IGNORED

Padraig Harrington disqualified in Abu Dhabi

JobJob
Note: This thread is 4811 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

again feeling very confident that this TV police thing is bullshit...3 dimples and moved back on about 1.5 dimples...with the help of slow mo and instant replay. awesome, i can just see these geeks sitting in front of the replay with a scale model to confirm the movement of approx. 3/16th of an inch.

STUPID

hire an official aready and tell TV viewers to have another drink and enjoy the show.

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

I'm not a fan of the TV police either, but as they say.........the rules are the rules. A DQ was all they could do.

Sub 70 849 9* driver

:callaway:  Rogue 3 & 5 woods, Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids

:tmade: SIM 2 6-gap irons

:cobra:  King snakebite grove wedges 52 & 58*

:ping: Heppler ZB3 putter

It certainly seems Draconian to disqualify a golfer for an unintentional mistake of such small proportion.  But what is the alternative?  Officials can’t read a mind about intentions. How much authority should officials have in determining when a violation should be ignored and when it shouldn't?  Should the rules allow a golfer to reposition the ball without penalty if only a small distance and unintentional and have officials make this decision like in other sports (just a matter of degree)?  I guess, while imperfect, it is better for the game if the rules are strictly enforced and there isn't any "judgement" calls.  I hate to say that as Padraig is one of my favorite pro golfers.

Butch

I think disqualification is a bit harsh.  I'm not a fan of viewers sitting at home calling in infractions but if they are going to allow it, which they do, then I think they should cap the punishment to strokes removed.  If this same thing happened again to someone else on the last day and the tourney ended before the call-in infraction was confirmed, then that player would not have been penalized.  That wouldn't be too fair to Padraig.

Cap the call-in penalties to strokes removed only and add a 1 day "cool down" for any call-ins that come in on the last day.  That's my vote!

Here we go again....

|Callaway I-MIX FT-9  - Driver | Callaway Diablo Octane - 3 Wood | Callaway Diablo Edge Tour [3H & 4H] - Hybrids | Callaway X-forged 2009 - Irons | Callaway JAWS [52, 56, 60] - Wedges | SC Studio Style Newport 2 / Laguna 1.5 / Kombi-S - Putter |

HAHA - if there was a high definition closeup of every player's ball during marking/replacing, and at address for every shot, there'd probably be DQ's all over the place.

Never ground your club and always treat marking your ball as if you're disarming a warhead - clumsy oafs!!

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

HAHA - if there was a high definition closeup of every player's ball during marking/replacing, and at address for every shot, there'd probably be DQ's all over the place.

Never ground your club and always treat marking your ball as if you're disarming a warhead - clumsy oafs!!

LOL...I think this whole thing is getting ridiculous...unfortunately this is starting to look like it's going to be the story of the 2011 season, which would be absolutely embarrassing.

|Callaway I-MIX FT-9  - Driver | Callaway Diablo Octane - 3 Wood | Callaway Diablo Edge Tour [3H & 4H] - Hybrids | Callaway X-forged 2009 - Irons | Callaway JAWS [52, 56, 60] - Wedges | SC Studio Style Newport 2 / Laguna 1.5 / Kombi-S - Putter |

some of the stupid things that can get someone dq'd i guess, no intent to cheat whatsoever and someone on tv had to point it out, what a d'bag.  I bet that person never comes forward and id's themself.

Driver-Taylormade Burner Ti 420 cc 10.5 deg reg flex
3 wood-orlimar rcx 14 deg
Hybrids-warrior golf 20 deg, 23 deg and 26 deg
6-pw-AFFINITY / ORLIMAR HT2 irons steel shafts, reg flex, 56 deg tour series wedge
Putter-Rife 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet...

Why is golf the only sport that seems to get this instant replay stuff wrong?

