IGNORED

Marijuana use and the golf game

tanktwo2
Note: This thread is 2719 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by ajschn06

I never said it was harmLESS, just no worse than some of the other stuff that's legal in this country.  Of course it's not good for you and does harm to you.  Cocaine and opium may start with a plant, but if your buying it I guarantee there have been chemicals added.  Who cares how many fatalities those have caused, we're talking about how many weed has caused.  As for your habituation and depression, OF COURSE!  Cigarettes/alcohol= habit forming, and for those who rely on it, it's probably depressing if you have to quit.  It's not my problem that there are people out there that don't have any will power.  All I am trying to say plain and simple is that:

A) Marijuana can't be lumped in with drugs like cocaine, meth, and whatnot.  It's not anywhere near as powerful or dangerous.  It's a gateway drug, that may be true,  but like I said it's not my problem that people don't have will power.

B)  I'm not even sure that I am trying(or wanting) to argue that weed should be legal.  All I am saying is if you look at it compared to alcohol, it's not anywhere close to as bad as people make it out to be.

What is really crazy is that weed is listed as a schedule 1 drug. This means that it is highly addictive and has absolutely no medical use. Interestingly enough, cocaine is a schedule 2 durg, which means very addictive with medical use. Little disproportionate, don't you think?--I agree with you all the way.

Tobacco & alcohol are the gateway drugs.

Originally Posted by LBlack14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texian

If you break the rules concerning drugs, you'll break them on the golf course.

You guys need to get into another sport with a more appropriate ethic--like stock car racing.

You know--"if you ain't cheatin' you ain't tryin'."

That's the biggest load of equine dung I've read in quite a while!!! Do you happen to know the 1st thing about the business that is golf??? It's as crooked and full of cheats and liars as used car sales, BUT the majority of the jack asses don't carry their business practices onto the course. I'm not saying all, but the majority. So your statement is not only flawed, but also shows your ignorance.

I'm not talking about the "business" of golf, I'm talking about the game itself, that we all play on the course. I don't doubt that there are cheats and liars in the business, especially marketing of products. You can't have "new and better" continuously.

The people who play golf the right way, on the tours, don't cheat, not necessarily because they're higher human beings, but because they can't get away with it. Ask Padraig Harrington, to give the most recent example. TV viewers wouldn't let him cheat, even by accident.

Try a little willpower and discipline sometimes. It'll do you a lot more good than lighting up--cigarettes, cigars, weed, or anything else you think doesn't harm you--much.

Originally Posted by ghalfaire

You could be correct, but that doesn't minimize the damage done by illegal drugs.  They tried to make liquor illegal a long time ago (prohibition).  It didn't work and like illegal drugs the illegal liquor traffic was controlled by organized crime during that time.  To solve the problem, as politicians tend to do, they took the easy road and just made liquor legal.  So I don't know what the answer is for illegal drugs or liquor.  Probably education and you can make a case for legalizing drugs.  But as you point out that didn't seem to change the human toll in the case of liquor, but maybe it did stop a lot of the collateral crimes but taking big money out of the equation.  But even with alcohol addiction, it hurts a lot of people other than the addict.

Do not forget ex presidential families when you say organized crime controlled liquor traffic the Kennedy's got all their money from bootlegging and actually it was not the politicians that revoked prohibition it was the voters state by state by special referundum. It was not revoked federally until 38 states had already legalized it again.

Originally Posted by jetsknicks1

3. Pot IS different from other illegal drugs. Nobody has ever overdosed on it, it is not ... phycologically(sp) addicting, when was the last time somebody high on pot commited a violent crime? When was the last time somebody got shot in a drive by after a "Pot deal" went bad?

You couldn't be more wrong about this.  It has been known for a long time to be psychologically addictive.  It can be a very difficult habit to break, even though it doesn't cause a physical addiction.  Read my post above.

The type of people who smuggle pot are no different from those who smuggle any other drug.  If you think that they are nice, peaceful, non-violent criminals then you are delusional.  As far as committing a crime while high on pot, well you haven't got a statistic to stand on.  A crook is a crook, regardless of his drug of choice.  He will get the money to support his habit (I didn't say addiction) in any way that seems doable to him.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Fourputt

You couldn't be more wrong about this.  It has been known for a long time to be psychologically addictive.  It can be a very difficult habit to break, even though it doesn't cause a physical addiction.  Read my post above.

