IGNORED

Rory McIlroy Topic (Was "Overrated")

senorchipotle

Not everyone is a charging Arnold Palmer, or a fist-pumping Tiger Woods. You say Rory won't be a Jack, but Jack Nicklaus was more of an iceman when he played, not fiery.

I believe his reference to "fire" is the motivation and the drive not the manner in which he conducts himself on the course.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

By no means am I saying that he isn't good, cause he's great. He's just not that great. I think Rory will be the next Lee Westwood, albeit with a prettier swing. I know a lot of you think/wish/hope he'll be the second coming, but I'm not buying that product. He hasn't shown me that fire you need to be a multiple major winner. I say he finishes his career with 2, maybe 3 majors and 10-15 tournament wins. I reckon he'll be a hall of famer, but never classed with the likes of tiger, jack, palmer, player, etc. thoughts...?

2 or 3 majors is a pretty good haul these days.

He probably won't beat Tiger or Jack, but I reckon he will beat Ryan Palmer with ease.

----------------------------------
909D3 10.5 Matrix Code 6
909F2 15.5 and 18.5 Whiteboard
585H Ozik Altus
MP68 4-P, KBS ZTP 52. 56, 60 KBS DASS Luke DonaldHome club: http://www.bearwoodlakes.co.uk/hm/hm.aspx

he could easily have won the open and the pga this year and he's only 21, im thinking he'll be around for some time - besides, have you seen his golf swing?

Cobra S2 Driver
Nike SQ 3 Wood
Nike Sumo SQ 3 Hybrid
Callaway X-16 Irons 3-PW
Nike Victory Red 56 and 60 WedgesScotty Cameron Newport 1.5 Putter

Interesting post Clambake. Perhaps it's understandable to be texting about the Ferrari at his age and stage. He has shown that he has the nerve and talent to earn that reward in spades. As to his future, he will discover that if he wishes to dominate in the game, or even win fairly consistently, he will need to have tremendous focus and determination - as did TW in reaching #1. Texting when he should be narrowing his mental focus will not be an option. Rory seems to have the talent, we shall see if he has the true ambition and willingness to do what is necessary. If he can keep some of that youthful enthusiasm as he ages, that will help him as well.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Interesting post Clambake. Perhaps it's understandable to be texting about the Ferrari at his age and stage. He has shown that he has the nerve and talent to earn that reward in spades. As to his future, he will discover that if he wishes to dominate in the game, or even win fairly consistently, he will need to have tremendous focus and determination - as did TW in reaching #1. Texting when he should be narrowing his mental focus will not be an option. Rory seems to have the talent, we shall see if he has the true ambition and willingness to do what is necessary. If he can keep some of that youthful enthusiasm as he ages, that will help him as well.

Tiger's done his fair share of texting.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

By no means am I saying that he isn't good, cause he's great. He's just not that great. I think Rory will be the next Lee Westwood, albeit with a prettier swing. I know a lot of you think/wish/hope he'll be the second coming, but I'm not buying that product.

Quail Hollow Back 9 on sunday wasnt he back in 29

Tiger's done his fair share of texting.

lol

Not going there - I'm in big enough trouble as it is. Rory, like DJ, seems a resilient sort of fellow. That bodes well IMO.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

McIlroy isn't overrated....but the guy everyone was comparing him to 12-18 months ago, Danny Lee, is .
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°
TaylorMade RAC TP MB 3-PW
TaylorMade RAC TP 54°.10 / 58°.10
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Overhyped? Maybe. Overrated? Not at all. McIlroy has the type of game that's going to put him in contention in a lot of majors, and he is going to win his fair share of them when all is said and done. If you think of all he has done by age 21, it's pretty impressive to say the least. The media hypes him up a ton which is out of his control, but the kid can play. He will eventually be the top golfer in the world, and I won't be surprised if it happens in the next couple years.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Lets look at it this way. Ben Hogan won his first Major at the age of 34. He then went on to win 8 more over the next 7 years.

Rory is 21.

As Hogan proved, if you have the talent, an awful lot can happen for you in the game of Golf over a relatively short period of time. Rory has a long, long time to make things happen. Of course the competition today is probably tougher than it was in Hogan's era, so I'm not going to say he'll have as successful a career, but who's to say. Given his talent the lenght of career he should have, he's likely to win a few.
A great shot is when you go for it and pull it off. A smart shot is when you don't have the guts to try it. ~ Phil Mickelson.

Rory dominated European amateur golf since he was a teenager. It's not as if he just appeared on tour, there's a reason there's so much hype about him.

He's not Tiger but he's a great golfer.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

he could easily have won the open and the pga this year and he's only 21, im thinking he'll be around for some time - besides, have you seen his golf swing?

well, if it was that easy, why didn't he do it? like i said, he's got a beautiful swing, but then again so does ernie els who has arguably the soundest swing of all time. and he's only got 3 majors. but i'm not talking about that. the ''fire'' i referenced earlier is the drive to beat everyone and anyone. that starts on the putting green. take tiger and jack for instance. they've hit putts nobody had any business making, when it counted, when their iron game was slipping and they weren't top form, everybody always knew that there was a chance they'd sink that 20 footer. i don't see that with rory.

Quail Hollow Back 9 on sunday wasnt he back in 29

yeah, and stuart appleby shot a 59. what's your point?

Lets look at it this way. Ben Hogan won his first Major at the age of 34. He then went on to win 8 more over the next 7 years.

touche......

He's just not that great. I think Rory will be the next Lee Westwood, albeit with a prettier swing. I reckon he'll be a hall of famer

Funny post. I almost thought you were serious at first. You said all this in the same paragraph??? He sucks. He will be the next #1 golfer in the world. He will be in the golf hall of fame. Funny guy :D -Dan

A common theme with the young'uns coming through is to see prodigious length and good/great ball striking ability and to assume greatness. But with Rory, and some of his newly charging peers. they need to learn to score "consistently". Rory is at best, a mediocre putter in PGA terms, like others in his peer group. They can bomb it miles but cannot make the critical putts when they count - consistently. The key to greatness is a strong ability to score - and this requires a highly developed short game. But as mentioned in another response, putting gets no attention.

Saw another thread today on the (apparent) impact that long game focus had on Tiger and Phil. They used to be exemplary short game wizards, but now look kinda normal and the pattern seems to follow from working on long game at the expense of short game.

I would love to see Rory be the next great thing, but he needs to be a great putter to be a great golfer. I just don't see how it can be otherwise.....

Funny post. I almost thought you were serious at first.

no, actually i didn't say any of that. i said precisely what i said. you decided that it would be amusing to misquote me and take my points out of context. and truth be told, you weren't even that clever about it.

no, actually i didn't say any of that. i said precisely what i said. you decided that it would be amusing to misquote me and take my points out of context. and truth be told, you weren't even that clever about it.

You didn't use the S word, or a novelty font size.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I thought it was funny