IGNORED

Question about Hole In One Etiquette

Colinb913
Note: This thread is 4952 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Life is too short to spend time thinking about those kind of people. Forget the whole thing and appreciate the fact that you made at least two friends that round.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I caddy at a really exclusive private club, and people always ask me about the members, and assume that they are all douche bags. I'm like, it's actually like any other group of people. Some are cool, some people are •••••••s. That's just how life works.

But yeah, I'm 16, and I run into lots of older members at my club. (8 % of them are thrilled to see me even playing the game. 50% ask me to play with them, 48% ask me if I'd like to play through, and 2& of people are jerks haha.

I caught up with a 4some on a par 3 (6th hole out of 18) in the middle of their 2nd tee shot. I play fast i guess haha. One of the guys didn't want to let me play through because he didn't want to wait for me on the next tee haha. I was ONE kid. That problem was taken care of when one of his buddies just said "Don't be a jerk off matt" and told me to play through hahaha.

He shanked his 6 iron into the water, I played through and stuck a 7 to 20 feet, tapped in for par, gave matt a bow, then was gone before they hit the next tee

Driver: Ping G5 Graffaloy Pro-Launch Blue 10.5*
2-Wood: Taylormade R9 TP 13*
3-iron: Titleist 609 CB
4-PW: Srixon i-701
Wedges: Hogan apex blade 50*Vokey Spin Milled 56*Cleveland 588 60*Ball: Whatever I find.

If you (the OP) are anything like me, you've replayed the scene in your head dozens of times with all the comebacks you could have said. But there's nothing snappy that a teenager (assuming from the story that you're a teen) could have said to that guy that would have come off as anything but disrespectful. You handled this perfectly. His partners know what a DB he was.

I caddy at a really exclusive private club...[snip]...He shanked his 6 iron into the water, I played through and stuck a 7 to 20 feet, tapped in for par, gave matt a bow, then was gone before they hit the next tee

You got to love the well executed play through. Sure Matt was a jerk off, but bowing isn't a very gracious way to finish either. (Unless they were joking with you, and clapping or something.) I would have waved a humble thanks and moved on knowing that Matt knows very well that he was just owned.

Plus, these guys pay your tips! What club? Turner Hills?

The "golf gods" will have their revenge on him, and smile on you.

You've already won.

Ping G2 Driver; Titleist 906F2 5W; TM Rescue Mid 3H; Adams Idea Pro 4H; Titleist DTR 3-SW; Callaway Bobby Jones Putter; Ping Hoofer lite

Play with him again. On a par three, announce.... I hope I ace this. On both my two previous aces I bought everybody a steak sandwich from the hottest cart girl of all time. Same girl both times too. And guess what, she's working today."

Then make it, and welch on the steak sammies.

:macgregor: V Foil 8.5*    :tmade: Mid Rescue 16*  -- :wilsonstaff: RM  2 thru Wedge -- :vokey: 56/10  -- :scotty_cameron: Studio Design 2  & a  :srixon: Z Star 

Yep, he was a jerk. Advice to you is to not be so sensitive - not just about golf etiquette, but about everything in life. Don't be a door mat, of course, but also don't let jerks throw you off your game.

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

I find it hard to beleive that he could be THAT cold.. You sure he wasnt joking and u took it the wrong way? Did you just randomly pair up with them mid-round?

Next time you see him play, wear a hoodie, wait in the bushes for him to take his shot, par 3. Steal that ball. Steal that ball good. Throw it in the nearest lake. Or just tee it up from the side of the green and cream it with a driver.
I bought everybody a steak sandwich from the hottest cart girl of all time

WHAT? Cart girl? Please explain.

Dont tell me you have a girl going around in a buggy selling sandwiches? FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU i would love that
Superlight 3.5 Bag
TM Superfast Driver
TM Superfast 3 Wood

Cleveland Hybore Hybrid
X-24 4-SW Irons
Ping Tour 54 - 62 WedgesOriginal Anser Putter Pro V1

Next time you see him play, wear a hoodie, wait in the bushes for him to take his shot, par 3. Steal that ball. Steal that ball good. Throw it in the nearest lake.

I'd prefer to blow an airhorn during his swing.

