IGNORED

Brandel Chamblee Is the Biggest Tiger Hater

franky21
Note: This thread is 3877 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Harmonious

Question - If you were able to talk with Nicklaus, what would you talk about?  Whether Stewart Cink will make his next putt for par, or if Kevin Sutherland should hit a low draw or a high hook from behind the tree, or some other "pedestrian" topic?  Or would you seek to somehow gain some insight into the thinking of the man with the greatest record in golf?

Heck, that's why having Miller and Faldo in the announcing booth is so interesting.  They know what they are talking about.  They have been there, and have been successful at the highest level.

Yeah I wouldn't be talking about myself the whole time though. Faldo I can handle, Miller, no. He loves himself too much, coupled with the bad tips he gives - just awful.

Frank Nobilo is good though. He stays on topic and has solid advice.

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

I wished we lived in a world with a million Johnny Millers

Originally Posted by Kieran123

Yeah I wouldn't be talking about myself the whole time though. Faldo I can handle, Miller, no. He loves himself too much, coupled with the bad tips he gives - just awful.

Originally Posted by Kieran123

Miller is opinionated, no doubt.  And he is polarizing to the viewers.  He constantly rates as the "best commentator" and the "worst commentator" in viewer polls.

But that is why he was hired at NBC.  To provide insight into the pro mindset.  If he talks about how he hit a shot, it is because he actually did hit that shot.  Think how boring it would be if all the telecasts were just description of the shots.  Maybe that's what some folks would like, but I enjoy hearing from those who have actually been in the arena.  Never really noticed that Miller gave awful advice.  Maybe it's a little too technical for some, but I've never heard anything that was awful, as you say.

Agree that Nobilo is an excellent commentator, too.

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

The sound on the video wasn't too good, but it sounded like Miller was talking about impact position, with the shaft at 90* to the target.  For whatever reason, the other guy was talking about setup position.  Not the same thing.

This most likely boils down to the fact that Brandel is a traditionalist and feels that Tiger doesn't represent that game like some of the past greats. Brandel looks up to guys like Hogan, Nelson, Snead, Nicklaus, Palmer & Jones and always talks about the past and would rather see something else represent the game now.

• Administrator

Originally Posted by JordanJCaron

This most likely boils down to the fact that Brandel is a traditionalist and feels that Tiger doesn't represent that game like some of the past greats. Brandel looks up to guys like Hogan, Nelson, Snead, Nicklaus, Palmer & Jones and always talks about the past and would rather see something else represent the game now.

While there's likely some truth to that, it doesn't speak to Brandel's knowledge - or lack thereof - of swing advice. Foley's article/interview in Golf Magazine this month (April) lays that to rest pretty well and smacks Brandel around pretty good and, from where I'm sitting, correctly (i.e. with the correct knowledge, not whatever Brandel made up with his "low ball flight/trap" talk).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Brandel is not the only player/former player to have reservations regarding Tiger's current swing.  IIRC, Rocco Mediate didn't give a glowing endorsement in the March issue of GDigest of where Tiger's at now in regards to his swing.  I think the exact question was "Do you like what he's done with Sean Foley?"  Rocco's response:  "No, sorry."

Driver: Cobra S2 9.5 Fubuki 73 Stiff | Wood: Titleist 909H 17 Aldila Voodoo Stiff | Irons: Titleist ZB 3-5, ZM 6-PW DG S300 | Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMTC 50.08, 54.11, 60.04 DG S200 | Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 33" | Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

Originally Posted by MrKadash

Brandel is not the only player/former player to have reservations regarding Tiger's current swing.  IIRC, Rocco Mediate didn't give a glowing endorsement in the March issue of GDigest of where Tiger's at now in regards to his swing.  I think the exact question was "Do you like what he's done with Sean Foley?"  Rocco's response:  "No, sorry."

Well, you've seen Rocco swing, so you know why he'd say "No, sorry."

The swing Foley teaches, and the one that Ballard teaches Rocco are far apart in terms of technique.

So one wouldn't expect Rocco to say --"Gheez, I can see what Foley is doing and it's such a drastic change that it needs more time to work for Tiger on the highest level."

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

Well, you've seen Rocco swing, so you know why he'd say "No, sorry."

