IGNORED

Someone Hit me With their Ball... Did I take it too far?

DJYoshi
Note: This thread is 4751 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Way too much!!!  You should have given the ball back to him......I would have returned it with a puched 3 iron...6 feet off the ground.  Maybe put it back into the bag for him...use a swift kick to the center of the bag to unzip it!!!!

Maybe I'm the odd man out here because, depending on the sky conditions, I sometimes lose my ball off the tee.  I've never really considered yelling Fore in that case (and it's happened to me more than once).

On the other hand, were I to hit someone in that scenario, I'd be very apologetic and not act like the guy described in the original post...

ping.gif Hoofer C1 Stand Bag
taylormade.gif R11 10.5 Driver 

taylormade.gif RBZ #3 Fairway Wood
cleveland.gif Launcher DST #5 Fairway Wood
wishon.gif 785HF #3, #4, #5 Hybrids - Graphite shaft
wishon.gif 770cfe #6-SW - Graphite shaftodyssey.gif White Ice Putter  

We have grossly different definitions of what constitutes "line crossing" or where the line is.  Hit in the back by a golf ball, on the fly, no "FORE", and no apology-I think the OP's reaction was extremely measured given those circumstances.

A flying golf ball is dangerous-YOU NEED TO YELL "FORE!" if there is any possibility of someone getting hit.  And an apology when you do hit someone is just plain common sense and basic human decency.  The guy is lucky the OP didn't reach into his bag and snap a couple clubs in half.

Originally Posted by Huffy2k

I dunno Jamo, I think throwing the ball OB was over the line.  Sure, you can get upset and have some words but when you destroy someone else's property (yeah, even a Ram ball qualifies), you crossed the line IMO.

You need to yell FORE, if that's too much work then golf is the wrong sport for you.

Originally Posted by Huffy2k

Maybe I'm the odd man out here because, depending on the sky conditions, I sometimes lose my ball off the tee.  I've never really considered yelling Fore in that case (and it's happened to me more than once).

On the other hand, were I to hit someone in that scenario, I'd be very apologetic and not act like the guy described in the original post...

Originally Posted by max power

You need to yell FORE, if that's too much work then golf is the wrong sport for you.

Well mate, it's obviously not a question of "too much work" but thanks for your concern...

ping.gif Hoofer C1 Stand Bag
taylormade.gif R11 10.5 Driver 

taylormade.gif RBZ #3 Fairway Wood
cleveland.gif Launcher DST #5 Fairway Wood
wishon.gif 785HF #3, #4, #5 Hybrids - Graphite shaft
wishon.gif 770cfe #6-SW - Graphite shaftodyssey.gif White Ice Putter  

I guess I can understand your reaction given the guy's attitude although when you do something like that you're taking a risk of escalating the conflict.  Getting hit with a golf ball can be serious and even life threating and even if the fellow is new to the game he needs to learn.  If the fellow was truthful and didn't realize where his ball was going, I bet next time he doesn't know where the ball is he'll yell "fore".

Butch

I had a very similar experience and reacted in much the same way.  I don't think you took it to far.  People need to learn that they need to yell FORE!!

Driver: Callaway RAZR Fit 9.5* , Aldila RIP’d stiff shaft (60g).

Ping G10 15* Hybrid
Callaway Heavan Wood 19* Hybrid
Putter: T-Line XXIV Tommy Armour

Ping i/3 Irons green dot
Cleveland 60* Lob wedge, Ping 56* Sand wedge, Nike SV Tour Black Satin 52* wedge, Ping 48* wedge.

Ball: TaylorMade

no over reaction at all.    Could you imagine what damage a flighted golf ball would do if it hit you in the mouth - you would lose likely many teeth and have life long ill effects from it.    Worse if it hit you in the eye.     There is no excuse for not yelling FORE, and ABSOLUTELY no excuse for the offender not being excessively apologetic !!!!!     Thats the problem here - people just don't realize the damage a golf ball can do.      I would have been much more upset, I'm sure of that - and losing a ball would be the least of his worries ...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The hitter's first response was "I didn't yell 'fore' because I didn't know where the ball was!". The OP had every right to get mad at that. Getting yelled at and losing your ball should be a good learning experience for anyone, newbie or veteran, that you warn people when a shot goes awry.

Originally Posted by jamo

I think the "shit happens" argument ends when you get actually hit with a golf ball.

If you don't know where your ball is going, just yell fore. Worst case scenario... nothing happens.

exactly...

Driver:callaway.gifBig Bertha 460cc 10* Hybrids: adams.gif A7 3-4H  Irons: adams.gif A7 5i-PW
Wedges: cleveland.gifCG 12 50*, CG 14 56*, CG12 60* Putt Putt:odyssey.gif White ICE Tour Bronze 1 Putter

Originally Posted by DJYoshi

I'll be back at the course in 2 weeks. I'll take a picture. the 14th is a dog leg right par 4.. the leg is about 200 out then a 90 degree right turn....

a ton of people (myself included) will cut the corner of the leg to be within a mid iron to the green for your 2nd shot.

it's around a 220 drive to the green where he hit me.

