IGNORED

Are shorter putters better?

q7w
Note: This thread is 4831 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Yea, sounds like an odd question.

But I never really tried a short putter until today. I've always used standard length ones.

Sure, I had to bend over more, but something about it felt better when I was making putts, I dunno.

Maybe it's my putting style. Does anyone else use short putters? Good/Bad experiences?

Or is it all in my head? lol
taylormade.gif - Taylor Made R11 Driver, 9*
taylormade.gif - Burner 2.0" 4-AW Steel
vokey.gif - Vokey 56*, 60*, 64*
odyssey.gif - Odyssey ProType PT 82

titleist.gif - Pro-V1  taylormade.gif - TMX Stand Bag

How short are you talking? My putter is 34* 1* under std. I love it!
It's what ever suits very, putters are very personal!

Driver: 909D3 8.5* Diamana White Board X
3 Wood: MP 630 15* GRAFALLOY PROLAUNCH RED X
Hybrid: 909H 19* "Real" VooDoo X
3 - P: MP-68 KBS Tour Black Nickel X
56* 10 Wedge Vr60* 06 Wedge: VrPutter: Custom Made.Golf Ball: TOUR B330SI am the greatest, I said that even before I knew I was....

I used a short putter(24") for a season, made a lot of putts Mon-Sat, but not on Sunday morning (Bending over with a hangover is not a good thing!)

Wishon  715 CLC-AXE5 A shaft -hard steppedt -44.5"
4 wood-Infiniti 17*-UST IROD A shaft-Hard stepped(2009 model)
Hybrids 19* & 24*-Trident DSW-UST IROD Hybrid A shaft-hard stepped (2009 model)
Irons-5-PW- Wilson Staff Progressive Forged-TT Release  sensicore( 5&6-Soft stepped R-7,8&9-R-wedge hard stepped R
Wedges-52*-Wilson JP BeCE(54* bent to 52*)-TT-Release sensicore-hard stepped R

56*Wilson R-61 BECU Sandy Andy- Release sensicore tipped same as 8 iron

60* Wilson Harmonized BECU-Release sensicore tipped same as 8 iron

Woods- Star Grips  Irons Energy Grips

:Putter-Rife IBF with Ping Blackout Grip-35"

Ball-Wilson Staff Zip Golf. or C-25

Well, an interesting side note, Robert Garrigus won the Children's Miracle golf tournament last week in Florida with a 28.5" putter. I won't be using a putter that short, but I did have a recent experience that is making me lean toward a shorter putter for the first time in 20 years.

I received a Yamada Musashi (85029) two days ago. However, it was 33" long and had a lie angle of 71 deg. My normal specs are 36.25" and 74 deg. I took this short putter out yesterday and putted better than ever to my surprise. I just wanted to get an idea of what the new putter felt like. I work on Nantucket and there is no golf shop here so I will have to fly off island to get a new shaft and get the tiny grip switched out with a larger grip.

However, after what I saw yesterday, I am considering a 34.25" shaft instead of the 36.25" I had planned on using. While 33" was a bit too short for me (I am 6'6"), I found my arms hanging more naturally and I think this is largely responsible for why this putter worked so well.

Granted, the Yamada is bad azz and the burning copper on the carbon had incredible feel. But I think it was the shorter length that provided much of the instantaneous improvement in my putting stroke. From 15-20' all misses were 1' from the hole, over and over. I had an uncanny sense of touch today that far surpasses my norm. This finding fits into the suggestion from putting guru Geoff Mangum. I read the below article on his website last week and he pretty much said that most folks would benefit from a shorter putter. He also suggested most folks would benefit from a more upright lie angle. Perhaps the below article would be of interest to you. If you have not seen his site, be sure to click on "Tips" as there is tons of info there. You could literally read all day about how to improve your putting.

http://puttingzone.com/MyTips/lengthlie.html

http://www.puttingzone.com/ziptips.html

-Dan

There's no real answer to this. Putters are very personal. I prefer to bend over a bit with my putter stance. My putter is cut down to 32.5. It's whatever feels best to you.

What I Play:

Driver: R9 460
4 Wood: G15

Hy: Callaway FT 3Hy

Irons: AP1 4-PW

Wedges: Vokey 52* & 60*, Mizuno MP-T 10 58*

Putter: Newport Studio Select 2.7

Ball: Nike One Vapor

I switched to a 33" putter last year and putt way better with it than with the 35" I was using.

In my :nike:  bag on my :clicgear: cart ...

Driver: :ping: G10 9*    3-Wood: :cleveland: Launcher
Hybrid: :adams: 20* Hybrid      Irons: :ping: i5 4-GW - silver dot, +1/2"
Wedges: :cleveland: 56* (bent to 54*) and 60* CG10     Putter: :ping: Craz-e (original blue)

Thks for the replys.