The type of people who smuggle pot are no different from those who smuggle any other drug.  If you think that they are nice, peaceful, non-violent criminals then you are delusional.  As far as committing a crime while high on pot, well you haven't got a statistic to stand on.  A crook is a crook, regardless of his drug of choice.  He will get the money to support his habit (I didn't say addiction) in any way that seems doable to him.

Never once did I meet anyone who ever commited any type of crime to finance marijuana. The worst "crime" I have ever seen anyone ever do to get marijuana is harvest a couple of plants behind their shed.

Hell one can argue McDonalds is psychologically addicting.

Originally Posted by mtsalmela80

Never once did I meet anyone who ever commited any type of crime to finance marijuana. The worst "crime" I have ever seen anyone ever do to get marijuana is harvest a couple of plants behind their shed.

Hell one can argue McDonalds is psychologically addicting.

McDonalds isn't illegal and doesn't have to be smuggled into the country.  Just because you don't know any smugglers means nothing.  Do you really think that weed from Colombia (or anywhere else south of the border) comes from anything but the drug cartels?  Look at the recent actions of the Mexican drug cartels.  That pot you're smoking is soaked in blood.

You can do as you feel you must, but don't delude yourself.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

McDonalds isn't illegal and doesn't have to be smuggled into the country.  Just because you don't know any smugglers means nothing.  Do you really think that weed from Colombia (or anywhere else south of the border) comes from anything but the drug cartels?  Look at the recent actions of the Mexican drug cartels.  That pot you're smoking is soaked in blood.

If the weed that is smoked in this country (don't personally smoke, at least not now) is soaked in blood, then the gas your car burns is soaked in the 9-11 victims blood, the fruits and vegetables you eat, which are hand picked by illlegals, are soaked in the blood and tears of all the victims, especially the children, of all illegal alien gang members (tolerated due to the illegal work force).

So the next time you eat an apple, remember Dani Countryman

The mexican cartels violence is only in existence because our archaic govt will not lift the criminalization of marijuana.

Sorry but it is you who is wrong. You say I don't have a statistic to stand on but you provide nothing factual to counter it. I don't know where you get that "It's been known for a long time" that pot is psychologically addictive. Again you produce nothing factual to back up your claim.

I also never mentioned smuggling. The vast majority of pot smoked in the US comes from California (It's the state's number 1 cash crop). People who engage in smuggling anything from one country to another, whether it be drugs, liquor, ciggarettes or even people, are dangerous criminals but that's not what we're talking about here since most pot smoked in America is grown here.

I would suggest that you watch the documentary "Marijuana, A chronic history" It is not biased in either direction and both sides are equally represented.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

That's the point I am trying to make.  Yeah the weed people get here is soaked in blood, but that's because it's illegal and have no choice.  If it was legal, we could harvest it ourselves and even sell it in pharmacies, then it would be no different than tobacco...

Cleveland Launcher DST 10.5*

Ping G15 17*

Mizuno MP-53 4-PW with GS-95

Mizuno MPT-11 Black Nickel 52* and 58* with GS-95

Ping Redwood Anser

If an adult in this country wants to smoke a joint in the privacy of their own home, they should be allowed to. It's the same as me enjoying a few India Pale Ale's or a glass of wine. I don't prefer it myself, but I know a number of functioning, successful adults who do. The sheer amount of resources pissed away every year convicting and housing people in jail for petty marjuana crimes is a more than enough reason for Americans to be behind legalizing it. The government will NEVER stop it, let's be honest. I'm totally for stopping cocaine, meth labs, heroin, etc. But pot is more like alcohol than any of that shit and it's a complete waste of our tax dollars to try and stop it some how. Plus, if it's legal, all of the problems with smuggling go away.

• Administrator

Let's cool it just a little.

I disagree that threads like this are bad, and I support their being here, but let's not get carried away either, and that includes name-calling of any kind, which will be acted upon if reported. We give y'all a lot of rope. Don't hang yourselves with it.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by xxsoultonesxx

HIGHly doubt it can be blamed on 'da healin' herb mon'!  Many PGA tour pros look stoned as hell and seem to work the ball just fine.

