IGNORED

Driver distance vs. Handicap

birdiedream
Note: This thread is 3190 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

[QUOTE=sean_miller;533730]Well you got all the buzzwords in there, the ben hogan swing (a little man who probably wouldn't have had a 300m driving average), athleticism, putting - oh wait, that's irrelevant - and there you go. A long driving shortish golf troll.

ok here is the deal. i post up footage of me nailing it 310 yards, and all you hecklers MUST change your signatures to "i love shooter" for 1 week..
deal????

also, i think if hogan had a modern driver he would have been a 300 yard drive average easily.

always give way to the Greenskeeper!!

in my bag:
whatever clubs i find left behind on the course... But the Ping Anser will never be beaten!!

BALL: only get off tractor for PRO v1's..... Now, which way to Q School???

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

no, 2 x 20 minutes of putting practice during morning and lunch time breaks + 18 holes every day after work @ 2.00 pm apart from sunday because + athletic + swing simular to Ben Hogan = 310 meter avg + great golf.

[QUOTE=Shooter McGreenkeeper;533734]

Well you got all the buzzwords in there, the ben hogan swing (a little man who probably wouldn't have had a 300m driving average), athleticism, putting - oh wait, that's irrelevant - and there you go. A long driving shortish golf troll.

No - 310 metres, and about 50 of them to prove you'd easily average that on a golf course. In the meantime, I'm getting a T-shirt made with

I <3 a "greenkeeper" with no index

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Don't forget to pack a duffel bag of hair product. It's simple arithmetic:

ohhhh. you have changed your mind now have you???? 310 meters now,? ohhh sorry, obviously my mistake....

always give way to the Greenskeeper!!

in my bag:
whatever clubs i find left behind on the course... But the Ping Anser will never be beaten!!

BALL: only get off tractor for PRO v1's..... Now, which way to Q School???

When I played in SoCal i had an average drive around 300y (incl. roll of course), but when I moved back to Norway its way harder to get a long drive, mostly because of the climate and the gras, making it softer, and thereby less roll. The air is also colder and makes the carry shorter as well so I avg about 240m, or about 270y now..

Im 25 years old and 6-2 so my swing speed is pretty high right there...

I'm a 18.3 hcp, so the averages I mentioned is only from the drives that I manage to stay in bounds;p....

My Handicap: Hovers around 3-5
Avg Distance: 290+ yards

My Boss
Handicap: 9
Avg Driving Distance: 210 yards!

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

this kid i saw play the other day, he's a 3 handicap, probably 12-14 years old, and it looked like he looked like he hits it about 240, thats on a course that had -5 inches of rain over the past 3 months, so its hard as hell. I would guess he gets 1.5-2.0x amount of normal roll. This one guy i play golf with hits a line drive golf ball, probably carries 180, but he ends up around 250-260 because he gets like 80-100 yards of roll, its sick.. Thank you dry summers in ohio ;b

But yea, distance versus handicap, over rated. Are we talking about a guy who hits 280 from the tips, or a guy who hits 210 from the whites. Come one, whats the specifics, how are we looking into detail on this. Because honestly, thats why we have different tee boxes. Of course a guy who hits 280 would have an advantage at the tips versus a 210 guy, thats nearly 70 yards per hole. Thats wedge versus nearly 5 irons, thats nuts, you can't ask someone to make up that difference in handicap.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

this kid i saw play the other day, he's a 3 handicap, probably 12-14 years old, and it looked like he looked like he hits it about 240, thats on a course that had -5 inches of rain over the past 3 months, so its hard as hell. I would guess he gets 1.5-2.0x amount of normal roll. This one guy i play golf with hits a line drive golf ball, probably carries 180, but he ends up around 250-260 because he gets like 80-100 yards of roll, its sick.. Thank you dry summers in ohio ;b

you guys don't play off the tips in handicap competitions?

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

Handicap: I don't keep an official one, but I usually shoot in the upper 70's to mid 80's. Average in the awful rounds (90+) and I'm probably around a 12.

Driving average: I usually carry around 240-250 yards and roll to about 255-270 yards.
Driver: taylormade.gif R9 Superdeep TP 8.5* - Aldila RIP 70x | 3-Wood: taylormade.gif R9 TP 15* - Diamana Blueboard 83x | Hybrid: taylormade.gif Rescue TP 19* - Motore F3 95x | Irons: taylormade.gif RAC TP MB 3-PW - Dynamic Gold x100 | Wedges: taylormade.gif TP xFT 54.12* and 60.10* - Dynamic Gold s400 | Putter:  ping.gif Karsten Anser - 33"

you guys don't play off the tips in handicap competitions?

The only players in my Men's Club who play from the tips are the guys in the first or championship flight. The rest of us established our handicaps and play in tournaments from the middle tees.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Depends upon what you define as a good swing. How about John Daly? Is that a good swing? Sure has good results as far as distance goes.