The swing Foley teaches, and the one that Ballard teaches Rocco are far apart in terms of technique.

So one wouldn't expect Rocco to say --"Gheez, I can see what Foley is doing and it's such a drastic change that it needs more time to work for Tiger on the highest level."

I didn't have the article in front of me and couldn't remember his exact response, but he did get into the reasons as to why he felt that way and it didn't end with "no, sorry."  I wasn't forming an opinion validating Rocco's comments, but merely pointing out Brandel isn't the only detractor in regards to Tiger's swing relative to what Foley is teaching.  Tiger has enjoyed incredible success with his prior two instructors, there isn't any reason to think further success can't be attainable.  Time will only tell.

Driver: Cobra S2 9.5 Fubuki 73 Stiff | Wood: Titleist 909H 17 Aldila Voodoo Stiff | Irons: Titleist ZB 3-5, ZM 6-PW DG S300 | Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMTC 50.08, 54.11, 60.04 DG S200 | Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 33" | Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

• 2 months later...

Originally Posted by franky21

Is it me or does Brandel always have something negative to say about Tiger even when he plays well which hasnt happend often as of late. It just upsets me  because i mean the guy is struggling but you cant take away what he has done and to think he is done is ridiculous.

Chamblee isn't doing himself any favors as of late with his negative commentary about Tiger Woods. Just heard him criticizing Tiger's attitude toward the media, his swing technique, and Sean Foley.  To date, overall, Tiger has had a pretty successful career. He's done so despite numerous swing changes and injuries. Yes, this appears to be a serious issue.

Right now Brandel Chamblee is defending the actions of Rory Sabbatini!!! He's DEFENDING HIM!!! What? The guy has an anger management issue, goes off on some kid who was a volunteer and likely had to PAY for the privilege in regards to any gear he wore, and Sabbatini decides to blast the kid for nothing. Sabbatini walks off and leaves Ben Crane during a round because he's disgusted with his pace of play. No doubt that Crane was too slow, as he admitted to. But why couldn't Sabbatini talk TO Crane about it instead of doing what he did?

Then was the infamous, "Tiger is more beatable than ever!" Yep, how'd THAT one turn out for him? Rory needs to tone it down, work on his game, and worry about winning.

Oh, and get some help for his anger management issue.

Quote: Originally Posted by henniebogan1966 View Post

"Chamblee isn't doing himself any favors as of late with his negative commentary about Tiger Woods. Just heard him criticizing Tiger's attitude toward the media, his swing technique, and Sean Foley.  To date, overall, Tiger has had a pretty successful career. He's done so despite numerous swing changes and injuries. Yes, this appears to be a serious issue."

Bear in mind that Chamblee is hired by the Golf Channel to provide commentary about the PGA Tour, based on his experience of many years playing on tour (regardless of his record). My guess is that he has studied Tiger Woods for many years, and when he says he is now seeing a mechanical Tiger rather than a free Tiger swing, then I give him some credence. Tiger's obsession with multiple swing changes over the years has certainly been the source of comments from more than just Chamblee, that's for sure.

As far as Tiger's attitude with the media, it's no secret that he has few fans among the press. Whether it has been his short, bland quotes or his general, condescending attitude toward them, it has definitely not made him many friends in the press tent.  They are always looking for something that sells papers/magazines/blogspots, and he rarely gives them much. Maybe because he was burned by earlier interviews or whatever, but he does not go out of his way to accommodate them, unlike like some other guys out there (Mickelson, Mediate, for example).

Originally Posted by Harmonious

Quote:Originally Posted by henniebogan1966

"Chamblee isn't doing himself any favors as of late with his negative commentary about Tiger Woods. Just heard him criticizing Tiger's attitude toward the media, his swing technique, and Sean Foley.  To date, overall, Tiger has had a pretty successful career. He's done so despite numerous swing changes and injuries. Yes, this appears to be a serious issue."

Bear in mind that Chamblee is hired by the Golf Channel to provide commentary about the PGA Tour, based on his experience of many years playing on tour (regardless of his record). My guess is that he has studied Tiger Woods for many years, and when he says he is now seeing a mechanical Tiger rather than a free Tiger swing, then I give him some credence. Tiger's obsession with multiple swing changes over the years has certainly been the source of comments from more than just Chamblee, that's for sure.

