IGNORED

Who Plays by the Rules?

alo1984
Note: This thread is 4942 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm just curious who actually plays by the rules here? There is so much talk about the rules of golf on this forum but many people end up proving they don't play by the rules by some of the things they say they've done on the course.

Do you play by the rules? And if you do, why do you do so? If you don't, why don't you?

Personally, I carry a rule book (but rarely use it) to remind me to play by the rules. I know there are times I likely don't get it exactly right, but I am happy to leave the course knowing I tried to play by the rules.

I have no problem whatsoever with those who feel that they need not play by the rules to the same degree as I do. I feel that I reached a certain point in my playing and enjoyement of the game where I felt that the next most challenging thing I could do would be to play by the rules.

When I play with friends and they want to make a wager or play a match, I make sure they know I'll only do so if we are playing by the book.

What about you?

What's in my bag:
Driver: taylormade.gifBurner 09 Stiff 9.5*
Fairway Woods: adams.gifRPM Low Profile 3 & 5
Irons: mizuno.gifMP 57 - 3-PW Project X 5.5
Wedges: wilson.gifREG. 588 54* &cleveland.gif 60*Putter: ping.gifAnserBall: titleist.gifProV1x Home Course: Forest Ridge Golf Club

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if i'm playing a bunch of friends, i don't really care. I play by the rules as in i don't blatantly break rules and stuff but if I'm playing with friends and they accidently ground the club on the bunker, im not gonna make a big deal about it.

if i'm paired up with strangers, i could care less what they do. I just play my game.

and i dont play golf for money so i'm relatively laxed abotu rules. I never cheat and put down a different score. I play this game for myself and enjoyment...writing down a lower score does nothing fo rme.

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

• Administrator
/me raises hand.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I do my best to play by the rules. Alot of my friends improve their lie sometimes, or don't count certain penalties. It doesn't bother me, it is all about having fun for them.

Every now and then, I will hit a shot a second time, just to try to learn, or prove I can actually perform the shot. This usually happens when I am in a slump, or all out of whack.

Depends on what kind of round. Is it an official round where I'm going to factor it into my handicap? Am I playing for money? Etc. If I'm playing a practice round, I don't really care. If I'm playing 'for real', I follow the rules.

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

This not playing by the rules seems unique to golf.

I never watched a pickup basketball game where a shot spins around the rim but falls out and the shot gets counted as if it went in. I've never seen a softball game where someone hits a ball out of the park but just slightly foul and calls it a home run anyway. When I played racquetball there was never a time I felt the need to give my opponent the point if the ball bounced twice before he hit it, no matter how great an effort he made to get to it.

These are all games played for fun, but the rules are followed, why would there be any question if the rules should be followed for golf?

Joe Paradiso

This not playing by the rules seems unique to golf.

different rules my friend. golf is a different sport than basketball and softball...those are team sports so any kind of cheating effects the opposing team as well as the team itself.

in golf, if i'm playing with friends and he accidently bumps his putt 1 millimeter at address, am i gonna call him out on it? no. we're just out there to have fun. now if this was a tournament, it would be a different story... but i rare play tournaments these days and i'm usually just playing for fun with coworkers, clients, and friends.

I do, because I want my score to be an accurate representation of my performance. That way my handicap is also legit and I can track my progress.

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

[QUOTE=golfro;537507]different rules my friend. golf is a different sport than basketball and softball...those are team sports so any kind of cheating effects the opposing team as well as the team itself. QUOTE]

Racquetball and tennis are not team sports. I don't expect you to call your friend on it, that's his responsibility. I do expect you to call yourself on it though.

Joe Paradiso

Racquetball and tennis are not team sports. I don't expect you to call your friend on it, that's his responsibility. I do expect you to call yourself on it though.

we're making the same point... i play by the rules...but i don't care if my friends do or not.

golf for me is a sport that i'm competing with myself...no one else. when i play with friends, we're rarely playing for money or ego...we're just playing for the sake of golf. if they cheat, it effects me none at all. like i said, if I cheat, then it effects me...so I don't personally cheat since its pointless to fluff my own score since i'm just competing against myself. now if my friend gives himself a little foot wedge to improve his lie, i really don't care.

I try to play by the rules as much as possible. I will hit a provisional if it seems like I may have lost my ball. This is the rule that I tend to encounter the most

nike.gifTour
ping.gifG10 Driver 9*
ping.gifG10 3Wood 15.5*ping.gifG10 5Wood 18.5*ping.gifG10 Irons 4- PWping.gifTour Wedges 50*, 56*, 60*odyssey.gifPutter 33" Sabertoothbridgestone.gifBall E6

I do, because I want my score to be an accurate representation of my performance. That way my handicap is also legit and I can track my progress.

Yep, me too. Like any other game, you can only really play golf if you do so by the rules. I want to be able to say to anyone I meet that I play

golf ... not "sorta golf", or whatever else you call it when you play by made up rules. It's the only way I know how to play.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Slowly look out from behind a tree... me?

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I always play by the rules as I understand. But have upon occasion I have violated a rule because I didn't know the rule for the specific situation. But I don't deliberately violate the rules. I'm not an enforcer however and when playing with friends I don't object to their rules violations.

Butch

if they cheat, it effects me none at all. like i said, if I cheat, then it effects me...so I don't personally cheat since its pointless to fluff my own score since i'm just competing against myself.

I'm not so much arguing with you as I am amazed at the mentality that justifies cheating in the spirit of fun. I've never seen people take credit for pins they didn't knock down during a friendly game of bowling. It's interesting that golf which is supposedly a gentlemans game attracts so many people that don't play by the rules or expect others to.

Joe Paradiso

Good responses. It's a well known fact that golf has lots of rules and many are self enforced. That is unique to most sports. That's one of the reasons golf is considered a gentleman's game. I really do feel that by playing by the rules I am honoring the age old tradition that is golf, but I am also honoring myself, my playing partners, and the course. I feel this way personally but I don't balk when others that I play with don't feel the same way.

What's in my bag:
Driver: taylormade.gifBurner 09 Stiff 9.5*
Fairway Woods: adams.gifRPM Low Profile 3 & 5
Irons: mizuno.gifMP 57 - 3-PW Project X 5.5
Wedges: wilson.gifREG. 588 54* &cleveland.gif 60*Putter: ping.gifAnserBall: titleist.gifProV1x Home Course: Forest Ridge Golf Club

Can anyone recommend a good book to learn the rules? Besides the rules themselves that is...

I read a good book from Arnold Palmer that discusses a lot of rules...maybe all of them!

http://www.amazon.com/Playing-Rules-.../dp/0743446089

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

Note: This thread is 4942 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!