IGNORED

Golf....after back surgery. Anybody have story to tell?

mcotter
Note: This thread is 2645 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was able to golf within a year or so after breaking my back. They fused several vertebra and completely rebuilt one out of bone off of my hip. The main thing was the recovery time between rounds. I was 18 when I broke my back so I was young enough that recover time was pretty fast comparatively speaking. I was also pretty athletic so that helped a lot. By the time I was in my early 20's I was able to walk 18+ holes a day. I didn't golf well back then though, just was happy to be out there smacking the ball around. I know this isn't directly related to what you were asking, but just know that it is possible to get back into golfing even after some major back surgery like I had.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This is an old thread that was dug up but I'll add in my experience.  Had my spine fused from T2 to L1 (that's 11 fused vertabrae!!) with two titanium rods and about 15 screws in October 2011. I'm in my mid 40's and was in good shape prior to surgery and worked to get back into shape after surgery which I'm sure factors into things.

I started back playing last summer just a bit shy of two years post op.  Fortunately most flexibility comes from the cervical and lumbar region of the spine and I still hit it pretty decent though I can't get a full rotation.  I've suffered a bit of distance loss but overall still have a decent enough game.  I walk a couple rounds a week and sometimes 27 holes with minimal pain though some days are worse then others.

I had spinal fusion surgery 6 weeks ago, L1, 2 and 3 with 4 screws. Went out today to driving range and played 3 par 3 holes without any pain. Does anyone think that I am doing this too soon?

My whole left side was banged up in a car accident a couple of years ago. Although I am a walking hardware store with pins, screws, plates, and a rod, my back was not injured. That, and my left ankle was not injured. My left shoulder, left hip, left ribs, left lung, left knee, and left side of my head took a beating. Still have a bit of an issue with my shoulder, but it's minor. Everything else works well. Airport security loves to talk to me. :-P They make me feel most wanted.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Golf has been the best medicine I could ever hope for. I've had 3 back surgeries due to a tethered spinal cord and spinal tumor, and golf has me moving. The first several times I thought I would never be able to do it because I could barely walk and the pain I was in after a few holes wouldn't allow me to continue. I kept on trying and noticed my mobility was getting a little better all the time.

Now if I could do something with these bum knees...., lol

God Bless!!! Ray

Good for you Ray. As I mentioned I recently had a laminectomy with spinal fusion. I agree, its good to get out and move around. I also know that both my shoulders need replacements. My doctor is trying to put it off because I am still fairly young (51) for that type of surgery. I guess I should justg male the most of it while I still can.

@colin007 can you get Tiger on the phone and have him chime in here?

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I had spinal fusion surgery 6 weeks ago, L1, 2 and 3 with 4 screws. Went out today to driving range and played 3 par 3 holes without any pain. Does anyone think that I am doing this too soon?

I think this is way to early to be putting that type of stress on the fusion.  I would certainly get your doctors okay first.

Good for you Ray. As I mentioned I recently had a laminectomy with spinal fusion. I agree, its good to get out and move around. I also know that both my shoulders need replacements. My doctor is trying to put it off because I am still fairly young (51) for that type of surgery. I guess I should justg male the most of it while I still can.

We must be related...., I've had both shoulders over-hauled and I am 48.

God Bless!!! Ray

• 1 month later...
I had a Lamenectomy 5 months ago to remove a large tumour in my spinal cord.  General recovery was very quick, but the last 10% was slow. That's when I started going to the gym and doing some strengthening exercises. That was going really well, so I thought I'd go out to the driving range and hit a small bucket. I've never hit so well in my life. I was actually aiming for the different targets and hitting them! Every single time! I was so excited. But as I got near the bottom of the bucket I started to feel really tired. My competitive nature kicked in, and I forced myself to keep going, in fact, decided to swing harder, see how far I could really go. And then I wrenched my back out so bad I was lying on the ground in pain, barely able to move. That was yesterday. Lots of cold packs and Advil, and I can walk again, but I haven't been in that much pain since right after the operation. I feel like I've just erased 5 months worth of recovery, and doubt I'll pick up a club again this summer. So, my advice is to take it easy. Yes, if your doctor says it's ok, go to the driving range, but don't grip it and rip it. Work on your short game at first. Think 75-yards. And if you start to feel tired, then STOP!