So yes, I'm assuming he was a beginner... and I do realize that I was a beginner too.. but regardless, I always yell fore when it's a questionable shot.

and even though I was frustrated and I do have a temper when I'm annoyed, I've reacted the same exact way or even worse.... when I shot 2 under on the day..the person behind me on a par 3 14th hit into me as I was walking off the green.... I almost walked into the ball. (landed 3 or 4' in front of me). and I was 1 under at that point and I did yell wtf and threw his ball ob too.

Sorry, I just don't think there's any excuse to not yell fore...and there isn't an excuse to just say SORRY. I would've said ok, alright had he apologized.

How many times have you picked someone's ball up and thrown it?

twice.
last week when I got hit and on the par 3 when I was walking off the green and it almost hit me.

Guys if you wanna check out the course layout, it's: Farmstead Golf & Country Club. I was on the 6th hole & he was on the 5th hole of the Lake Course.

conditions that day: GORGEOUS. 55 degrees sunny with no wind.

off the 5th tee box where the guy was teeing off..the sun is to your left.. it doesn't even come into play when trying to spot the ball.

Like I said, sure I was heated from the previous 2 mess up holes...but at least YELL fore or apologize that you didn't and it came close to hitting me on my neck.

someone has died in Jersey by getting hit in the head with the golf ball (great gorge).

There have been countless times people have hit into me...my group etc or almost hit me off from their tee, but they've yelled fore...and it's a mistake... I spray the ball left and right a few times a round and I'll scream fore as a courtesy.

Originally Posted by MikeLowry5

How many times have you picked someone's ball up and thrown it?

DJ Yoshi
Official DJ: Rutgers Football
Boost Mobile Tour
In My Bag
HiBoreXL 9.5 White Board D63 Stiff Exotics CB2 5 Wood, Exotics CB3 3 Wood MP-60 5.5 Flighted Shafts 54 & Cleveland CG-10 60 Newport 2

Originally Posted by DJYoshi

So I'm on the putting green. It's the 15th hole, and I'm putting for par (215 par 3. 3 iron to the right side fringe. chipped it to 4 feet.)

and I had 2 blowup holes in a row (went double bogey, bogey). Instead of being 2 over for the day, I'm 5 over. HEATED from not capitalizing on the previous 2 holes (both par 5's, misclubbed on my 2nd shot causing me to hit into the water).

I'm crouched over reading the putt to hopefully save par, and I hear the driver crack from the 14th hole... out of nowhere BOOM a ball comes flying into my upper back missing my neck by about 6". I stand up and scream out:

"WHAT THE F***" yell fore. They guy screams back, "I didn't yell fore b/c I didn't know where the ball was."

He didn't apologize, didn't say sh**...not an i'm sorry, not a you were right... just gave an excuse that was TERRIBLE as to why he didn't scream fore. So I said: "really a**hole? You could've killed me and you're giving excuses to why you didn't scream fore? If you don't see where your ball is, yell fore."

He then says when "you don't have to be a dick about it"

So I took his nice brand spanking new Ram Tour ball and thew it OB

yes I know I went a little too far, but they were hitting into us all day and not yelling sh**.

yelling FORE would of not changed the situation of you getting hit, lol

taylormade.gif - Taylor Made R11 Driver, 9*
taylormade.gif - Burner 2.0" 4-AW Steel
vokey.gif - Vokey 56*, 60*, 64*
odyssey.gif - Odyssey ProType PT 82

titleist.gif - Pro-V1  taylormade.gif - TMX Stand Bag

Hitting another person with your ball is NEVER acceptable.  EVER. ANY reaction from the person who got plunked that does NOT involve a physical confrontation is 100% acceptable in my book.  But I have been standing on a tee box in a high school tournament talking with my teammate and the two other guys when my teammate, out of nowhere, is suddently writhing on the ground bleeding.  He took a tee shot off the top of the head on the fly.  Sort of a glancing blow (think rock skipping off a lake) and opened him up good.  10 stitches or something....

I'll never forget it.

That said, your verbal reaction and ball tossed into the woods is 100% ok.

:macgregor: V Foil 8.5*    :tmade: Mid Rescue 16*  -- :wilsonstaff: RM  2 thru Wedge -- :vokey: 56/10  -- :scotty_cameron: Studio Design 2  & a  :srixon: Z Star 

Originally Posted by newtogolf

Given the guy never offfered an apology I'd say you were within reason to throw his ball OOB.

even if there is no apology, you should never throw another players ball ob. he is showing his class as an idiot. you can show him some class by just letting it go. by throwing the ball ob, you are proving you are just as dumb as he is for not apologizing

golf is a lot like life. the more you enjoy it, the better off you are. a3_biggrin.gif

Nope-hitting into someone, not yelling fore, and not apologizing are not on the same level as throwing his ball away.  Not even close.

Originally Posted by golf4fun12

even if there is no apology, you should never throw another players ball ob. he is showing his class as an idiot. you can show him some class by just letting it go. by throwing the ball ob, you are proving you are just as dumb as he is for not apologizing

Note: This thread is 4751 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!