IGNORED

Could Bubba win the Masters?

ohiolefty
Note: This thread is 4794 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by RichF

WTF is all this 'Bubba-Major-Love-Fest' going on all of a sudden?

I bet he doesn't make the cut this year.

Jamo is right with his posts.

He's a long hitter, already won this year and nearly won a major last year--hardly a love fest to think he might be one of the favorites

Quote:

He's a long hitter, already won this year and nearly won a major last year--hardly a love fest to think he might be one of the favorites

So what?

Dustin Jonhson's a long hitter (more accurate, too), nearly won a Major last year (and apart from a massive rules-infringement, would have ).

TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°
TaylorMade RAC TP MB 3-PW
TaylorMade RAC TP 54°.10 / 58°.10
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Originally Posted by mck

So you don't think he has the iron accuracy to win at Augusta...but if he does win a major you think his best chance would be a U.S. Open.  Really?

If it's iron accuracy that's in question, the US and British Opens seem more likely. A year ago people thought he'd never win. Now he's won twice and lost in the PGA Championship playoff.  When he won in San Diego his FIR and GIR were much better than Phil's and Phil seems to do okay at Augusta National.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I think the U.S.Open is far more demanding in terms of accuracy than any other tournament.  Mike Weir won at Augusta with something like 50% GIR--not exactly putting on a clinic with his approach shots.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

If it's iron accuracy that's in question, the US and British Opens seem more likely. A year ago people thought he'd never win. Now he's won twice and lost in the PGA Championship playoff.  When he won in San Diego his FIR and GIR were much better than Phil's and Phil seems to do okay at Augusta National.

Originally Posted by mck

I think the U.S.Open is far more demanding in terms of accuracy than any other tournament.  Mike Weir won at Augusta with something like 50% GIR--not exactly putting on a clinic with his approach shots.

He has more top 10s in the US Open though.

I've always been under the impression that it's more important to be an accurate driver at the US Open than the Masters. At the Masters you have to be long, and hit it right to left. Like any course, Augusta has a few holes where it's better to miss the green than hit the wrong part of it. At the Masters you have to not just hit the green, but hit the right part of the green - at least that's what a couple multiple Master's winners said.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Augusta comes down to the greens.  Giving yourself make able putts is key out there and if you don't do that well, you won't be contending.  This of course requires proper placement of the tee to although for a shot at the stick.  I don't think Bubba has the razor fine precision or the nerves required for 4 rounds.  With that being said he has two decent finishes there but has yet to shoot a round in the 60's.

It sure would be awesome to see him at least contend.  I don't recall seeing much coverage of him at Augusta but it would be awesome to follow him around.

Positives

-Watson hits it a mile, and that never hurts at Augusta.

-Watson is the 15th-ranked golfer in the world.  That instantly makes him one to watch in any event.  Wow, is he really 15th??

-His win at Torrey Pines proved he can win at a tough venue with great golfers breathing down his neck.

Negatives

-Watson's putting stats really don't set up well for Augusta.  I've always picked guys who can roll it on the greens with the best of em' to win a green jacket.

-Watson's on-course composure is too up-and-down for my liking to win at Augusta.  He contended at Whistling Straits, but this is a completely different animal.

What does all this mean?  It probably doesn't mean much, but I'm guessing it all equals something around a tie for eighth or something like that.  He will play well, but he won't win.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

bubba is one of my favorite players to watch (especially this year) i dont think he will be in the top 10 at the masters. maybe not even top 20. in the future maybe.

i dont think his putting would be able to handle the greens in order for him to win, you never know though!

also can i just say that the Masters website is awesome! ive just spent the last hour or so on the website watching the highlights of the holes available for AK, Tiger and Phil!

Cobra S2 Driver
Nike SQ 3 Wood
Nike Sumo SQ 3 Hybrid
Callaway X-16 Irons 3-PW
Nike Victory Red 56 and 60 WedgesScotty Cameron Newport 1.5 Putter

I think Bubba sets up well for the Master's.  first of, he is a Georgia Boy and we love our Master’s. The Master's does not have the teeth for hitting an errant drive as say the US Open. I think the tee ball placement is a little less important for him because he can cook a ball 50 yards in either direction.

As far as mental game goes, he has now got a few wins under his belt, a Ryder Cup to stabilize his confidence. He is not quite the emotional knot he once was. He no longer has the family health issues that he once carried around either.

He is very good on the Augusta type set ups. He played one at the University of Georgia ’s course through college. This course is so similar that the two weeks before the Master’s it is full of player’s working their game (Phil Mickelson for one)

I think Bubba struggles with serious wind, always has. Wind really effects his game. I think ball striking is a non-issue, he has all the moves.

We will see?

Quote:

Of course he could.  Its just a matter of keeping his mind right for 4 rounds in a row.

He does need better work between the ears. His shot selection during the match play was ridiculous.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I think Bubba has all the physical tools but wonder if he can "keep it together" for four rounds at Augusta.  But I sure won't die from shock if he wins this one.

Butch

• 2 weeks later...

I don't see how Bubba is a favorite, I am not sure but I don't think he is even in the field.  I don't believe he has qualified.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

Originally Posted by allin

I don't see how Bubba is a favorite, I am not sure but I don't think he is even in the field.  I don't believe he has qualified.

He is. Top 4 and ties from the PGA last year (among other ways).

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I wouldn't say he is a favorite, but I think if he has a good week he may surprise some people

Originally Posted by jamo

He is. Top 4 and ties from the PGA last year (among other ways).

I laughed when I read that.

Oops, I forgot about the PGA, I was thinking about ranking, he has a recent win also? I still don't think he is a consistent enough iron player and putter to win the Masters.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

Oops, I forgot about the PGA, I was thinking about ranking, he has a recent win also? I still don't think he is a consistent enough iron player and putter to win the Masters.

A recent win that may or may not qualify (didn't check) but he's well within the OWGR top 50 (#17 this morning).

Note: This thread is 4794 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!