IGNORED

My Swing (iacas)

iacas

• Administrator

I hope to get a little updated video tomorrow. I'll be curious what it will show. 😉

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 6 months later...
  • Administrator
On 6/23/2019 at 8:37 PM, iacas said:

I hope to get a little updated video tomorrow. I'll be curious what it will show. 😉

So much for that one. 🙂

Still working on the same types of things. Better all the time, but still… Here's how I'm attacking it right now.

01.jpg

Throughout these I'm a bit too far forward, but I'm not all that worried about that stuff yet. That stuff I can clean up pretty quickly later in the winter. Anyway, I like the right elbow position here, which starts from the right upper arm being a little rotated under with the elbow toward my right hip and less away from the target.

The arrows show the direction it feels like I'm "throwing" my hands (not the shaft per se - the wrists stay hinged mostly) via the right elbow extending. Even though it feels like I'm throwing the hands behind me…

02.jpg

… you can see here that the clubhead goes behind me but my hands and arms get out in front of me and down.

03.jpg

Then it feels - feels - like the club face is staying WIDE as hell open like this. The face squares up just fine, but this feeling helps the shaft line up a tiny bit later.

04.jpg

This is from 2014.

05.jpg

What I was doing here is how I felt like I was pushing in the same direction as the right elbow with my right thumb - away from the ball and away from the target line, too.

06.jpg07.jpg

More of the same.

I like the work and the photos and the feelings. I do this, and pivot as hard as I can through.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

would love to see a course vlog from a pro golfer

Journey of My Moe Norman's Inspired Golf Swing. Yes I know, it is going to be ROUGH journey.

Driver : MacGregor Mactec NVG.............(2005 model, cheapest forgiving driver that I can bought)

3 Wood : Ena Golf...................................(?year? cheap one but I like the impact)

7 Wood : XXIO.........................................(2005 model, from my dad)

5 Rescue : Tourstage ViQ........................(2008 model)

Irons : XXIO MP200.................................(2003 model, from my dad)

Wedge : Cleveland Becu 56 deg.............(cheapest old wedge that I can bought)

My self taught Swing Theard : My Swing (efdeel74)

• Administrator
29 minutes ago, efdeel74 said:

Golf pro, not a pro golfer.

And it’s December and I live in Erie. 🙂

30 minutes ago, iacas said:

Golf pro, not a pro golfer.

will see in april 2020 🙂

Edited by efdeel74

Journey of My Moe Norman's Inspired Golf Swing. Yes I know, it is going to be ROUGH journey.

Driver : MacGregor Mactec NVG.............(2005 model, cheapest forgiving driver that I can bought)

3 Wood : Ena Golf...................................(?year? cheap one but I like the impact)

Wedge : Cleveland Becu 56 deg.............(cheapest old wedge that I can bought)

7 hours ago, iacas said:

Snowshoes?😜

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

10 hours ago, efdeel74 said:

will see in april 2020 🙂

Golf in that area is still iffy in April. Last year I played with @iacas there were a bunch of penguins out on the course 😜

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
41 minutes ago, billchao said:

Golf in that area is still iffy in April. Last year I played with @iacas there were a bunch of penguins out on the course 😜

Seriously. And they could barely stand up by the end. Tough sledding, as they say.

11 hours ago, efdeel74 said:

I read this in @iacas thread, and immediately thought of this.  Not just one, but TWO golf professionals

• Thumbs Up 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

17 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I read this in @iacas thread, and immediately thought of this.  Not just one, but TWO golf professionals

Thank you, great video....as long as I can remember, I never saw the vlog like this....very neat. And got two golf pros.

Edited by efdeel74

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator
On 12/31/2019 at 12:01 PM, efdeel74 said:

Thank you, great video....as long as I can remember, I never saw the vlog like this....very neat. And got two golf pros.

Well, one. 🙂

• Administrator

I've been doing a little work on my swing lately. Actually, a lot of work.

• Start the backswing by "kicking out the right hip." It feels like a sway, but in reality, it's a small pressure shift right and the hip moves about an inch or two at the most before the rotation kicks in. This is also what helps the club to start the takeaway.
  • I don't like the feeling of keeping the right hand on top - my right elbow "turns down" a little too much - so I like the feeling of pushing the left arm and hand "under" to keep the clubhead slightly outside.
  • Keep that feeling going so it feels like the shaft is reverse tilted (like "/" from DL view) at 3, and then STOP at 3 (ha ha ha, good luck, but again feel ain't real).
  • Swing my hands out almost horizontally feeling from the top. The initial direction of my hands is often too "downward" which steepens the shaft slightly and then when the hands do go out (when the right elbow extends), the shaft lays down kinda violently late in the downswing.

