IGNORED

Balls for Beginners

Note: This thread is 3953 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I'm getting back into the game and just bought my new gear.   A few days ago I went to the local shop and looked at the balls and got kinda intimidated.   Thinking (probably incorrectly) that "its just a ball" I bought some of the lower priced Titleist balls because (a) I've heard of the brand, and (b) they where the cheapest on the shelf.

Yesterday I visited the shop and overheard one of the sales guys talking to some dude about balls, and they were having a spirited discussion on what balls to choose.  After listening to them, I started to think "balls do matter".   So my question:

As a beginner and high handicapper, is there a certain type of ball I should gravitate towards?  Frankly, I have no idea, as I thought that with respect to balls, you just pay for branding.  Is this true?  If not, can some people here recommend some ball brands for me?

Thanks in advance.

Driver: Ping K15 (10.5*), Hybrids: Adams Idea Tech v3 2i, Ping G15 4i (23*), Irons: Callaway Diablo Edges (5-9, P, A, S)Putter: Nike Method 001, Bag: Nike Tour Cart II Shoes: Nike Lunar Control, Other: Cliqgear 3.0 Handcart, Callaway uPro GPS, Sun Mountain ClubGlider Meridian Travel Bag

I'm also a high handicapper. I was recommended Srixon AD333's by my old pro because I have a slower swing speed and he felt the extra distance, higher launch angle and lower spin for my wedge game would mean more consistency for me.

Having borrowed a family member's Titleist Pro V1 I found I had far better results with my Srixon's at my level of play.

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

You want to look up 2 piece balls with low compression. I've used 4 or 5 different kind like the Noodle+ and Titliest NXT Tour. But I've found the straightest and farthest hits come with the Callaway Big Bertha Diablo balls. The red box ones.
  • Upvote 1

Driver: :tmade: Rocketballz Stage 2, 9.5 set 1 higher Woods: :adams: F11 15 Rescue: :tmade: R15 17 Irons: :tmade: Rbladez 4-AW Putter: :odyssey: White Hot Bag: :adidas: Cart Bag

In order of my opinion ($20 dollar range):

Top Flite Gamer v2 (best all around of the bunch IMO)

TaylorMade Burner TP (close second - played this as my high handicap gamer but have since moved on to the TM TP Red / Nike One Tour D)

Nike One Vapor Speed (Good ball for a soft course - long off the tee)

Callaway Big Bertha Diablo (haven't played it but a lot of my buddies like'em a lot)

Precept Laddie Xtreme (outstanding value - 2 dzn for $20! I broke 90 with this ball)

Maxfli Noodle (good ball but there are better these days)

Srixon AD333 (slower swing speed 85mph< but good if that's where you're at)

It really doesn't matter in any objective sense when you're starting.  The cheaper the better.  Some may feel better to you than others, but that's such a personal decision that you really just need to try a few until you find one you like.  I'd buy a dozen of something cheap, see if you like it.  If not, buy something else next time.  IMO it's not until you're pretty advanced that anything other than the feel is important enough to worry about, at least among the inexpensive balls.

I suppose if you have a really bad slice, then you might want to at least find a ball that promotes low spin, but really I think you'll need to fix your problem by working on your swing rather than finding the right ball.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

As a high-handicapper it really doesnt matter because your not playing at a level where you will see much of a difference.  Just buy the cheapeast you can find, because changes are youre going to lose a lot of them.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I think any of the popular soft balls in the $15-25 range will work just fine. The only thing I'd recommend is that you see how the ball reacts around the green on chips and pitches.

Understanding the spin or lack thereof will help you figure out where to land the ball so it can roll out the right distance. That's where you can save shots.

TW

I am using the Laddie X right now $20 for 2 dozen at Wally-world. I have used Noodle Practice and liked them ok  $15 for 2 dozen at Wally-world.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I sometimes play Pinnacle Precision. $15 for box of 15. 2-piece made by Pinnacle (same company as Titleist; I've heard they're even made in the same facility, although I don't know what the difference is between it and say a Titleist SoLo). Cheap, I don't worry about losing them. And, they come in yellow--easier for some of us to see (especially in the rough, in the trees, in the leaves, and on winter fairways that aren't green).

