IGNORED

Headcovers (Covers) For Irons

ChgMan
Note: This thread is 2767 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

When I see Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicklaus, Lee Trevino, Chi Chi Rodriguez, Tiger Woods, Padraig Harrington, Paula Creamer . . . well, you get the picture . . . using iron covers, then I'll think about getting some.

If I got my clubs for free and got a new set as often as I wanted, I probably wouldnt worry about it either.

By that logic, you should only use a ball for 2 or 3 holes and then throw it away too.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

how long do you think it takes??? it literally takes me 3 seconds to take the cover off and be at my ball and 1 second when you go to put it back on

Exactly. Like I said, everyone fusses over having a cover for their woods and their putter but not for their irons. No offense, but it just doesnt make sense to me.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

If I got my clubs for free and got a new set as often as I wanted, I probably wouldnt worry about it either.

I'm playing with Ping ISI irons, at least 10 years old and there are no noticable dings on any of them from bumping up against other clubs.

Since 2001, I've been played 100 or more rounds per year and about 50 rounds per year before that. IMO covers for my irons serves no useful purpose. I have no problem with others using iron covers, but it is a rare day when I see anyone using them.

When I see Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicklaus, Lee Trevino, Chi Chi Rodriguez, Tiger Woods, Padraig Harrington, Paula Creamer . . . well, you get the picture . . . using iron covers, then I'll think about getting some.

Had to smile when you mentioned Chi Chi in a thread on iron covers. I remember an interview with him from back in the '60's. He was talking about his hustling days and said that when he saw someone with covers on their irons, he knew he found his fish.

Driver: R7 425,  3-wood: V-Steel
3H Burner,  4-pw: R9 TP
SW: Vokey, 56-10
Putter: Cameron

I don't disdain them, I just think they're overkill.

Driver: Cobra S2 9.5 Fubuki 73 Stiff | Wood: Titleist 909H 17 Aldila Voodoo Stiff | Irons: Titleist ZB 3-5, ZM 6-PW DG S300 | Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMTC 50.08, 54.11, 60.04 DG S200 | Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 33" | Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

I use the iron covers while they are in the trunk, or at home. But once I get to the course, I remove them and leave them in the car. I do leave the wood covers on now because I have been known to chip the paint on them when pulling out an iron. And the putter cover stays on unless I am using it.

Driver: MP-600 9.5 w/ Fujikura E360 Stiff Shaft
4 Wood: F-60 16.5 w/ Exsar FS3 Stiff Shaft
Irons:MP-57 3-PW w/ Dynamic Gold S300 Shafts
Wedges: MP-R Black-Ni 52, 56, & 60
Putter: Studio Select Newport 2Ball: ProV1/ProV1xGrips: Winn Xi7

After using head covers for years, I tried to be cool and not use them on my new set......After a couple of months I started noticing little nicks on my irons and wedges. I was able to restore them with a little ultrafine scotchbrite and on went the head covers.

I suspect reason Tiger and such don't use them is because they get a new set every month. Plus they have factory reps to restore them each week.

Final Thought.... For all the talk about grooves, milled grooves, and spin I really can't imagine why you would not want to protect the faces of your clubs. As somone who works in a precision machine shop I am sure that uncovered irons have all those nice sharp groove edges nicked up. I don't care if they are cast or forged.

Driver: Bull 5000 10.5 FujiKura Vista Tour Stiff
Irons:MX25 5-PW. TT Black Gold
WoodGreat Big Bertha 4
HybridCLK Aldila Hybrid Stiff 20 and 23
Wedges: MPT RP Rifle Spinner Wedge 53 and 60Putter: Todd Sones GullaneBallHX Hot

I would imagine that they are a pain to take off everytime

In my Warbird Bag,
I have
Burner Driver 460cc 9.5* Stiff
Three and Five Woods
Precise- 21* and 24* hybridsCCi Cast Irons-4-AW 52* and 56*/14 Vokey 60*/8and i play TP Black or ProV1

whats so hard???? you have to take the club of choice out of the bag then hit the ball....... and then put it back in..... take the extra second to put the cover on and you wont have to look at dinged up clubs...... why is everyone in a rush that its time consuming...... what are you playing speed golf?..... relax have fun take care of your stuff it will do the same for you

In My: Black Titleist sc75 Bag
Driver:  G20 10*

Irons: Soon To Be Titleist 712 CB/MB Combos 
Wedge: 60* Spin Milled Oilcan

Putter: Circa 62 Model 1Putter #2 Vintage Pal

Ball:  E6

I bought a set of iron covers the other day for my forged taylormades. My dad said since i walk the courses a lot i should get them because they will get dinged up. But if i rode all the time i really wouldn't need them.

