IGNORED

The Duetsche Bank Championship

kpaulhus
Note: This thread is 5003 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope no one accuses the PGA TOUR of making this course too easy because of Hoffman's 62. Partially from personally playing the course and partially from looking at the scoring from this tournament in the past, I can assure you that this is a very easy course. Especially for the pros.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I hope no one accuses the PGA TOUR of making this course too easy because of Hoffman's 62. Partially from personally playing the course and partially from looking at the scoring from this tournament in the past, I can assure you that this is a very easy course. Especially for the pros.

Who cares? Even in a blow out, (by mister anti PGA persona) I have to say that was one of the more entertaining events I have ever watched. So many lip outs for aces, eagles and birdies. Maybe I am in a good mood today but I had fun watching it! Long bombs being drained.....pitches in the hole and 11 birdies to win! Don't want to see this every week but what the heck!

BTW did Phil overtake Tiger? LMFAO

In my SasQuatch carry bag.
909D2 9.5* (Aldila Voodo Shaft)
FT 3W 15* (Fujikura E370 Shaft Stiff Flex)
FT Hybrid 21* Nuetral (Fujikura Fit On M Hybrid Stiff Flex)
FT Hybrid 24* Nuetral (Fujikura Fit On M Hybrid Stiff Flex)Irons: X22 Tour 5 thru PW (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300) 2* upright (also...

As far as being easy it is pretty obvious Hurricane Earl softened it up. Plus they played lift, clean and place early on.

FT Hybrid 24* Nuetral (Fujikura Fit On M Hybrid Stiff Flex)Irons: X22 Tour 5 thru PW (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300) 2* upright (also...

Who cares? Even in a blow out, (by mister anti PGA persona) I have to say that was one of the more entertaining events I have ever watched. So many lip outs for aces, eagles and birdies. Maybe I am in a good mood today but I had fun watching it! Long bombs being drained.....pitches in the hole and 11 birdies to win! Don't want to see this every week but what the heck!

I know I'm the same. I just don't want people to think the PGA TOUR made this course really easy or something in an effort for ratings. I liked watching the low scoring too.

BTW did Phil overtake Tiger? LMFAO

Nope. Tiger actually finished 3 shots better than Phil after Phil's 76.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I know I'm the same. I just don't want people to think the PGA TOUR made this course really easy or something in an effort for ratings. I liked watching the low scoring too.

I can see your point on the course. A very very reachable par 5, 18th for sure makes it seem easy. I kind of like it on occasion. Though it didn't work out, it does open up a lot of possibilities for late Sunday. Tough 18 aka PGA Championship tests the leader. An easy 18th to me is just as fun. Allows lots of scenarios. Well not when a 62 is thrown out there! LOL But either way, what the heck, go low is fun every so often!!

Not sure how the math works. But I predict Tiger is not going to let that number 1 go. It seems between the playoffs (playing for your life format) and the fact (though he won't let it be known in any way shape or form) he no way in heck wants to lose that designation and it is driving him right now.

Something tells me he would rather give away a major win then let Phil overtake him for number 1! That flop at 18 today was not a guy 12 strokes off the lead type of shot. That was a Tiger getting his claws back.

This is fun!!!!

Not sure how the math works. But I predict Tiger is not going to let that number 1 go. It seems between the playoffs (playing for your life format) and the fact (though he won't let it be known in any way shape or form) he no way in heck wants to lose that designation and it is driving him right now.

After he hit that Johnny Miller said something like "Tiger's actually better than Phil at those shots", which is something I agree with. If you gave Tiger and Phil each 10 shots from there, Tiger would hit each one to about 5 feet and Phil would hit 5 to a foot and 5 to 15 feet. Phil hits a lot of amazing shots, but he hits a lot of really crappy ones two. I would always take Tiger over Phil in that situation. And then Tiger smiled for once.

In my bag:

...Phil hits a lot of amazing shots,

That's why I always say, Phil is a train wreck waiting to happen

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Good for Charley Hoffman . . but I found the tournament a little boring. The really low scoring and the runaway lead (and I admit it . .some of the names on the leaderboard) made me feel like I was watching an alternate field . .or even Nationwide event instead of an event that some people consider a candidate for a "5th major".

Phil should have passed Tiger for #1 by now but the pressure is getting to him. He tanked at the WGC bridgestone as well. This was a big oppportunity missed by Phil and each week tiger is slowly putting his game back together.

Final round today was very entertaining. It's always interesting to see how these guys handle the pressure. You'd never know by Hoffmans reactions (until the last hole) he was playing for the victory. Day, on the other hand was clearly impacted by the pressure at the end. Hoffman is not your typical looking golfer, but I really enjoyed watching him today.

Joe Paradiso

I'm surprised other people don't find this kind of result very interesting. A Charlie Hoffman, certainly a very dark horse, comes out and absolutely smokes a very good field by a whole lot. If Tiger or Phil had done this, everybody would be crowing about how dominant they were. The fact is that nowadays, there are a whole lot of guys out there who can do this on a totally random basis. If they are going to consistently beat these random supernovas, Tiger and Phil had beeter bring their A games, because the B game won't cut it in this situation.

I'm surprised other people don't find this kind of result very interesting. A Charlie Hoffman, certainly a very dark horse, comes out and absolutely smokes a very good field by a whole lot. If Tiger or Phil had done this, everybody would be crowing about how dominant they were. The fact is that nowadays, there are a whole lot of guys out there who can do this on a totally random basis. If they are going to consistently beat these random supernovas, Tiger and Phil had beeter bring their A games, because the B game won't cut it in this situation.

I think it puts into perspective what Tiger (and Phil, to a lesser but still incredible degree) have been able to accomplish in golf over the last 15-20 years. It's hard, really, really, incredibly hard to win a golf tournament. For even incredibly talented and driven golfers the task of beating out the large, immensely skilled field of golfers over 72 holes is a tremendous accomplishment. Phil and Tiger are still the "best" golfers out there on any given day, but only by an incredibly slim margin-and every single part of their game has to be on to win.

In my opinion (and it's just my opinion) an easy golf course like this (whether due to weather, layout, set-up or whatever) makes it possible for any player in the field to shoot "light's out", get a crazy low score and change the whole tournament. This only tests who is having a good day today.

A tougher course tests not only a players ability to make good shots but also to make strategic decisions, overcome adversity and grind out a score. Not taking anything away from Hoffman's victory at all. He played well all 4 days. I personally just enjoy tournaments more when the winning score is more like single digits under par.

I think it puts into perspective what Tiger (and Phil, to a lesser but still incredible degree) have been able to accomplish in golf over the last 15-20 years. It's hard, really, really, incredibly hard to win a golf tournament. For even incredibly talented and driven golfers the task of beating out the large, immensely skilled field of golfers over 72 holes is a tremendous accomplishment. Phil and Tiger are still the "best" golfers out there on any given day, but only by an incredibly slim margin-and every single part of their game has to be on to win.

Finally Max says something I agree with +1

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Note: This thread is 5003 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!