Sign in to follow this  
iacas

Range Finders on the PGA Tour to Speed Play

Note: This thread is 3244 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Range Finders on the PGA Tour: Like or Dislike?

• I like the idea.
    • I dislike the idea.

41 posts / 12981 viewsLast Reply

Joe Ogilvie said this on Twitter recently:
http://twitter.com/#!/ogilviej

http://twitter.com/#!/ogilviej/status/28059538857: Would it be that bad to allow PGA Tour players laser range finders or Skycaddies? Most sprinklers are wrong or not marked anyway.

http://twitter.com/#!/ogilviej/status/28366546396: Skycaddie saves 15-20 min. off a round of tour golf. No brainer. Golf hates technology, I get it, but also a realist. Downside is zero

http://twitter.com/#!/ogilviej/status/28366733730: And BTW I bet Skycaddie or Bushnell would pay 1-3MM for exclusive, I love capitalism and $$$ even though not making much lately.

Thoughts?

Mine are "go for it." I like the idea a lot, but doubt it will speed play by 15-20 minutes.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

I am for it. I always find it ironic that the on-course commentator will walk to the ball and tell the TV audience exactly what the yardage is (with their GPS or rangefinder), and then we watch the pro and his/her caddy go through 5 minutes of banter on what they think the yardage is. Frankly, I don't watch or go to the tournaments to see the skill the caddy has in interpreting the yardage book and pacing off from sprinklers; I watch the skill and talent of the player hitting the necessary shot. I don't see how using rangefinders on Tour would in any way diminish the player's or viewer's experience, and increasing pace of play could instead improve it.

With that said, my caveat is that I don't think that the yardage guessing is what slows the pace the most, as it seems much of their yardage determination is done while waiting for players on the green. If we could just teach these guys to be faster on the greens instead of mimicking Jack Nicklaus' old deliberate style the pace would pick up significantly.

I agree. I don't think this will have any significant impact on the speed of play - perhaps a little. The guys need to be faster on the greens, faster to hit their shots, and better know how to handle the simple rulings without calling officials over for every little thing.

But if this saves 10 minutes, I see no real downside.

I see no reason not to. It takes pressure off caddies and, if anything, speeds up play (or at least it won't slow play).

I wonder who would institute it though, the TOUR or the USGA? Most of the USGA's recent rule changes have been to make the game harder for top players, while rangefinders would (presumably) do the opposite. Then again, I would find it hard to believe the TOUR would do something like this alone.

I like the idea. If the sprinkler heads are accurate then they are going to get the yardage anyway. If they are incorrect then there is no sense in making the yardage a guessing game.

I wonder who would institute it though, the TOUR or the USGA? Most of the USGA's recent rule changes have been to make the game harder for top players, while rangefinders would (presumably) do the opposite. Then again, I would find it hard to believe the TOUR would do something like this alone.

The USGA already allows it. The PGA Tour would simply have to enact that condition of competition.

It has nothing to do with making the game harder or easier. Caddies have good yardages - it just takes them awhile to figure it out.

I don't see why they wouldn't. They are already allowed to walk the course and mark distances in a notebook using landmarks. The rangefinders would be more accurate than the notes taken while walking the course, but the speed up in play would be worth it.

Would not matter after they have the distance they would then have a conversation about the wind and what club to hit. Speed of play really isn't and shouldn't be an issue. TV just shows the shot and the fans are just watching certain players.

I agree. I don't think this will have any significant impact on the speed of play - perhaps a little. The guys need to be faster on the greens, faster to hit their shots, and better know how to handle the simple rulings without calling officials over for every little thing.

OK, I am starting to agree with you on this topic. I don't see a downside, and I think it could save a small amount of time. With all the tools at their disposal, what is wrong with having a gps or rangefinder? It will not give them different information, just give them the same information in a different way.

In a recent Bushnell ad online it stated that the tour caddies already use rangefinders before tournaments to verify yardage books, is this just a load of bs trying to sell their product, or is it true?

ps i saw this ad on Golfsmith.com

In a recent Bushnell ad online it stated that the tour caddies already use rangefinders before tournaments to verify yardage books, is this just a load of bs trying to sell their product, or is it true?

They makes yardage notes in their yardage book with a rangefinder.

It wouldn't bother me but what would the caddies really do that a pull cart couldn't replace besides maybe advise on what shot to hit. It could really change the dynamics of Professional golf which could be a good thing.

I'm all for it, although my reasons have pretty much been stated already.

It wouldn't bother me but what would the caddies really do that a pull cart couldn't replace besides maybe advise on what shot to hit. It could really change the dynamics of Professional golf which could be a good thing.

Rake the bunkers, clean the clubs, be a good psychologist (keep the player focused, from getting down after a bad shot, etc). There's lots that caddies do that doesn't figure directly into hitting the next shot.

That suggests that the only purpose caddies have now is to do simple math and look at drawings on pieces of paper to get the numbers to do that math.

Caddies do more than that.

That suggests that the only purpose caddies have now is to do simple math and look at drawings on pieces of paper to get the numbers to do that math.

It's not that I don't think caddies are important. I understand the Peping up there players, helping with club selection and general maintenace but yardage is a huge part of there job. With Range finders we could be seeing more and more doctor Phils carring bags :)

Note: This thread is 3244 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!