IGNORED

Chippers and Putting Wedges

mikalee
Note: This thread is 3729 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Screw chippers, do this ;-)

http://thesandtrap.com/t/70998/chipping-with-a-putting-method

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ive used chippers in the past and theyre great if you struggle with your chipping.  They have the loft of a 7-iron but with a much wider sole and the shaft length of a putter, so you can just use a putting stroke.  It really does make chipping much easier, especially if you struggle with that kind of a shot.

Really, the only downside to a chipper is do you really want to have a club taking up a slot that is pretty much a 1 trick pony when you can only have 14 clubs?  A chipper is a crutch but if you really suck at chipping, its something to consider.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Screw the chipper, get a niblick - a true multi-purpose club whether 2 inches off the green or in knee deep rough.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Ive used chippers in the past and theyre great if you struggle with your chipping.  They have the loft of a 7-iron but with a much wider sole and the shaft length of a putter, so you can just use a putting stroke.  It really does make chipping much easier, especially if you struggle with that kind of a shot.

Really, the only downside to a chipper is do you really want to have a club taking up a slot that is pretty much a 1 trick pony when you can only have 14 clubs?  A chipper is a crutch but if you really suck at chipping, its something to consider.

I disagree.  A chipper is no more a crutch than a driver is.  In fact, it's more utilitarian, being able to be used from about 50 yards on in, given the circumstances.  I've known single digit hcps to use them with devastating effect.

I don't guarantee that the sun will rise in the east tomorrow, but I'll virtually guarantee that anyone with a handicap over 12 or 13 will knock strokes off their game if they put one in the bag and genuinely gave it a chance.  Bogey golfers especially will benefit.  They're good enough to have a pretty decent feel for the swing and distance control.....they tend to struggle with consistency.  A chipper will help immediately.

• Upvote 2

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I don't guarantee that the sun will rise in the east tomorrow, but I'll virtually guarantee that anyone with a handicap over 12 or 13 will knock strokes off their game if they put one in the bag and genuinely gave it a chance.  Bogey golfers especially will benefit.  They're good enough to have a pretty decent feel for the swing and distance control.....they tend to struggle with consistency.  A chipper will help immediately.

I agree.  The chipper is a comfortable length and helps to eliminate the skulled or chili-dipped shots.

More power to you and your wife.  My wife's chipper gave her another reason not to practice .

The only reason I don't have my own chipper is that I already have a good short game.

I used a chipper in the early 80's, but then switched it out for a lob wedge when they became popular. My short game also improved when I went to the Greg Norman tips on chipping...

http://www.shark.com/sharkwatch/instruction/lesson36.php

http://www.shark.com/sharkwatch/instruction/tip38.php

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

Screw the chipper, get a niblick - a true multi-purpose club whether 2 inches off the green or in knee deep rough.

Its just too bad the Niblick is so overpriced and really doesnt do anything that a $20 chipper doesnt do.  Cleveland simply markets it as a jack of all trades, so people think its more than just a chipper.

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I disagree.  A chipper is no more a crutch than a driver is.  In fact, it's more utilitarian, being able to be used from about 50 yards on in, given the circumstances.  I've known single digit hcps to use them with devastating effect.

True but theres nothing that a chipper does which you cant do with a wedges or short iron with a little practice.  My comment of it being a crutch was because its a club that you can use with little to no practice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by meenman

Its just too bad the Niblick is so overpriced and really doesnt do anything that a $20 chipper doesnt do.  Cleveland simply markets it as a jack of all trades, so people think its more than just a chipper.

I was under the impression that regular chippers weren't made to absorb the impact of a full swing whereas a niblick can be swung just like a wedge when the situation warrants.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I was under the impression that regular chippers weren't made to absorb the impact of a full swing whereas a niblick can be swung just like a wedge when the situation warrants.

Right again my american junior friend. My niblick is used mostly for full swings out of deep rough on the days I can not find the fairway. It is also my short putter when I am just off of the green. 4 chip ins with my 37 degree during my last 3 rounds makes it all worth it. I also have the 56 degree but that is my *soft sand* sandwedge.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

American junior?

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

American junior?

That is our term for canadiens

I've heard worse.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

True but theres nothing that a chipper does which you cant do with a wedges or short iron with a little practice.  My comment of it being a crutch was because its a club that you can use with little to no practice.

"Crutch" had a negative tone when I read your post.   It's not a band-aid if that is what you are referring to, no more than hybrid club is to some (or long putter for that matter).   But I understand your point.   I have a good wedge game so I don't need a chipper that will replace another club in my bag.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I had never heard of them until a few weeks back. I was paired up with an older gentleman and at one point during the round I was heading back to the cart to grab my putter and offered to bring him his. I handed it to him, he chuckled, and informed me that that was his chipper. It was ancient and rust covered (honestly, I didn't think they actually still made them until I read this post) but he was scary accurate with it around the greens. I figure if it works for you and you've got room for it in your bag, use it to your hearts content. Heck, they probably should have handed out a couple to those Big Break NFL-ers last night (but I digress).

• 4 weeks later...

I just purchased one, a 37 degree chipper golf club.  I have never used one before but I bought it thinking that it would allow for more consistent shots from around the green, especially in the winter and the rough around the greens having some holes here and there.  Previously I would use a wedge and while my short game is getting better, consistency lacks quite a bit on these shots which is why I purchased the chipper.

I plan on working more on my short game next year so I'm planning on this being a short time solution until I can consistently hit these shots.  I assume that this is a legal club as I have seen other people use them and have not heard anything about them being illegal in general (as long as the meet the standards in the rules of golf).  Anyone use one of these and if so did you like it?  Did it help at all?

I know that @David in FL is a big proponent of the chipper… maybe he has some input on how to use it best.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Yeah there's loads of info out there:

http://thesandtrap.com/t/17844/chippers
http://thesandtrap.com/t/4034/chippers-and-putting-wedges
http://thesandtrap.com/t/37898/who-uses-a-golf-chipper

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

• 1 month later...

Inching closer to taking @David in FL ,s advice and picking up a chipper for the coming season. I really like @mvmac 's chipping with a putting set-up method too but I figure if I can save that practice time for full swing work I'll be better off this season. The Snake-Eyes chipper is only $40 so it's a worthwhile experiment for a season, I'll take the 60* out for a while and see how it goes.

• Upvote 1

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Note: This thread is 3729 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!