IGNORED

Intimidation

kennay92
Note: This thread is 4889 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I don't disagree with anything mirv said. The Bobby Jones comment about golf being played between the golfer's ears is probably one of the more important aspects of the game. As my Dad used to tell me "no matter if you believe you can or you can't, you're probably right".

Thats a henry ford quote, its a great quote!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I cared (which I don't), the only equipment that would ever intimidate me is a setup with excessive wear directly on the sweet spot.

Well said, as usual. I think too many people here get caught up in club envy. Guys are all too eager to proclaim their superiority in spite of their equipment, ah hem, short comings. IMO, you shouldn't be checking out another guy's equipment in the 1st place.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

i'd just like to say that i agree that there is no shame in having nice equipment. the clubs in my bag (when they were all new) probably cost me somewhere in the neighborhood of a grand (seems like i remember the victory red blades running about $800 on most sites, but i found a brand new set on ebay for $500), but i can go out on my home course and usually do no worse than 80, so i feel like i'm okay to play, y'know... "name brand" "expensive" gear. it just seems silly to me for a person to be a 20 handicap and be carrying around $1500 worth of clubs. also, i agree with not being bothered by what a person has in their bag or how well they hit it. seems like i read that arnold palmer's dad admonished him "don't ever worry about somebody else's next shot. focus on your own."

When I started up again I was embarrassed after a while of my old sticks, primarily my woods especially my driver. I knew I really needed new clubs so I got a bunch of nice ones. When I think about it now I never look at what any one else is playing except close friends that use certain clubs. I guess my fear was unfounded.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

ive played in a few tournaments this year-- and ive been too concerned or nervous lol... to worry about what the other guys in my group are playing/using....

i might look at my friends bag-- but that about it...

If I look in a guy's bag, and all of his clubs have little tiny dark wear spots in the direct center of the face, even the driver, then I'm intimidated. Otherwise, it's totally irrelevant. I've seen hackers with a bag of beautiful clubs, and I've seen amazing players with a bag of goodwill junk. Clubs do not make the player.

If I look in a guy's bag, and all of his clubs have little tiny dark wear spots in the direct center of the face, even the driver, then I'm intimidated. Otherwise, it's totally irrelevant. I've seen hackers with a bag of beautiful clubs, and I've seen amazing players with a bag of goodwill junk. Clubs do not make the player.

Same criteria I use - unfortunately by that criteria, nobody is ever intimidated by my gear (i.e. ever!).

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I love the irony of the "it doesn't matter what clubs you play, I never look, who cares, etc" posts, followed by signatures describing every stick in ther bag - manufacturer, club, even SHAFT flex for crying out loud. Why not post the brand of grip too? (laughing in amusement, not malicious in any way, as my avatar promotes SC putters) Anyone have 1 3/4 wraps of tape on the grip of the hybrids, changing the swingweight a half point, as well as 13.4024 grams of lead tape on the toe of the backup driver? If so, get it in your sig now!!

:macgregor: V Foil 8.5*    :tmade: Mid Rescue 16*  -- :wilsonstaff: RM  2 thru Wedge -- :vokey: 56/10  -- :scotty_cameron: Studio Design 2  & a  :srixon: Z Star 

i know guys with new sticks that suck...i know a guy who gets a new set every other year...and is a plus 1...to assume anything based off the clubs is not wise.

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

I love the irony of the "it doesn't matter what clubs you play, I never look, who cares, etc" posts, followed by signatures describing every stick in ther bag - manufacturer, club, even SHAFT flex for crying out loud.

I don't see there being any contradiction. I don't determine whether someone on the forum is good or not based on their sig, but it's still occasionally interesting to see what people are playing. Also, I'm less likely to be thinking about someone else's clubs when actually in the middle of a round, whereas I might ask about it afterward.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

I love the irony of the "it doesn't matter what clubs you play, I never look, who cares, etc" posts, followed by signatures describing every stick in ther bag - manufacturer, club, even SHAFT flex for crying out loud. Why not post the brand of grip too? (laughing in amusement, not malicious in any way, as my avatar promotes SC putters) Anyone have 1 3/4 wraps of tape on the grip of the hybrids, changing the swingweight a half point, as well as 13.4024 grams of lead tape on the toe of the backup driver? If so, get it in your sig now!!

You laugh at people who put their equipment in their sig line? That's odd. Not too many people are saying they aren't at least curious about what other people find as the perfect blend of equipment for their skill level. I've commented to guys with 100% TM or Cally bags (including the bag and the clothing) that they should be getting residuals, but the question is about "intimidation". When I see a guy with X shafts and a goofball swing, I know we're gonna be wearing out the right rough all day looking for his tee ball.

BTW - your avatar doesn't actually "promote" anything. It's just a picture.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I would say that there is certainly a correlation between "better" clubs and better players, but it's a fairly small one and not worth being intimidated from.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Promote ineed the wrong choice of words.

I'm not laughing at anyone... just enjoying the irony. Posting "I don't look at other bags-it doesn't matter-who cares" but then attaching your entire bag, even shaft flex to every post here, most of which are read by complete strangers who will never be met? BOTH the opinion and the sigs can be 100% ok of course, but put them together, and it's humorous is all. No judgements made, which I tried to point out by mentioning that I have perhaps the most over-hyped golf club brand of all time right smack in my own avatar.

Cheers.

:macgregor: V Foil 8.5*    :tmade: Mid Rescue 16*  -- :wilsonstaff: RM  2 thru Wedge -- :vokey: 56/10  -- :scotty_cameron: Studio Design 2  & a  :srixon: Z Star 

I am a tech junkie, i love golf tech, so i am always keen on what other people play, but it doesn't bother me. I like what i use and know what i am confident in..

i say this, never diss a guy who uses a putter older than you, he probably will whip the floor with you on the greens ;b

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I don't see there being any contradiction.

Not a contradiction.... Irony.

I notice clubs more at the range than the course. One thing I have found is that guys who aren't sharp enough to buy genuine logo products usually aren't very good ballstrikers either.

It ain't bragging if you can do it.

Taylor Made Burner '09 8.5* UST Pro Force V2, Mizuno F-60 3 wood UST Pro Force V2, Mizuno MP-68 3-PW  S300, Bobby Jones Wedges S and L, Nike Ignite 001, Leupold GX-II

It doesn't matter to me what others play, but of course it matters what I play.

I don't have signatures on, so I don't care, but others like to know what people play. Forum is not the same as on the course anyways.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

I notice clubs more at the range than the course. One thing I have found is that guys who aren't sharp enough to buy genuine logo products usually aren't very good ballstrikers either.

lol I can agree with this generally...

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

Note: This thread is 4889 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!