IGNORED

Where Are Those 300 Yard Videos?

Note: This thread is 5007 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

If your short game sucks that bad, you can't drive it 300 yards. Short game is all about fundamentals.

I don't think thats right, the fundamentals of the short game can not be compared to the full swing. For instance, people can be really good in that short area, because they don't take a full swing, it might be the full swing it self that is messed up. Or they might be a good ball striker, but horrible feel with there chipping, maybe they can't get it with in 3 feet on chips. I think people are good at what they are good at and making generalizations isn't a good idea.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There were a lot of fundamentals that I've been working on in my full swing lately which increased my distance a bit but they also helped my short game a lot. Especially with a little 1/2 or 3/4 swing.

I used to average 240 off the tee but now its around 260 (depends a lot on the day). I don't have a range finder so judging by the markers on the course I've hit a few 280 - 290. I know I hit one 330 before but it was about 30 yards down hill on a 350 yard par 4 .

I work at a driving range and theres this one guy that always swears hes hitting it to the tree line which is 310 yards out. Well he was there when I went to practice one day and at best he was getting them out to 210 yards. He still seems to think they were going into the trees so I'm assuming he has some very poor eye sight.

FT-9 I-Mix 9° Driver w/ Fubuki Stiff shaft
X 5 Wood
X 3 Hybrid
FP II Irons 4-GW
54° and 60° C-Grind Wedges Karsten Zing Putter Tour I ball

I work at a driving range and theres this one guy that always swears hes hitting it to the tree line which is 310 yards out. Well he was there when I went to practice one day and at best he was getting them out to 210 yards. He still seems to think they were going into the trees so I'm assuming he has some very poor eye sight.

That's

very common. I have a range membership, and I see the same thing every day. It's not bad eyesight, it's deep psychological need to hit the ball far. Because golf is so much work, we all assume we should be able to, for all we put in, hit the ball 300 yards. It's of course, not true.

240 Yards is a big-ish drive for me.

The reason I'm a 10 is because those drives aren't always straight. This is a thread about distance, not accuracy.

Hitting a ball that comes to rest at around 260 yds isn't really "cranking" it.

200-210 is normal there? man... i don't think ive ever golfed with anyone that drives that short. my dad who is 60 drives around 240+ average. My girlfriend who is just 5'4" 110 lbs drives over 200 yards...

200-210 is very short for average drive.

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

I don't understand the fascination with long drives, yeah it may be nice on par 5s and but on most par 4s I would rather be 140 yards from the green than 90. I realize everyones home course is different, but I experienced this today. The 9th hole at my home course is a 400 yard dog leg right. I hit my first drive just inside the 150 marker, and just for fun I wanted to really get into one and laced a drive about 90 yards from the green. I proceeded to play both balls and hit the 140 yard ball to 4 feet, the 90 yard shot was short and about a 20 foot putt. I know everyones game is different, but I am better at my approach shots from >100 yards, and I am more comfortable hitting a pw than a half swing sand wedge. I would much rather have a 260 yard drive that is more consistant than a 300+ drive that misses the fairway half the time. As golf shots get closer towards the pin, the more important the shot become. So when I step up to the tee, I grab the club that will set me up for the best approach shot possible, not the one that gets me closest to the green.

I just love the sound it makes when I really get into a shot.

In the Bag:
Driver: Nike Sasquatch Sumo2
Fairway wood: Nike Sasquatch Sumo2 4 wood
Hybrid: Nike Sasquatch Sumo2
Irons: some type of generic imitation, will look asapSand Wedge: Nike

Wait is 300 yards good? I thought taht was just average? I'll get you one soon, I keep hitting the ball to the fence of my driving range. I figured tour players carry the ball well over 300 yds

Mexicanleprican, come on down!!! On your first day at the Sand Trap, you have beaten the record of quickest to claim tremendous distance by a mid-high handicapper.

Really look forward to that video but, like you say, it is so hard to see the ball flying away so fast. Maybe if you film yourself hitting over the mountains in the distance. POW!!!!!

