IGNORED

Ball position for wedges

Note: This thread is 4961 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What is the ideal ball position for a Lob Wedge (the shortest club in my bag) ?

My Pitching wedge shots are flying all left, is this because incorrect ball position?
Whats in my Golf Bag:
Driver: Nike Sumo 5000
5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001
Iron: Mizuno MX-950 5-PW
Wedge: Cobra FP 60 degrePutter: Odyssey 2-BallBall: Yellow balls

Approximately in the center of your stance....if it is too far back, you may pull it but use the ball flight laws to determine clubface angle at impact and the path.....I would bet your club is closed at impact...try opening it slightly at address...see what happens

PB
Canadian PGA Life Member
Peter Boyce Golf Academy
Strathroy, Ontario
:tmade:

Slightly forward of stance for me (club head in the middle). Sometimes if I want it to run out more, I move it back a ball width. If your shot is starting left, then it's a pull. Your swing path may be slightly out to in and face angle square to path.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It's individual, but most recommend somewhere from the middle of your stance to inside the left foot. Shots going left could be related in that you are compensating or doing some weird stuff because of it, but I doubt it. Sounds like a pull, rolling the wrists over and closing the clubface, strong or weak grip, flipping etc.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Depends on what shot your playing for your lob wedge. I will put it all the way to my left toe and all the way back to my right, it depends on the type of shot and spin your aiming for. For a stock shot, I would say on your right heal.

No, you pulling it left will have nothing to do ball position.

Driver: 909D3 8.5* Diamana White Board X
3 Wood: MP 630 15* GRAFALLOY PROLAUNCH RED X
Hybrid: 909H 19* "Real" VooDoo X
3 - P: MP-68 KBS Tour Black Nickel X
56* 10 Wedge Vr60* 06 Wedge: VrPutter: Custom Made.Golf Ball: TOUR B330SI am the greatest, I said that even before I knew I was....

Depends on what shot your playing for your lob wedge. I will put it all the way to my left toe and all the way back to my right, it depends on the type of shot and spin your aiming for.

You play a standard wedge shot off your right heel? That might make sense for a chip shot, but not a full swing.

You play a standard wedge shot off your right heel? That might make sense for a chip shot, but not a full swing.

There's a lot of different positions, the lob wedge isn't very picky. I know people (good players, mind you) who play it anywhere from the left foot to the right.

Placing the ball further forward = more pull/fade, backwards = more push/draw. The basics are that when it's farther forward, the club is coming more from the outside, and vice versa.

it sounds like the same problem i was having for a month until recently!
everything people mentioned here rings true now...in hindsight
what i was doing wrong was forgetting to swing inside-out and swinging too hard
i think with the shorter shafts in wedges, you can get away with overusing your arms
and forgetting your normal swing

and yea, i dont think ball position was the issue for me

and yea, i dont think ball position was the issue for me

I can hit a wedge with the ball at my back foot, or at my front foot, doesn't matter. Ball position rarely means as much as people think, as the swing is such an active motion with the brain making corrections. The idea is to get the sequence ingrained in such a way as to minimize the corrections the brain must make during the swing. Hence: golf.

What is the ideal ball position for a Lob Wedge (the shortest club in my bag) ?

Shots going left could be pulls, or it could be that the lie angle of the club is too upright for you.

I can hit a wedge with the ball at my back foot, or at my front foot, doesn't matter. Ball position rarely means as much as people think, as the swing is such an active motion with the brain making corrections. The idea is to get the sequence ingrained in such a way as to minimize the corrections the brain must make during the swing. Hence: golf.

The ball position can make it easier or harder to do whatever you are working on. With a ball position very far back, getting the swing bottom around the left foot is not easy. For irons, I'd say at your shirt logo is a pretty neutral position.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

As some folks have noted, there is no one correct ball position for the wedge--nor for any other club for that matter. It all depends on what kind of shot you are trying to hit. Back in the stance delofts the clubface and keeps the ball lower than it would other wise be. The opposite tends to occur with the ball more forward--and you have to be very careful not to skull it, especially with a wedge. So, you need to ask yourself what kind of ball trajectory are you trying to create.

For me, slightly right of center for lob, dead center for PW and the ball moves foward as the clubs get longer.

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

Behind center for chip shots (w/ run), about center for normal trajectory, in front of center for really high pitch trajectory.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

my stock full wedge shot is off my right heel. my flopshots are more towards the center.

full wedge shots = right heel
PW-9i = 1-2 balls right of center
8i - 7i = center of stance
6i-5i-4i = 1-2 balls left of center
3i = 2.5 balsl left of center
FW's = almost naer left heel
driver = left heel

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

Note: This thread is 4961 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!