Dude... Are you friggin kidding me? Seriously? Does a two time major champion have a good swing? Seriously .

I am an 8 handicap and a 300y+ average. My longest from my last round was 351 measured with my SkyCaddie SGX.

Let the doubter posts begin, they don't bother me. I know how far I hit it

Driver TM Superquad 9.5 w/ V2 stiff
3 Wood Callaway Fusion 13 deg w/ DVS stiff
Hybrid Titleist 585H 19 deg. w/ VS Proto Hybrid 95 stiff
Irons Titleist 735CM 4-PW - Cleveland wedges 52,56,60 deg.
Putter PING CRAZ-E G2i

I carry about 235 with the driver. Roll is far too dependent on conditions to be even worth guesstimating...... Index is 5.7 right now and it's dipped into the mid-4's.

Short and accurate with consistent ball striking and a decent short game is worth a heckuva lot more than distance off the tee, or anywhere else for that matter for most of us.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I'm a 11ish handicapper, and i rarely drive farther than 230 yards. I'm 6'5" and a nice easy swing gets me 225 down the middle. If i swing hard, I can hit the ball a lot further, but accuracy suffers, and Id rather play 225 straight, than 275 all over. last round i played, i hit 12 out of 12 fairways with the driver, and 16 out of 18 greens. I just cant putt to save my life (left eye dominant, right handed)

nike sq dymo str8 fit 9.5º  stiff
cobra baffler 3 wood stiff / cobra baffler 18º hybrid stiff
cobra sz irons stiff (soon to be bridgestone j33)
Cleveland 52, 56, 60 cg14
odyssey 2 dot putter / taylormade penta tp, prov1, callaway hx tour (have a few boxes of each from the past couple seasons)

I am an 8 handicap and a 300y+ average. My longest from my last round was 351 measured with my SkyCaddie SGX.

Yeah, with an S flex shaft... You'd hit it off the face of the planet with such a weak shaft. Don't piss on my boots and tell me it's raining.

I'm a 11ish handicapper, and i rarely drive farther than 230 yards. I'm 6'5" and a nice easy swing gets me 225 down the middle. If i swing hard, I can hit the ball a lot further, but accuracy suffers, and Id rather play 225 straight, than 275 all over. last round i played, i hit 12 out of 12 fairways with the driver, and 16 out of 18 greens. I just cant putt to save my life (left eye dominant, right handed)

Yes, of course, most left eye dominant right handers are bad putters, like Jack Nicklaus. Come on man, don't be silly, your putting isn't why you're an 11 handicap, it's your ballstriking. If you're hitting greens, odds are you're playing to huge greens, because 16 of 18 greens in regulation is better than the best ballstrikers on the PGA tour.

• Administrator
Yeah, with an S flex shaft... You'd hit it off the face of the planet with such a weak shaft. Don't piss on my boots and tell me it's raining.

You say a lot of things that seem to be what you believe but which may or may not actually be true. I can hit the ball pretty much as well with my X-flex driver as I can with my wife's Ladies flex driver.

Why do you get so wound up, SAM, in threads like this? Why do you care how far someone says they hit the ball? It'd be one thing if your advice was along the lines of trying to open their eyes to something so that they may improve, but you don't talk to people that way - you basically call them liars and try to rip on them.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Yes, of course, most left eye dominant right handers are bad putters, like Jack Nicklaus. Come on man, don't be silly, your putting isn't why you're an 11 handicap, it's your ballstriking. If you're hitting greens, odds are you're playing to huge greens, because 16 of 18 greens in regulation is better than the best ballstrikers on the PGA tour.

no, my putting is why i'm an 11. I can routinely 3 putt from 10 feet. not bragging, because it sucks, i just have a horrible time lining up on anything close. I actually draw my hunting bow right handed, and shoot only with my left eye open - its that bad. my home course is not difficult, (in fact, its only about 5,000 yards from the whites), but dont call me a liar when you dont have any idea about my condition.

also keep in mind that i stated LAST round, not every round. It was an exceptional round. My entire point was that I'd rather swing at 75% and hit fairways, than swing at 110%, and hit the ball 50 yards further, but miss the fairway.

nike sq dymo str8 fit 9.5º  stiff
cobra baffler 3 wood stiff / cobra baffler 18º hybrid stiff
cobra sz irons stiff (soon to be bridgestone j33)
Cleveland 52, 56, 60 cg14
odyssey 2 dot putter / taylormade penta tp, prov1, callaway hx tour (have a few boxes of each from the past couple seasons)

no, my putting is why i'm an 11. I can routinely 3 putt from 10 feet. not bragging, because it sucks, i just have a horrible time lining up on anything close. I actually draw my hunting bow right handed, and shoot only with my left eye open - its that bad.

Have you tried using an intermediate target? With it, you can aim 1 foot in front of the ball, instead of 100 yards, or 10 feet down the line.

http://thesandtrap.com/forum/threads...l=1#post506967

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Note: This thread is 3190 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!