Don't forget about the "reloaded" balls if you want to try some of the other brands, whether cheap or better.

Sometimes not worrying about losing the ball is the best way to avoid losing it.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Lots of good options out there in balls for all ability levels in my opinion.  Maybe too many if you are a begining golfer trying to choose a ball.  I like a softer feel off irons and the putter so when fall/winter comes and things soften up I like the following 2 piece balls:  TF D2 Feel, Srixon Soft Feel and Nike PD Soft.

Since trial and error buying and trying balls can get expensive, I like look for balls (if time permits)  and often find balls that I have wanted to try out.  During last season, I was able to find enough quality 2 piece balls to get me through the entire fall/winter without buying any.

In my Bagboy cart bag:
Driver: TM R11s 10.5 R-flex 3W: TM 09 Burner 3H: TM 09 Burner Irons: TM Tour Burner 4-PW r-flex
Wedges: Wilson TW9 GW, Ping Eye 2+ SW, Vokey SM 58.08      Putter:TM Rossa Spider Ball: TM TP/Red LDP, TF Gamer v2   Range Finder: GX-I

I am also a beginner and I've become comfortable with the Nike Mojo balls. They are an excellent value two-piece ball. I believe Nike has discontinued them, but they are still in many stores and cost half as much as the average ball.

If you've literally JUST began, it probably doesn't matter a lot. I used to buy bags of the used balls and just hit whatever. Once you start to realize what you need to correct in your game, you can buy balls to suit your game.

I'm an inexperienced high handicapper (though not as high as my profile says, probably, haha), and my big problems were slicing off the tee and wanting a bit more distance. So, I started buying "straight" balls. I like Top-Flite XL7000 Super Straights, Top-Flite D2 Straight balls, and right now, I play Nike Crush balls.

The club selection of a true hacker:

Driver: Nike Dymo2 SQ
3 and 5 Wood: Nike Dymo2 SQ
Irons: Adams Idea Tech OS Hybrid Irons (5-PW)
Wedges: Maxfli 56* and 60*
Putter: Odyssey White Ice #1 in Copper

Originally Posted by Paylee

In order of my opinion ($20 dollar range):

Top Flite Gamer v2 (best all around of the bunch IMO)

TaylorMade Burner TP (close second - played this as my high handicap gamer but have since moved on to the TM TP Red / Nike One Tour D)

Nike One Vapor Speed (Good ball for a soft course - long off the tee)

Callaway Big Bertha Diablo (haven't played it but a lot of my buddies like'em a lot)

Precept Laddie Xtreme (outstanding value - 2 dzn for $20! I broke 90 with this ball)

Maxfli Noodle (good ball but there are better these days)

Srixon AD333 (slower swing speed 85mph< but good if that's where you're at)

I loved the top flight Gamer V2, great ball for under 20 dollars.

I usually play the previous years high end golf ball, right about now there usually 15 bucks off. So i am on the Z-Star-x ball, got them for 24.99 a dozen at my local golf galaxy. Not a bad price.. I usualy get two dozen, and that will last me most of the year. On golf holes i know there's trouble were i have a shot pattern, i will usually have a half dozen cheapies to play, so i don't loose my good ones.

But, go to the companies websites and they got good information on what ball matches what swing speed. Most of the time, its about the spin off the driver, most golf balls in the same price range will react the same off the irons.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Play something cheap. You wont feel so bad about losing them.

I primarily play Top Flite D2 feel or straight. I bought a box of Top Flite Eagles last year, basically a rebranded D2 ball for Target stores but they no longer carry them and Im about out.

I have also played the Nike Mojo, and they are still making them, contrary to the above post. They are $18-20 for a box of 24. Not the best "feel" coming off the putter though. Ill probably be picking up a box of these before my next round. I havent played them in a while and Im almost out of my D2s.

In the bag:

Driver: :tmade: '07 Burner Draw 10.5 
3/4 Hybrid: :adams: Idea a205
Irons: :tmade: Burner Plus  

Lots of good suggestions in this thread.  I would recommend buying used balls to save yourself some money.  Lostgolfballs.com is a good place to buy and you can get twice as many balls for the same price as new balls.

Like others here, I'd recommend the Callaway Big Bertha and Srixon Soft Feel.

Note: This thread is 3953 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!