- DN
Sun Mountain C-130 Bag - Titanium
Ping G10 Irons PW-5
Ping G10 Driver
Ping G10 21 and 24 HybridsPing G15 17 HybridScotty Newport 2 Button BackTitleist Vokey Spin Milled 52 (8), 56 (14), and 60 (4)Titleist ProV1Backspin Buddy Groove Sharpener (yes, it works great)Adidas 360 Ltd.

I'd prefer to blow an airhorn during his swing.

Too Obvious. Arrange another game. Destroy him, call him shit, tell him he is a rape child. Inform him that you are shagging said cart girl. Rinse/Repeat

Superlight 3.5 Bag
TM Superfast Driver
TM Superfast 3 Wood

Cleveland Hybore Hybrid
X-24 4-SW Irons
Ping Tour 54 - 62 WedgesOriginal Anser Putter Pro V1

Why would you expect him to buy you something just because he made a hole in one?

Getting pissed about his attitude is one thing, but getting pissed because he didn't buy you a drink is something else. He is not obligated to buy you, (or his friends) a drink. He bought his friends a drink because their his friends, you aren't.

WITB:

Fast 10 10.5* Driver  |  adams.gif Fast 10 15* 3 Wood  |  adams.gif Idea V3 19* Hybrid  |  titleist.gif 710 AP1 4-GW  |    55* and 60* Wedges  |  Lajosi KLP7J Putter

Just forget about it. Jerks like him aren't worth getting excited about. Some guys just go through life with a 24/7 mad on for no reason. Simply avoid playing with him again if you can.

Why would you expect him to buy you something just because he made a hole in one?

Because it's a golf tradition to buy drinks at least for everyone in your group. If you are a member of a club, or playing in a tournament, then it's traditional to buy one for the house.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Because that's the rule. You get a hole in one, you're buying drinks. The guy got off easy just buying two guys a drink and stiffing the kid. It's supposed to be everyone in the clubhouse. :)

I made a hole-in-one in college. Kid on the tee box ahead watched it go in. He ran back to the green to meet me and pulled the ball out before I got there. I was annoyed by that.....and no, I didn't buy him a drink

WHAT? Cart girl? Please explain.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Because that's the rule. You get a hole in one, you're buying drinks. The guy got off easy just buying two guys a drink and stiffing the kid. It's supposed to be everyone in the clubhouse. :)

It most certainly is not the rule. I get an ace, I'm buying for my group, but the clubhouse?? Ha, no way in hell.

It most certainly is not the rule. I get an ace, I'm buying for my group, but the clubhouse?? Ha, no way in hell.

Not sure it is a "rule" , but buying drinks for the club house is a common tradition in many private clubs. In our club we all pay a few buck a month for hole in one insurance. When you get an ace you get $300 bar tab and a credit in the pro shop. The tab will buy about 40 - 60 drinks. Enough to cover drinks for everyone in the club house most days, but of course you better buy your round fast, cause once word travels there are free drinks, guys show up out of the blue.

When I play at public courses I have heard the deal is you buy for you group and the group in front and behind you. Of course no one 'deserves' a drink.
Driver R7 Superquad NV 55 shaft or Bridgestone J33 460 NV 75 shaft
3 and 5 Wood X
Hybrid original Fli Hi 21* or FT 22*
Irons AP2
Wedges Vokey 52* - 8 , 56* 14, 60*-7Putter California CoranodoBall TP RedGPS NeoRange Finder- Bushnell Tour V2 When Chuck Norris puts spin on the ball, the ball does not...

At our anual tournament in AZ this year, one of the guys made a HIO, he bought every one in the tournament (about 70 people) a drink, the bar tab came to $325.

Driver: Taylormade R9
3 Wood: Cobra S 9-1
5 Wood: Cobra S 9-1
7 Wood: Cobra S 9-1

Irons: Taylormade r7 Custom Fit (SW-4)

Putter: Taylormade Rossa Monza Spyder

Balls: Titleist Pro V1x

She's VERY NICE, reminds me of a cart girl that works/ed at Superstition Springs GC in AZ, her name was Aspen, and man she was HOT!!!

Driver: Taylormade R9
3 Wood: Cobra S 9-1
5 Wood: Cobra S 9-1
7 Wood: Cobra S 9-1

Irons: Taylormade r7 Custom Fit (SW-4)

Putter: Taylormade Rossa Monza Spyder

Balls: Titleist Pro V1x

Note: This thread is 4952 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!