When the put in the PGA drug tests the most moans came about because of herb.  Most Pros do not like to drink due to the effects the next day so herb has always been a great alternative.

Originally Posted by tanktwo2

Yeah probably was an off day.  Read an article about how smoking pot can impair your coordination and concentration the next day.

My concentration seemed to be horrible

Where can we read this incredibly ignorant and baseless article?

Originally Posted by alo1984

It's remarkable how many people actually know what the effect could be a day later. I don't have any experiential input to give regarding pot but alcohol hangovers definitely have a negative effect on my game so I would imagine weed would do the same.

nope two completely different things.

Originally Posted by Michael Phelps

Quote:

Originally Posted by NI4NI

Weed hangover; didn't know it existed..

Well when i say weed hangover i kinda mean in a haze the next day, i remember feeling like that when i first started taking a couple tokes here and their. Also smoking a high grade of hash(concentrated trichomes from the marijuana plant for those who dont know) can def keep you high for a good 12 hours leaving a strange after glow.

absolutely no such thing as weed hangover. well see the maybe maybe exception below. and that's a very slim maybe

Originally Posted by Kenny D

I remember in college one of my golf buddies would smoke right on the course... he was a great golfer and he would get high as a kite!  He was around a  10-12 hc and would empty out his cigarette and fill it with the green stuff... I was always worried we'd be arrested or something lol maybe just some of his paranoia rubbing off on me haha... I know the worst rounds I've played have been due to lack of sleep or hangover from the night before.  So I cant imagine a "weed hangover" being any different.

I know a guy who won our club championship while smoking during the round

Originally Posted by Michael Phelps

Yep ive used it everyday for over 5 years.  A weed Hangover does exist, it's not like an alcohol hangover which is what im assuming everyone is comparing it to.  More or less if you smoke to much and everything is somewhat in a haze the next day..  This really only applys to people who rarely smoke though.

ok maybe only maybe to those who rarely smoke.  for all others no such thing

I will stop quoting. but bottom line. herb is a gift from God. Put on this earth for the use of man as the bible says. It's a plant that grows with God's sun and water. It's as good as apples and oranges.  Keep in mind it does not have to be smoked. It can be eaten, drank rubbed on in your suntan lotion.

OK, one more quote.  4 Putt you are 100% completely wrong.  It is not psychologically addictive. I have quite with zero difficulty after smoking every day for 20 years.  I have had at least 50 friends who quit and not one...I repeat not one has had any difficulty in doing it.  That is a line of total b.s..

As far as smuggling in pot.  If one only deals in pot then they are 100% different than coke, heroine and moonshine smugglers.  Those products kill people through their use.  Pot does not, has not and will never kill a person.

A person who deals in pot in the U.S. is only considered a crook because crooks made it illegal.  Pre 1920 ish they would not have been considered a crook.  Pre 1800 ish they would have been considered an upright American doing their part.  In many places around the world you are not considered a crook.

And last but not least a pot smoker absolutely will not do anything to get the $ to support their habit.  That is pure rubbish nonsense.  What they may do is clock in a little over time at the job they show up to everyday and get some extra cash.

Well said 2balls.  We should just delete the whole thread except for that post, it says all that needs to be said...

Cleveland Launcher DST 10.5*

Ping G15 17*

Mizuno MP-53 4-PW with GS-95

Mizuno MPT-11 Black Nickel 52* and 58* with GS-95

Ping Redwood Anser

Originally Posted by meenman

The stoners on this board are not using it for *medicinal* purposes. Only a stoner would argue for the legalization of pot.

You also can not argue the fact that pot is usually a stepping stone for those on the wrong track. Most teenagers dont start with coke or heroin - they build their way up to it.

Bullshit, i use it for medicinal purposes.  Had brain surgery when i was 6, tell me why i shouldnt be aloud to take a toke.  You know in some states it's illegal to get your dick sucked, you think you should go to jail for that? I doubt it.

Truth be told Alcohol is the first stepping stone,  so using your logic it should be illegal as well.

Wow, a dope thread, how did I know this would get ugly.  My take?  Legalize dope, use the savings in resources to ratchet up the pressure, (primarily in the form of addiction treatment) on more dangerous drugs.

Note: This thread is 2719 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!