I usually jsut go to the range and let it fly. Someone showed me the average from the PGA tour today, after I saw that, I saw that my statement was quite naive.. While I am addicted to golf, I didn't pay much attention to stats. I was just saying I honestly thought the pros carried much further than 300, I thought average players carry 280-300. I stood corrected but I can hit the ball pretty damn far.

In the Bag:

I usually jsut go to the range and let it fly. Someone showed me the average from the PGA tour today, after I saw that, I saw that my statement was quite naive.. While I am addicted to golf, I didn't pay much attention to stats. I was just saying I honestly thought the pros carried much further than 300, I thought average players carry 280-300. I stood corrected but I can hit the ball pretty damn far.

Argle Bargle.

well put. I made myself sound like an idiot. I'll record some shots at the driving range either way.

In the Bag:

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

On the Computer:  Analyzr Pro 

If your short game sucks that bad, you can't drive it 300 yards. Short game is all about fundamentals. Most of us can throw a basketball well enough to at least get it to contact the rim. The same is true of golf. If your swing fundamentals are good enough to solidly strike a driver that consistently, then you should be able to easily lob a ball onto the green, and putt it into the hole.

I play with a 28 handicapper, who cannot hit an iron, wedge or putter for toffee.

He can hit a drive that travels only 30 ft from the deck and goes a good 280 though I cant explain it either

Taylormade RBZ 10.5 driver, Taylormade Burner 2.0 15 deg 3 wood, Mizuno JPX800 19deg hybrid, Taylormade Burner 2.0 4-PW, Titleist Vokey 52,56,60 rusty wedges, Odyssey White Ice #7 360gm tour weight, Bridgestone B330S

I might have said this before, but I have never ever met a good player who talks about how far he hits it. That's because he's focused on scoring, not driver distance.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

• Administrator
That's well said.

I don't even measure my driving distance. If I did the scorecard math (tees were back, holes were straight, pins weren't up) I hit a few drives 320 yesterday (i.e. probably 280 to 290, even with tees back, straight holes, etc.) and ended up with par. The only time driving distance really matters to me is when I can or can't reach a par five in two or drive a par four or on the rare occasion where I have to carry something - a bunker, a creek, etc.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

You see, this is the problem. What people think is "pretty far" is usually not. They swing hard, and the ball goes a ways, but how far it really goes is a mystery.

I rarely hit my driver at the range. I like to sometimes make nice, easy swings and practice my plane and getting deep hands with the driver as you need to get the hands deep and the plane flat to launch the ball properly. When I do this, I swing nice and easy, and regularly hit the center of the face. The sound is amazing, my driver's sweet spot is very loud, despite the rest of it being fairly tame. People come up to me and say, "wow, you must be hitting it 300 yards!" Not a chance . These little pokes would be flying about 240 yards and rolling to 250 or so on the course. What's amazing, is that these little pokes, with the dead balls at the range fly about 210 yards (230 if it's a newer ball). Do you know how few people hit it past that? Not many, not many at all. Ego takes over when we estimate our driving distance. A GPS is a humble pie. My longest drives on flat ground, no wind, on GPS, measure around 280 yards. I wish I could say I hit those every hole, but I don't. Miss the center of the face by 1/2", and you've lost 40 yards.
I might have said this before, but I have never ever met a good player who talks about how far he hits it. That's because he's focused on scoring, not driver distance.

So true. I could really care less how far it goes. I just seek to educate people to come down to earth. I rarely worry how far I'm hitting it. If I hit it 240 or 280, it doesn't matter, unless there's water at 270...

That's well said.

Hehe, I'd love to have your driving distance dude. I've always been really accurate with the driver, don't quite know why. Length is good when I want to let fly, but my club head speed is about 110 with a smash factor that's not so hot. The end result, as I've said, is 246 yards average.

I will bite.

What a tempo you have!! Very solid swing man! I have been working on my tempo lately and I am getting close. It is almost identical to yours with your tempo being my goal.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Note: This thread is 5007 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!