I smoked a bunch of shots at the end of my practice today, and I was probably still not doing the above enough.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Feel like I turned a little corner today after a somewhat disappointing round yesterday.

I was trying to feel the right arm stay above the left arm more so today and noticed that when I'm downtown, my shoulders feel very vertical, and on the course I think they get very flat or shallow.

So, again, a few things:

1. Bump right to start the backswing.
  2. Steep shoulders, right arm on top of left (helps keep the clubhead out).
  3. Swing "out" into the airspace right of the target.

I'm still delivering a tiny bit too much loft, but I'll worry about that later when horizontal launch conditions become better.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

2020-03-25 15.36.42.jpg

I set up this little station today. I hit the ball to the right of the cone/noodle and left enough that it still hit the dark netting. To be honest I nailed this most of the time - none missed the net and only about 2 or 3 out of 60 even nicked the noodle. It's not a very wide angle, so… good for that stuff.

I mostly worked on the bump, trash can, and "out" stuff today, kinda like this:

Practice went pretty well. I know, not the best angle. I worked in some slow swings. This one was toward the end, medium-fast.

There's a bit of sequencing I have to get right, with the slight lay-down, the slight "fall," etc. But generally, this is okay. The backswing starts off well. Right forearm horizontal longer, and when it can't be much more, hit it. This keeps the shaft steeper in the backswing and keeps the elbow away from me a little, giving more freedom to the right shoulder.

Still, I can do better. The backswing is shorter, but you can see the face is still shut, the left wrist is still a bit too flat, and so it's going to steepen just a hair. It's better, though. And I can work on it slowly.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, iacas said:

2020-03-25 15.36.42.jpg

I set up this little station today. I hit the ball to the right of the cone/noodle and left enough that it still hit the dark netting. To be honest I nailed this most of the time - none missed the net and only about 2 or 3 out of 60 even nicked the noodle. It's not a very wide angle, so… good for that stuff.

I mostly worked on the bump, trash can, and "out" stuff today, kinda like this:

Practice went pretty well. I know, not the best angle. I worked in some slow swings. This one was toward the end, medium-fast.

There's a bit of sequencing I have to get right, with the slight lay-down, the slight "fall," etc. But generally, this is okay. The backswing starts off well. Right forearm horizontal longer, and when it can't be much more, hit it. This keeps the shaft steeper in the backswing and keeps the elbow away from me a little, giving more freedom to the right shoulder.

Still, I can do better. The backswing is shorter, but you can see the face is still shut, the left wrist is still a bit too flat, and so it's going to steepen just a hair. It's better, though. And I can work on it slowly.

Do you try to get the feel of the hands relaxing at transition? I’m working on flattening at transition with Kris now with more palmar flexion just past A4. Sometimes I feel like my right hand takes over and wants to cast. This drill you posted looks to be very helpful for me.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator
6 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Do you try to get the feel of the hands relaxing at transition? I’m working on flattening at transition with Kris now with more palmar flexion just past A4. Sometimes I feel like my right hand takes over and wants to cast. This drill you posted looks to be very helpful for me.

I kinda haven't gotten to that feeling yet. To be honest the idea of "relaxing" has never clicked with me so I doubt it's going to be that. If anything the feeling of the right wrist folding back a bit more may be a feeling, as I tend to get there without a ton of right wrist bend, and feeling that can play a role.

As can the feeling of just taking the hands more "out" from the top, as that will pull the shaft and clubhead more toward "laid off."

• Thumbs Up 1

• Administrator

Some video from early on in my practice session today.

I noticed — in addition to the obvious that my full swings weren't all that similar to my practice backswings — that I wasn't getting as much turn as I'd like, so then I finished my session with these feels:

• Right forearm stays internally rotated and very horizontal, early.
  • Pivot carries the arm structure to the top.

Honestly I made some backswings where I'm pretty sure I didn't even see the golf ball at A4, I'd turned so much, but they were hit solidly too.

And even the early swings were better than my swings a month ago.

Some photos…

Here's what I mean by the turn. Right elbow a little close to me, turn < 90°, etc. Good adjustment to make, but even before, my right shoulder was better here.

01.jpg

Some of the work on my body "flow" is really good, IMO. @mvmac will hopefully agree.

02.jpg

03.jpg

This is about as good as it has looked in awhile, even if I'm still manipulating the shaft and hands a bit on these downswings. It's reduced, and I've always done a decent job of getting open here.

04.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

• Administrator

For myself, a reminder of sorts:

• Thumbs Up 1