In my Vantage Bag:
Driver: Burner Superfast 9.5*
Woods: Steelhead Plus 3 and 5
Irons: Forged 300 4-PW
Wedges: CG12 52* and VR 56*Putter: SabertoothBall: TP Red

• Administrator
I suspect reason Tiger and such don't use them is because they get a new set every month.

No, I think Tiger doesn't use iron covers because he's not nearly as anal about bag chatter as someone else. Though it would be interesting if he did use 'em - they'd start selling out at golf shops the next day.

I don't use iron head covers. They take longer to put on and off (sure, a few seconds, but how many times per round?) and they serve no real purpose. I use them when I travel and that's about it. A little bag chatter? Who cares? I had forged irons for 10 years. Bag chatter city... they still played fine. Bag chatter shows character.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

using iron covers when you travel is fine. i actually only use one cover right now and that's for my driver.

heres 2 reasons I use neoprene covers,
each shot I put the cover in pocket and when I'm done I put it back on the club and if I forget to, I have something in my pocket to remind me that I have forgotten a club on the green maybe.
and the last reason is that I dislike nothing more that hearing my clubs clank away on the course. and with today's drivers and woods having such thin shells even with there covers on them this helps protect against accidental denting of them. the neoprene covers are easy to get on and off and make the bag look clean and neat too. I think that pro don't use them for the fact that they get new clubs whenever they want, not to mention that they need the camera to see there logos...
Team Santa Cruz, CA......

SPONSORS......
PING
FOOTJOYPAY-PAL VISABLUE CRUSH SPORTFISHING

I don't use iron covers any more because I was too lazy to remove them all after a round, dry the clubs thoroughly,and then replace all the covers. The result was rust on my clubs, so I just ditched the covers which resolved the problem. The argument for covering woods but not irons is less (for me anyway) to protect the heads of the woods and more to protect the shafts from having iron heads banging around against them. Several of the guys I play with don't use the headcovers for their woods, and the shafts all look like someone took a knife to them. One guy has actually broken the heads off of two separate drivers (shafts snapped just a bit above the hosel....coincidentally right where all the kicks from the irons were) and still doesn't understand why I think he should cover his woods after every shot.....

-C

ITB:
905R Proforce V2
SS03 Fujikura Tour Platform
MD 21 Irod
MD 25 Fujikura Tour PlatformKZG Forged Blades 5-PW Rifle 5.5 Vokey SM 54/08, 60/04 Rifle Spinner Kombi 35"

They just don't seem nessesary to me.

Wood & hybrid covers prevent the tops of the clubs and shafts (especially graphite) from getting marred or banged up, leaving an ugly reminder on top of the club that you may notice at address. I don't see how a worn iron top line matters.

It seems that it would slow play somewhat....fiddling with the things, keeping track of them, etc.

They would be nice to have on there for travel....don't have to hear your clubs bang around.

Iron covers...not for me....but if it's something you like, then go for it....just please, please don't do anything that will slow up play needlessly.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

IRons are made of steel and wont dent or bend from a lil' click clack int the bag. If you are worried about tiny scratches then you are OCD. They dont affect the way the irons hit.

Driver: 3DX Square 12*
3Wood: 30 dollar dicks piece of ____
Hybrids:3DX 20* and 23*
Irons:3DX Red 5-PW
Wedge:Vokey Spin Milled 56.10PutterDF-990 33 in

If you are worried about irons clanging against each other, you could use a grip-lok bag. That way you get the benefit of no noise or damage, and you still get the look, speed or whatever else you want.

Note: This thread is 2767 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!