linkswear Supporter!

Thank you for all the inputs. So far from the answers my impression is you go one hybrid higher to replace the iron. 4 hybrid replaces 3 iron. 5 Hybrid replaces 4 iron and so on.

BTW, I see YE Yang carries 2 hybrids in his bag. He got the 19 degree and 22 degree TM Rescue. Both hybrids got the same distance as his 3 and 4 iron. Maybe I should try TM Rescue before deciding buying a hybrid.
Whats in my Golf Bag:
Driver: Nike Sumo 5000
5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001
Iron: Mizuno MX-950 5-PW
Wedge: Cobra FP 60 degrePutter: Odyssey 2-BallBall: Yellow balls

I think it depends on the hybrid as well. My Adams set has two hybrids 3 (19 deg) and 4 (22 deg). the 5 iron is 26 deg but I still only have a 10 yard gap between the 5 iron and 4 hybrid. So even though the loft suggests the hybrids may hit longer, they act more like the iron they are replacing with this set. Select the hybrid by distance more than loft to cover your gaps.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

It was also explained to me that when you get older your swing slows and you do not hit your long irons as far as when you were more limber, flexible, and younger. The aging and slower swing process does not affect your shorter irons as much. In these cases the hybrids play out pretty much the same as how you used to hit your longer irons. Therefore, in this scenario it is almost a straight replacement for your 3 and 4 iron.

I think it depends on the hybrid as well. My Adams set has two hybrids 3 (19 deg) and 4 (22 deg). the 5 iron is 26 deg but I still only have a 10 yard gap between the 5 iron and 4 hybrid. So even though the loft suggests the hybrids may hit longer, they act more like the iron they are replacing with this set. Select the hybrid by distance more than loft to cover your gaps.

Part of this is because Adams does a

fantastic job with their integrated sets.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

This is really good advice. In general, hybrids have their weight concentrated much lower in the clubhead than a typical long iron so they tend to lauch a ball higher relative to their loft. Longer and lighter shafts also tend to make a hybrid fly farther than an iron of the same loft.

Adams does indeed do a good job matching loft, length and club weight in their integrated sets so they are fairly seemless in their distance gaps. In my case, I play shortened hybrids (about an inch from "standard", although there's really no such thing as a standard length between manufacturers). My hybrids and irons now have even almost exact 10 yard gaps from 3H down to PW in my set. I also added tips weights when I assembled them to swingweight very close to my irons so they feel much more like irons when I'm swinging them than a fairway wood.

What's in my bag (most of the time)

Exotics 12°, Aldila VS Proto 65S
Exotics CB1 4W, 16.5°, Fujikura Stiff
3DX DC Ironwood 20°, 23°, 26º Hybrids, Proforce V2 Stiff Acer XP905 Pro 6-PW, Dynalite Gold S300Inazone CNC Spin Satin GW 50°/8°, SW 54°/14°, LW 58°/4°Boccieri...

This is really good advice. In general, hybrids have their weight concentrated much lower in the clubhead than a typical long iron so they tend to lauch a ball higher relative to their loft. Longer and lighter shafts also tend to make a hybrid fly farther than an iron of the same loft.

This is pretty much right on. The one thing slower swing speed guys should remember is the size of the loft gap and sometimes the length of the shaft can be considerations in arriving at the club that gives proper distance spacing. Five degrees for someone using A or L flex shafts makes sense. X may only need a 2-3 degree difference.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

Note: This thread is 5006 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!