TaylorMade Micro-Lite bag || TaylorMade Tour Burner 08 10.5* || TaylorMade Burner Hybrid 17* || TaylorMade Burner Rescue 19* || Adams IDEA a7 5-PW || Adams Idea Pro Gold 50*, 55*, 60* || Nike Unitized Tiempo || Titleist NXT-Tour

Originally Posted by jakatan

Comparing golf to other sports which may or may not get "the instant replay stuff" right is pointless. They don't have the proper coverage of all the action to do what sports like football and hockey do. Even in those sports, it's only a few calls that are reviewable, and only in certain circumstances. Also, after the next play, no challenges! The only things that change after the fact are stats, like players awarded with goals telling officials they didn't actually touch the puck. Doesn't affect the score, but could affect the player's income if they fall one goal short of a milestone included in their performance contract. A better comparison for golf would be horse racing or the Olympics, where a winner isn't announced until a review of the event has taken place. Even months later a medal can be stripped from an Olympic champion and the first horse crossing the finish line isn't always the one photographed in the winners circle.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by jakatan

It doesn't really... baseball does but we don't need to get into that here.  The bottom line is that it was a breech of the rules, what his intent was simply doesn't matter.  Even though it is such a tiny break, the official had no choice but to look at it once it was brought to his attention and did the only thing he could do and DQ Paddy.

Don't get me wrong... I definitely feel for the guy and it sucks to be DQ'd over something so small but that's how it is.  Thumbs up to Paddy too on how he handled the situation... like he said if it wasn't him it'd be pretty clear to him too.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I know the rules and honesty are very important in golf, but this is going way too far.  Once the card is signed i dont think a penalty should be able to be imposed on that round...if the other players sign the card, then why not keep it at that?  Its getting dumb.

What would annoy me about this is not the fact Harry was DQ because after seeing the footage it's obvious the ball moved and the rules of golf being as they are he can't have any complaints,but what would annoy me is the little prick that rang up and notified people of it,has that cnut nothing better to be doing with his time?
I can see the bollix now as smug as fuck boasting to all his mates how he got one of the worlds top golfers disqualified,people like this are sad fucks IMHO.

p.s sorry about my foul language I'm just annoyed about this

A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks that others throw at him

Originally Posted by PaddyHarrington

What would annoy me about this is not the fact Harry was DQ because after seeing the footage it's obvious the ball moved and the rules of golf being as they are he can't have any complaints,but what would annoy me is the little prick that rang up and notified people of it,has that cnut nothing better to be doing with his time?

I can see the bollix now as smug as fuck boasting to all his mates how he got one of the worlds top golfers disqualified,people like this are sad fucks IMHO.

p.s sorry about my foul language I'm just annoyed about this

Seriously, tell us how you really feel.

Cap the call-in penalties to strokes removed only and add a 1 day "cool down" for any call-ins that come in on the last day.  That's my vote!

so now we should wait a day to decide the winner?? Talk about a dramatic finish! I'll just stop watching at that point. The tours need to stop answering their phones. Every time some jackhole calls in, it turns things into a circus.

Originally Posted by walk18

The tours need to stop answering their phones. Every time some jackhole calls in, it turns things into a circus.

Except this jackhole emailed it in, sorry.

But seriously, if the infraction requires super slo-mo to accurately discern, it is too minor to legitimately penalize. I wonder how many other times in golf's glorious history someone's ball has inadvertently moved a dimple or so during replacement? Personally, I vote that we go back and forensically analyze any available film of Johnny Miller at Oakmont in 1973.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Originally Posted by walk18

so now we should wait a day to decide the winner?? Talk about a dramatic finish! I'll just stop watching at that point. The tours need to stop answering their phones. Every time some jackhole calls in, it turns things into a circus.

Ha ha, no, I didn't mean it like that... just an extra day for the officials to deal with the jackholes and keep this call-in circus fair to everyone.

Kelly Tilghman tweeted today and asked, "what if there was a viewer hotline for this that cost $9.95/minute...?  Would there be less call ins?"  I thought that was an interesting comment...

Note: This thread is 4811 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!