IGNORED

US Ryder Cup Clothing

jamo
Note: This thread is 4965 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Are you saying he had a stylist when he went through that parachute pants and skin tight mock phase? Does a stylist pick out Steve Stricker's shirts? I think his tape measure is in metric.

Yes to your first question. Doubtful for you second question, since Stricker doesn't seem to have a clothing sponsor.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am just saying it is easy to be well dressed when you have some stylist picking out all of your clothes for you.

But wouldn't that be the same for all sponsored players? Tiger is always well put together and has great taste in his color combinations. It helps that he has a perfect build but his clothes are beautifully tailored.

Phil Mickelson is my favorite player but the style he's gone with in the past two years looks terrible on him. He's just not built for tight fitting shirts.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

But wouldn't that be the same for all sponsored players? Tiger is always well put together and has great taste in his color combinations. It helps that he has a perfect build but his clothes are beautifully tailored.

Yes, generally those with clothing sponsorhips do have their clothes picked out for them. It doesn't appear that Phil has such a sponsorship for clothing. Although, he has the scratch to have a full time style consultant.

I would have to agree. Tiger always looks sharp. Justin Leonard is a sharp dresser as well.

Did you see the photo on GolfWRX where the NIke players' clothes were there for them in bags which a picture of which shirts they had to wear with which pants on each day? There was a close up up Leonard's bag.

So - - -I don't think Leonard is a sharp dresser, I think Nike makes him look like one. (But I personally don't like the Nike striped shirts this year)

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Yes to your first question. Doubtful for you second question, since Stricker doesn't seem to have a clothing sponsor.

Phil's clothing sponsor is Callaway. Stricker is a little harder. It might be FJ, but he wears (or at least used to wear) shirts with an Antigua logo, so I'm not really sure. Most, if not all, players have clothing sponsors. Nike and Taylor Made/adidas both release pictures of their players "outfits" prior to some tournaments.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Phil looks out of sorts with the tight shirts and big wide white belts. He doesnt have the build for that style of clothing.

couple things i'd fix with Phil's outfits...

his pants, belt, shoes combination are usually pretty spot on... his shirts hwoever could use half a size...maybe a full size bigger...

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

Phil's clothing sponsor is Callaway. Stricker is a little harder. It might be FJ, but he wears (or at least used to wear) shirts with an Antigua logo, so I'm not really sure. Most, if not all, players have clothing sponsors. Nike and Taylor Made/adidas both release pictures of their players "outfits" prior to some tournaments.

Are you sure about Phil's clothing sponsor? I can't find anything about it and the sleeve is a wierd place to put your logo on a shirt. Since when did FJ start making shirts and pants? I thought they just did base layers and outerwear.

Are you sure about Phil's clothing sponsor? I can't find anything about it and the sleeve is a wierd place to put your logo on a shirt. Since when did FJ start making shirts and pants? I thought they just did base layers and outerwear.

Until someone has something more recent and/or authoritative.

http://www.golf.com/golf/equipment/a...893542,00.html

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Nike puts their logo on the sleeve on a lot of their shirts too, but I'm not 100% sure on Phil. Maybe 70%. Come to think of it, Callaway's website doesn't have any of those stuffy-looking weird-collar shirts Phil likes to wear, so maybe I'm wrong. But he must have a clothing sponsor, or at least a personal tailor. A big part of an athlete's image is how they dress, and I can't imagine his sponsors would let him dress himself.

sean_miller has me beat on Stricker. I think a lot of pros wear shirts rebranded as FJ though.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Mickelson wears Q'aja Couture: http://www.qaja.co.uk/golf.php
http://www.golf.com/golf/equipment/a...992099,00.html

same company that Graeme Mcdowell wears

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

How cool is it to have bespoke golf clothing?

This cool.

GMac you cruel mountain of manhood!

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Not sure if someone mentioned it already but did anyone find out who designs the Ryder Cup apparel?

Nike sets their player outfits for each day beforehand. Tiger pre-sponsorships wasn't very well dressed from what I can tell.

« Keith »

NEWPORT, United Kingdom – The opening hours of the Ryder Cup brought embarrassment for the United States’ team, even though the first day’s fourballs matches were severely delayed by bad weather.

In a development that left U.S. captain Corey Pavin red-faced, the American team was forced to ditch its official waterproof clothing and replace it with new gear purchased from the clubhouse store at the Celtic Manor course.

“We are disappointed with the performance of them, so we fixed it,” Pavin said. “They weren’t doing what we wanted them to do so we went out and bought new waterproofs.”

A U.S. team source told Yahoo! Sports that the standard waterproofs, provided by Montana-based company Sun Mountain, were holding too much liquid and thus weighed down players and caddies alike. Captain Pavin had been alerted to the problem by the time the opening pair of Phil Mickelson and Dustin Johnson had reached the second green, and an emergency plan was put into action.

A team official was hastily dispatched to the merchandising tent, where almost the entire stock of ProQuip waterproof trousers were purchased, according to a store worker.

“They bought more than 20 pairs,” the employee told Yahoo! Sports.

The choice of replacement was all the more humiliating for Pavin, as ProQuip is the official waterproof supplier to the European team. Inclement weather has been predicted ever since the Ryder Cup was awarded to Celtic Manor, and European captain Colin Montgomerie took no chances with his preparation.

“When I was a player in the Ryder Cup, I simply turned up, put on the gear that had been left for me in my room, went out and started playing,” said Montgomerie, who collaborated with his wife Gaynor, caddie Jason Hempleman and ProQuip managing director Richard Head in all aspects of Europe’s kit design. “But as captain it is totally different, and I am central to all of what goes on behind the scenes.

“I have always said we will wear what the players want to wear, and I think that symbolizes the entire team spirit we are engendering.”

Montgomerie held several meetings with ProQuip and tested the products before they were ordered for each team member.

“It was clear from the outset that Colin had prepared for all our meetings,” Head said. “He made himself available in all aspects of the discussions about the waterproofs, which was excellent.”

The U.S. team waterproofs didn’t just bother the players; they attracted criticism for their look and design as well. Former Tiger Woods coach Butch Harmon, commentating on British television, described them as “not right” and insisted they looked more like a basketball practice uniform.

All members of both teams had no choice but to wear waterproof gear as rain drenched the course from the start of play at 7:45 a.m Welsh time. Mickelson opted to wear all-weather gloves — even while putting — and none of the Americans looked comfortable.

When play was stopped after just five holes of the top match, Europe was ahead in each of the first three matches – with only Bubba Watson and Jeff Overton leading, ahead of Luke Donald and Padraig Harrington.

I like the logo on the hats. Didn't see them for sale on the official site. <:?

Ping G2 Driver; Titleist 906F2 5W; TM Rescue Mid 3H; Adams Idea Pro 4H; Titleist DTR 3-SW; Callaway Bobby Jones Putter; Ping Hoofer lite

Note: This thread is 4965 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!