As far as Tiger's attitude with the media, it's no secret that he has few fans among the press. Whether it has been his short, bland quotes or his general, condescending attitude toward them, it has definitely not made him many friends in the press tent.  They are always looking for something that sells papers/magazines/blogspots, and he rarely gives them much. Maybe because he was burned by earlier interviews or whatever, but he does not go out of his way to accommodate them, unlike like some other guys out there (Mickelson, Mediate, for example).

And I don't blame Tiger for being defensive over the years, speaking mostly of pre-scandal era. While I can understand and appreciate that they have a job to do, no player, including Woods, is obligated to give them something they don't want to, for whatever their reasons. During the early part of the scandal, Phil chose to stay away from making any comments, and for good reason. No win situation for him no matter what he might say. On the other hand, Phil was MORE than outspoken on his feelings about the process by which clubs are approved for play during the whole Ping Zing 2 wedge controversy. And he put himself in that position by his own choice, for his own agenda. So, he was all too happy to share his feelings openly with the press. When it came to his arthritic condition, he chose to keep that to himself until a point at which he felt comfortable speaking out about it. Again, his choice.  I could go on with other situations with other players who when it suits them, speak their minds, and then at other times, share very little. Tiger is CERTAINLY NOT the only player who does this, yet you would think he is. It's unfair and is a double standard which always seems to follow Tiger, but few, if any, others.

Heaven forbid anyone criticize Phil Mickelson cause he's such a great guy, fist-bumping and smiling his way around the golf course. And you have commentators even today talking up how Phil spent his day on Tuesday sigining autographs, playing a pracitice round, etc. Yet there are unconfirmed reports that behind the scenes he's not well liked by his peers as the claim is he's much different behind the scenes than he is in front of the public. I don't know one way or the other, but the point is with Tiger the rules always seem to be different for judging everything he says and does, and I think it's unfair.

Brandel probably got some thoughts on Tiger that makes sense, but the way he persistently talks crap about Tiger and his swing just seems stupid to me. Tiger is who he is and is currently working on the swing he is. Why not forget about the old swings and look at the positives of his changes? Most media people give Tiger some harsh comments every now and then, but Brandel does it all the time.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Originally Posted by Zeph

Brandel probably got some thoughts on Tiger that makes sense, but the way he persistently talks crap about Tiger and his swing just seems stupid to me. Tiger is who he is and is currently working on the swing he is. Why not forget about the old swings and look at the positives of his changes? Most media people give Tiger some harsh comments every now and then, but Brandel does it all the time.

Like it or not, Tiger's performance since switching to Foley has been mediocre at best.  Not saying he wouldn't have been even worse had he stuck with Haney or not had a coach at all, but his game is a shell of what it once was (9 holes at Augusta do not qualify as a comeback).  Chamblee has every right to comment about it, and since Tiger is the biggest name in golf, he would not be doing his job if he didn't talk about it.

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

Great hit 'n run, Brandel!

Maybe a little condescending? No?

At least your comments provoke a reaction, which I dare say, is a good move.

There's no question that controversy sells ad time so when someone like Chamblee speaks up, it tends to make headlines and garners attention for that person and network. What I saw from him today was nothing short of his questioning everything about Tiger Woods from his swing technique, his work with Foley, his knee, to his interaction with the media.  My feeling that the last one there, with the media, was his real agenda. He wondered why Tiger isn't more transparent with the media, as though somehow Tiger is obligated to be so. No player is. I'm not saying that I want to know less from the players, but if a player isn't one to share a lot of comments, then so be it. Hogan wasn't known to be any friend to the media either. So what??!!!! That's the way it goes sometimes. Everyone can't be Arnold Palmer or Phil Mickelson with the media and fans, nor should they be.

Originally Posted by henniebogan1966

I don't know one way or the other, but the point is with Tiger the rules always seem to be different for judging everything he says and does, and I think it's unfair.

You are right, the rules are different for Tiger.  He is judged through a different lens than any other athlete, much less any other golfer.  But part of that is his own doing, or his father's doing, or Nike's doing, or his management team's doing.  He has never been forthcoming with the press.  And to writers who depend on lively or interesting quotes, Tiger falls short.

Note: This thread is 3877 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!