IGNORED

Rory McIlroy Topic (Was "Overrated")

senorchipotle

I am disgusted with myself for saying this, and I know Tigs will hate me for it too, but Rors is a stud.  absolute stud.  when hes on its scary.  the driver swing is dead sexxxy.

Colin, Tigs won't hate you for it. Pretty sure he thinks the exact same thing just won't admit it too much ;)

I haven't seen someone drive the ball nearly as good as Rory has the last 5-10 years. We're talking extremely explosive distance and accuracy. His confidence is through the roof. Amazing.

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

Colin, Tigs won't hate you for it. Pretty sure he thinks the exact same thing just won't admit it too much ;) I haven't seen someone drive the ball nearly as good as Rory has the last 5-10 years. We're talking extremely explosive distance and accuracy. His confidence is through the roof. Amazing.

Lol, you're right... I wish Tigs wasn't just my imaginary friend. Rory's confidence is sky high, and he has been hitting driver wonderfully. However, when he misses one it goes off the planet.

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Lol, you're right... I wish Tigs wasn't just my imaginary friend. Rory's confidence is sky high, and he has been hitting driver wonderfully. However, when he misses one it goes off the planet.

As expected though. Babe Ruth struck out once in a while too :))

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrator
Is the OP still active on this Forum? I'm curious about his current assessment of McIlroy and his golfing future.

cubdog

Well, he was last online in July… so… I'm going with "no."

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Is the OP still active on this Forum? I'm curious about his current assessment of McIlroy and his golfing future. cubdog

No sure it really matters though. Rory might not be overrated now, but just because he's turned out to be good in hindsight doesn't mean he wasn't overrated a few years ago based on what we knew of him at the time.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

No sure it really matters though. Rory might not be overrated now, but just because he's turned out to be good in hindsight doesn't mean he wasn't overrated a few years ago based on what we knew of him at the time.

I remember reading a Golf Digest article on him either during his rookie year or just before it, comparing him to Tiger Woods. I didn't even know who the guy was and they were already crowning him the next Tiger. So yea, at some point his resume did not match the hype.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Was sex overrated before you had it?

I'm still curious about his view of Rory today. It's a valid question.

cubdog

Ross (aka cubdog)

I didn't even know who the guy was and they were already crowning him the next Tiger. So yea, at some point his resume did not match the hype.

The hype was based on the fact that at 16, to anyone but a blind person,  he was as  huge a talent as has ever lived. That was his resume.

He was never overrated.

A lot of American golf fans didn't see him play Asian events or European events before he played in the odd PGA Tour events. At 17 he was just jaw-droppingly amazing.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

But he could be longer with better accuracy...

It looks like they shut down comments on the video. It will probably open up again if Rory has an off year or a big loss in a major.

Love the narrator who makes it sound like a political attack ad and the "sciencey" graphs that don't show anything. Was the critique of Hogan's early years really necessary to make their point? The losing swing isn't what he won with. His late success plus the comeback is part of what makes his story great!

The critique of x-factor and the rocket stage analogy aren't too bad, but 45 minutes, really?

Not understanding the value of Rory's 'hip bump' in getting his weight to the left side demonstrates serious ignorance.

Kevin

It looks like they shut down comments on the video. It will probably open up again if Rory has an off year or a big loss in a major. Love the narrator who makes it sound like a political attack ad and the "sciencey" graphs that don't show anything. Was the critique of Hogan's early years really necessary to make their point? The losing swing isn't what he won with. His late success plus the comeback is part of what makes his story great! The critique of x-factor and the rocket stage analogy aren't too bad, but 45 minutes, really? Not understanding the value of Rory's 'hip bump' in getting his weight to the left side demonstrates serious ignorance.

Sounds like a familiar thread : http://thesandtrap.com/t/75116/goofy-rory-video-knee-angle-measurement-in-golf-swing

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

If I understand correctly, the OP called him overrated based on his expectations for the future. Not based on his results at that time. Well, it looks like he's exceeding those expectations. But you're right it's still hindsight, or as we day in Dutch: Looking a cow in the ass. Would still be interesting to see how OP is looking back now.. :)

~Jorrit

• 3 months later...
[URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/113562/] [/URL] [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/113563/] [/URL]

I know that chart omits his non-Euro results, but that's just sick. Very few people can compete with that.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

[quote name="Crim" url="/t/41366/rory-mcilroy-is-overrated/270#post_1101544"][URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/113562/] [/URL] [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/113563/] [/URL]

I know that chart omits his non-Euro results, but that's just sick. Very few people can compete with that.[/quote]Yawn. Why don't they show what he did 8 tourneys ago? Probably hiding something. Stats can show anything you want them to. :)

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

• 3 weeks later...

Rory roars, since the very start of this post, and will do it louder again and again. His howling is so dominating now, nobody can ignore it, mainly other best players in the world.

The tiger is shabby now, maybe he will scratch again a jot, but a new feline area has come.