Lawrence, I just underwent a lumpectomy of my spinal.cord at t-11 to remove a tumor inside my spinal cord. It's very encouraging to see your story since you underwent.a.similar.procedure and are at least back to the driving range. I hope.to make it back myself but my surgery was a week ago and I need to rehab my legs as they are still numb. The motor.skills.are.coming back but it will take.months of rehab. Can you tell.me where your tumor was located in your spinal cord and how long before you were able to take a practice swing post op? Best, Matt

I had two back surgeries in early 2012. I didn't swing a club for about eight months after the second one. It took me a year after that to get back to just being able to play 18 holes again. Take it slow. Real slow. Golf is not so important that you should risk your long-term health by getting back into it before you're ready.

• 1 year later...

I'm 33. I had a microdisceptomy in 2003. First off, if you had that surgery, you  really do you not need to worry about anything. That is a very simple minor surgery. It really shouldn't even be classified with "back surgery". When someone says they have one of those, the doctor literally went in there and just cut the jelly that came out of the donut.

Next week I am going in for a double laminectomy.  I actually went in here hoping to God that somebody else has had the same surgery and they were able to play golf and enjoy life still.  Like I said, I am only 33 years old. So that person that asked how old everyone is, you do not need to be old to have back issues. 

I would love to hear a success story from someone that has had at least a laminectomy on their lower back and able to get their life back. 

As for the rest of you, if you have a back problem and have not had surgery yet. Please do yourself a huge favor and Google "Dr. Sarno 20/20 special" and buy the book "healing back pain". Five years ago I was supposed to have surgery again and I canceled my surgery the day before because I read this book and I ran a marathon three months later. It will save your life, it will save your money, it will save your back. Unfortunately for me, I had an actual injury happen this time which is why I need the double laminectomy. Good luck everyone and I would love to hear a success story!

• 10 months later...

Age 71. On 11/18/16, had minimally invasive lumbar laminectomy to relieve spinal stenosis. Immediate relief. I have been careful not to overdo, This week on 1/18/17, I plan on going to the range.  That's little over 8 weeks.

I will stretch before going and swing at about 80%. I will hit a small bucket. I have a back brace (I got it primarily due to arthritis in my right hip). I will take Aleve beforehand. If all goes well after 3 trips to the range this week, I will try a round on Saturday.

I got most of that from Internet doctor advice. My surgeon really did not want to give much advice.  -Marv 

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

I have had 2 on my L4-L5  one 15 yrs. ago  the other 10 yrs  ago.  played about 4-5 months after started slow.  I have worn a lifting belt under my shirt  ( - the doctor told me to  - )  since it  made my swing shorter but I am playing better now than ever.  the best rounds of my life have been this last summer !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am 65

Edited by deadon500

Ive had an outpaitent microdisectomy a few years back. My situation wasn't as complicated as it could have been with the disc and the doctor had room to move things around. I didn't swing a club for about 5 months while the soft tissue healed.  I strengthened my core and lower back with light yoga. I did the procedure in the late fall, so i actually didn't miss too much golf. I  dont play much durning the winter, anyway. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/16/2017 at 10:32 PM, MarvChamp said:

Age 71. On 11/18/16, had minimally invasive lumbar laminectomy to relieve spinal stenosis. Immediate relief. I have been careful not to overdo, This week on 1/18/17, I plan on going to the range.  That's little over 8 weeks.

I will stretch before going and swing at about 80%. I will hit a small bucket. I have a back brace (I got it primarily due to arthritis in my right hip). I will take Aleve beforehand. If all goes well after 3 trips to the range this week, I will try a round on Saturday.

I got most of that from Internet doctor advice. My surgeon really did not want to give much advice.  -Marv 

Since posting that message, I have played 2 rounds and made 6 0r 8 to the range. I get a little stiff so stretching is good. But no leg pain. So don't be afraid of the surgery. Marv

• Upvote 1

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

Note: This thread is 2645 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!