IGNORED

2010 Chevron World Challenge

wrx_junki
Note: This thread is 4858 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Yeah, he really faltered down the stretch, sticking it to 18 inches on the last.

erik, i know youre somewhat of a tiger fan, im sure not a tiger nut like i am - but dont you think that tiger hasnt had any kind of turnaround on his putting game since april when he came back? it certainly hasnt been what we have expected of him - and its what held him back yesterday. do you think hes not seeing the line anymore or is it a bad stroke? btw...i was DEVASTATED yesterday when he lost...

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator
erik, i know youre somewhat of a tiger fan, im sure not a tiger nut like i am - but dont you think that tiger hasnt had any kind of turnaround on his putting game since april when he came back? it certainly hasnt been what we have expected of him - and its what held him back yesterday. do you think hes not seeing the line anymore or is it a bad stroke?

I like to see good golf, and I still think Tiger's capable of the best golf of anyone out there. Was not capable of it in 2010, but as a person, still the best. So yesterday was not a big deal to me, except that I saw LOTS of signs all week that Tiger's close to being that guy again. He's on the path, anyway.

His putting has largely been ignored in 2010. I expect he may not make quite as many putts as he used to, but he also used to win by 15 or 12 or 8. The short putts in particular are something he can get back to making. I believe he's stubborn enough to rationalize away the misses, and that type of approach can keep you from building up a lot of mental baggage. I'm not that worried about his putting. He didn't exactly putt well all week, and granted he only had to beat 17 guys, but that shows how well he struck the ball, generally.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

BTW, the odds of McDowell making both of the putts he made on 18 are roughly 1 in 40. Throw in the up and down on 17 and the odds go to 1 in 400.

That's about right I suppose but the odds are as much a function of mental state/toughness etc than anything else on a Sunday. McDowell does seem to have The Right Stuff when it comes to his short game/putting when the pressure cooker is hissing away nicely ...... that little smile tells it all IMO. It seems to say, "bring it on ...."

I didn't follow the tourney much but it's clear that Tiger should feel good about how he played. When he's recovered from his disappointment - which he likely already has - the memory will help him come the new year. As to that big breaker on the playoff hole - what a *******' putt!

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Graeme is the man, Ive never witness someone "tiger woods-ing" tiger on the 18th green before and all the better that hes an Irishman, delighted that tigers getting back to his best but as an Irishman I was screaming Graeme on!!

I missed the ending, just watched Sat and the beginning of Sundays round. My comments are on Tiger.

Man, he looks good with everything but his putter. He used to be automatic inside of 5 feet. Not this year (but what a practice facility at his house he is building, I have no doubt that will be back). He missed some shots, but they weren't wild like he was. It looked so effortless and repeatable without the head movement and the deeper hands and staying on top of the ball.

To me I just can't see anyone in the world playing with him with his refined move and gets his putter to be good again. It was lots of fun to watch him play well. I'm surprised he didn't win, but I expect greatness in 2011 from Mr. Woods.

Brian

I called that Tiger's putt on the 1st playoff hole was either going to define the start of an epic comeback or delay it another six months... we'll see if that happens.

I don't think there's too much wrong technically with Tiger's game right now...a few tweaks here and there, but I think the issue is that, as has been said quite often this year, guys on the tour now aren't going to mentally fold if there's a final-day pairing with him and [Insert Name Here] .

That intimidation factor's gone...in fact, I think it pretty much started with the YE Yang > Tiger Woods 4th day at the PGA Championship last year...
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°
TaylorMade RAC TP MB 3-PW
TaylorMade RAC TP 54°.10 / 58°.10
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

I didn't watch the tournament, but based on some of the comments here, it seems that Tiger's putting again let him down. This should be of concern, as it seems that diminished putting is what causes the dominating players to lose their dominance. You could go down the list, from Hogan, Palmer, Watson, Miller, Singh, etc. Unless Tiger's putting returns back to earlier times, he will no longer dominate. Sure, he will win some more tournaments, maybe even a few more majors, but he won't be the force as in the past. I could be wrong. We'll see.

I didn't watch the tournament, but based on some of the comments here, it seems that Tiger's putting again let him down. This should be of concern, as it seems that diminished putting is what causes the dominating players to lose their dominance. You could go down the list, from Hogan, Palmer, Watson, Miller, Singh, etc. Unless Tiger's putting returns back to earlier times, he will no longer dominate. Sure, he will win some more tournaments, maybe even a few more majors, but he won't be the force as in the past. I could be wrong. We'll see.

He missed 3 really short ones early, but he also made a few long par savers.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

he will get his putting back and will dominate again very soon. its not easy to get back to what you do best after your life has been ruined (even if it was his own fault). he'll be back

Cobra S2 Driver
Nike SQ 3 Wood
Nike Sumo SQ 3 Hybrid
Callaway X-16 Irons 3-PW
Nike Victory Red 56 and 60 WedgesScotty Cameron Newport 1.5 Putter

I haven't been paying much attention to the tech threads regarding his swing changes etc, but is he now standing closer to the ball? Seemed so to me, and his overall swing looked much more connected. Some huge drives, too.

Note: This thread is 4858 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!