IGNORED

What type of golf do you play?

DaSportsGuy
Note: This thread is 4797 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. What type of golf do you play?

• Casual
    • Competitive
    • Tournament

When you go out to the course for a round of golf, what type of golf do you play(or prefer)? Specify and explain.

Casual-Just got out and play. Not playing for anything or against anyone. Just playing for enjoyment.

Competitive-Playing against someone or for something. Maybe it's a few drinks on the 19th hole or a couple bucks.

Tournament-Pretty self explanatory. Playing to finish atop the leaderboard for either yourself or your team.

Myself, I very rarely play a casual round unless I'm playing by myself as a solo. If I'm not in a match or tournament I will almost always be playing with side bets.

Career Bests:

9 Holes--37 @ The Fairways at Arrowhead-Front(+2)

18 Holes--80 @ Carroll Meadows Golf Course(+9)

Home Course:

1) The Fairways at Arrowhead

2) Mayfair Country Club

I'm pretty bad, and I don't know anyone as bad as I am that plays so I'd say it's in between casual and competitive.  I'm usually with friends so that makes for a good time, but I'm also very competitive with myself, so I'm always looking to improve one or more areas from my previous rounds.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am usually playing competitive golf either against myself (if I'm solo) or friends (match play usually) when I tee it up.

sunmountain.gif C-130 Cart Bag: titleist.gif 910D2 10.5Deg   taylormade.gif R9 15Deg, Burner Superfast 5W/7W   mizuno.gif MP-57 5-PW
scratch.gif 54*ds, 58*ds    cameron.gif Red X2    callaway.gifTour iZ

Originally Posted by DaSportsGuy

When you go out to the course for a round of golf, what type of golf do you play(or prefer)? Specify and explain.

Casual-Just got out and play. Not playing for anything or against anyone. Just playing for enjoyment.

Competitive-Playing against someone or for something. Maybe it's a few drinks on the 19th hole or a couple bucks.

Tournament-Pretty self explanatory. Playing to finish atop the leaderboard for either yourself or your team.

Myself, I very rarely play a casual round unless I'm playing by myself as a solo. If I'm not in a match or tournament I will almost always be playing with side bets.

Why no option for all three, or any combination of two?  I do the first 2 depending on who I'm playing with (some guys don't like to wager and some do), and the third for club tournaments.  So I didn't vote.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Usually casual. I don't gamble on principle unless I'm in Vegas or someplace where there's gambling; I'd never be a total drag if my friends want to gamble, but I'm not into it as a concept.

My 'wagers' are for who buys lunch, dinner, beer etc. That's about what I'm comfortable with. I don't make a ton of money, and just being on the course and buying good equipment, clothes and other accessories is enough for me.

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

Mainly just casual. When I play with my buddies I always want to win but it's never a big thing. I also play with another friend and we always play for a beer on the par 3s (Closest to the pin). Other than that, I rarely bet on the course.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

Originally Posted by ohiolefty

Usually casual. I don't gamble on principle unless I'm in Vegas or someplace where there's gambling; I'd never be a total drag if my friends want to gamble, but I'm not into it as a concept.

My 'wagers' are for who buys lunch, dinner, beer etc. That's about what I'm comfortable with. I don't make a ton of money, and just being on the course and buying good equipment, clothes and other accessories is enough for me.

Just for clarification, I don't bet the house when I play with guys who like to wager.  We will do something like quarter skins.... a total disaster costs $4.50, and I've never lost that much even on my worst day.  Then whoever wins just throws it in the pot for beer and munchies after the round anyway, so it's usually a wash.   It just adds a little spice to the round.  And the pressure of a 5 foot birdie putt to win 3 carries is great experience for tournament play.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Not a huge gambler, but when it comes to golf, if something needs to be laid on the line to make me push myself more, so be it. If I'm playing solo and join another single, better believe it I'm playing against them, but they don't know it. I definitely want to play in a tournament this year.

Originally Posted by Fourputt

Just for clarification, I don't bet the house when I play with guys who like to wager.  We will do something like quarter skins.... a total disaster costs $4.50, and I've never lost that much even on my worst day.  Then whoever wins just throws it in the pot for beer and munchies after the round anyway, so it's usually a wash.   It just adds a little spice to the round.  And the pressure of a 5 foot birdie putt to win 3 carries is great experience for tournament play.

Understood. I am not denouncing those who gamble, it's just not my thing. I actually play in a regular threesome that is sometimes a foursome with some guys who gamble with each other, and I don't bet. They'll kid me sometimes (I usually beat them) by saying "You coulda won some money today."

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

I play an early bird, back nine in Costa Mesa, CA every weekend with anywhere from 8-20 regulars, sometimes more.  We have about 30 total players that have come out at one time or another and we keep all our scores on OOBgolf.  We tee off at 6am and are done by 8:15 or so.  It's match play and everyone bets $1 to each other for the round and we use handicaps.

We also have a standing $100 bet for anyone that gets a hole-in-one during any of these rounds.  Everyone pays up regardless if they were there or not.

p.s. I got the ace, July last year and it paid about $2400

Originally Posted by BrushCaddy

We also have a standing $100 bet for anyone that gets a hole-in-one during any of these rounds.  Everyone pays up regardless if they were there or not.

p.s. I got the ace, July last year and it paid about $2400

NICE! thats a pretty sweet payday! did you dump it right back into golfing?

I play with guys that don't necessarily play real well and added pressure of bets and competition doesn't make it any more fun for them.  So we play side bets only on par3's with carryovers.

We play totally for fun.  We knock each others balls off the tees, run them over with a cart, plug them when ever we get a chance.....its 4 hours of laughing and enjoying each others company and pranks.  We also give each other a rash of sh*t all the time.

I play 1-2 times each week, besides the day above, when I'm playing either alone or with one other guy and thats when I play for a score.

Driver Callaway Diablo Edge --- Custom Sonartec 3, 5 and 7 woods made +1" stiff shafts --- Irons 5-L Ping G10 +1" 4.5* upright reg shafts --- ---Putter Tiger Shark

Originally Posted by Johnnyooze

NICE! thats a pretty sweet payday! did you dump it right back into golfing?

It went right in to the funding to pay for Brush Caddy and I guess ultimately, diapers for my newborn this past September...  ha ha  Would have been nice to get some new clubs but I didn't spring.

Casual but serious.  I dont really play tournaments but I play every round expecting every shot to be a great one, expecting to hole-out every chip, expecting to sink every putt and expecting to set my lowest score ever.

Im a highly competitive person and cant settle for being medicore in anything that I do, so even a, "casual" round is a pretty serious thing.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I would also say casual/competitive. Mostly competitive as in 4 ball competition among friends. But also casual a day or two a week.

Sub 70 849 9* driver

:callaway:  Rogue 3 & 5 woods, Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids

:tmade: SIM 2 6-gap irons

:cobra:  King snakebite grove wedges 52 & 58*

:ping: Heppler ZB3 putter

Tournament, just cause im competitive and like being in that envrioment.

:cobra: Speed ld-f 10.5 Stiff
:snake_eyes: 3 & 5 Woods
:adams:A4 3 hybrid
:bridgestone: J33 Forged Irons 4-pw
:ping: 50th Aniv. Karsten Ansr Putter56*, 60* wedges

Note: This thread is 4797 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!