Sounds like I'm on to something here, personally that is.

I think my next putter will be a little shorter. hopefully it can bring me some results on the green.
taylormade.gif - Taylor Made R11 Driver, 9*
taylormade.gif - Burner 2.0" 4-AW Steel
vokey.gif - Vokey 56*, 60*, 64*
odyssey.gif - Odyssey ProType PT 82

titleist.gif - Pro-V1  taylormade.gif - TMX Stand Bag

i think its all relative
if you like it shorter and it instills confidence in your stroke...then get at er!

i just cut my new Scotty down from 35" to 34" and it feels much more natural
yeah you could just choke down, but it doesnt feel the same IMO
"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

Thks for the replys.

Have you tried choking down on your putter? That's the first step I'd make, and if you really like it just get your putter cut down. Fwiw, I like the feel of a 35" putter, and the ability to choke down/adjust depending on the shot.

Have you tried choking down on your putter? That's the first step I'd make, and if you really like it just get your putter cut down. Fwiw, I like the feel of a 35" putter, and the ability to choke down/adjust depending on the shot.

I don't know how to explain it but choking down on a putter isn't the same as having a shorter putter (at least for me). I know it sounds crazy, but to me a 35" putter that I choke down on and a 34" putter isn't the same.

I have 2 identical putters; one has been cut to 34" and the other one is my backup and it is still at 35". I would have to cut down by backup before I use it... Plus if a putter is too long the butt end sometimes catches on my shirt/jacket and it screws up my stroke.

Titleist Bias - 907D2 9.5 V2 Stiff | 906F2 15 V2 Stiff | 710MB 3-PW DG300 | 52, 56 SM Vokes | Tom Slighter - 2007 Tacoma FPR

This is something I have been reading up on lately, and it was interesting to note that while the average length putter sold for men is 35", the average length used on tour is 33 " to 33.5".

I have a 35" and felt it was too long, so I used some duct tape below the grip to build it up until it was almost the same thickness as the grip, then finished it off with grip tape (hockey sticks, bats, etc). It only took a short time to tell me this was the ticket, so I cut it down to 33" and installed a new grip. Perfect!

I have a standard length putter, but if I could afford a new putter, I'd definitely get a shorter one. Right now I grip mine with a standard reverse overlap grip, and my right pointer finger is off the grip. Personally I like to be hunched over so that it feels like the upper part of my spine is perpendicular to the putter shaft. Personally I get a more consistent pendulum feeling not having to worry as much about two planes.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

i think its all relative

I would agree 100%. I had a scotty cut down to 32.5 inches, because I feel when my hands fall down to a comfortable position, thats where I want the end of my putter to be. A shorter putter will cut weight, so I reccommend lead tape if you find it too light, but I think shorter putter makes medium to short length putts much easier and long length lags more accurate. If all else fails and I can't sink any, I go to a 31 inch Odyssey that always works.

Best of luck.

Whats in my 14 Way Stand Bag?? Just...
taylormade.gif Superfast TP 8.5* Matrix HD6 Stiff
taylormade.gif '07 Burner 5 wood 18* Snr. 50g
titleist.gif 710 AP2 3-PW w/ Dy. Gold S300
taylormade.gif Z TP 52* 8* stock wedgeflexscratch.gif 8620 56* with D/S grindcallaway.gif 2009 Forged X-Tour 60* 10* bounce stock wedgeflexcameron.gif Pro Platinum Laguna 2.5, 32.5inches

It is all preference like anything else in golf that you use. I went and hit the Odyssey #9 putter again today after work just now in 33,34, and 35in. lengths and I found that the 35in. worked best for me by far. Of course its just how it feels to you because if your sinking putt after putt, you might as well buy that putter at that length.

A buddy of mine uses a 33 in. Anser and loves it.. I can't hit it

- VR Pro LTD - 9.5 Ahina X

- VR_S 3, 5 woods - Fubuki X

- VR Pro Combo - 3-Pw S300's
nike.gif - VR VRev Wedges - 52, 58 

- Method 001 - 34in.

- 20XI-S

- 20XI Staff Bag

This is something I have been reading up on lately, and it was interesting to note that while the average length putter sold for men is 35", the average length used on tour is 33 " to 33.5".

Where did you read this? I see a lot of 33, 34, and 35" putters for sale. Mostly 34s and never 36 or higher (unless you count belly putters). How could 35 be the average?!?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Mine is 33 inches. I would be willing to bet that most people are using putters that are too long for them, but it's probably partially an ego thing.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 4831 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!