IGNORED

I usually wear jeans and a t-shirt to the golf course. So?

PaulMVR
Note:Β This thread is 4775 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Quote:

I find trousers and a golf polo to be far more comfortable than jeans and tshirt for playing golf. ...

On summer days, a golf shirt with a collar will help keep the sun off your neck and cut down on your fatigue. Also, jeans material is usually thicker than cotton dress slacks, so it is hotter during hot weather.

Also, it depends on where you play. If you're at the local public golf course, tee and jeans might be OK. But if you go to a more upscale course, or get invited to a corporate scramble, wear a golf shirt and some slacks - or shorts if the weather is hot. Many courses withΒ dress codes ban tee shirts and tank tops and jeans. Others stipulate no clothes with razor cuts.

Again, for hot weather a golf shirt and shorts probably would more comfortable.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• CompletedΒ KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking Academy:Β Fitting, Assembly & RepairΒ School (2012)

Driver:Β  :touredge:Β EXSΒ 10.5Β°, weights neutralΒ  Β ||Β Β FWs:Β Β :callaway:Β RogueΒ 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball: Β image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.pngΒ QStar Tour - DivideΒ  ||Β Β Bag: :sunmountain:Β Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by meenman

And this is where the t-shirt wearing crowd starts the class warfare. I have news for you, only the uneducated think that only rich people care about their appearance in public.

Exactly.

Rock up to a wedding Β or a funeral in jeans and a T-shirt and when you get strange looks, you can demand that people explain what the clothes you wear have to do with the type of person you are. Β Ask them to give proof of why what's on the outside implies anything about the person on the inside. You can then accuse them of being shallow. Β Better still, turn up to a funeral in your golf clothes. Β Why should it matter?

Whether we like it or not, there are dress conventions in our society. Β It's about respecting yourself, the place you're at and the people you're with. You don't wear jeans and T-shirts on a golf course. Β If you do, it's demonstrating ignorance, arrogance and contempt for others. Β I'll bet you don't turn up at a job interview in jeans and a T-shirt. If not, why not? It's all about the type of person you are, isn't it?

If you don't care about any of those things, fine, but don't be surprised when you are judged for what you might consider a superficial reason.

• Upvote 2

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Β 

Β 

Originally Posted by WUTiger

Quote:

On summer days, a golf shirt with a collar will help keep the sun off your neck and cut down on your fatigue. Also, jeans material is usually thicker than cotton dress slacks, so it is hotter during hot weather.

Also, it depends on where you play. If you're at the local public golf course, tee and jeans might be OK. But if you go to a more upscale course, or get invited to a corporate scramble, wear a golf shirt and some slacks - or shorts if the weather is hot. Many courses withΒ dress codes ban tee shirts and tank tops and jeans. Others stipulate no clothes with razor cuts.

Again, for hot weather a golf shirt and shorts probably would more comfortable.

Um... Isn't that more or less what I said? :)

SWING DNA
Speed [77]Β TempoΒ [5]Β ToeDown [5]Β KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5Β° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305Β [:-P]

Ooh boy, this thread is such fun, good to see it being rehashed again!!

If the course doesn't have a dress code, then knock yourself out.Β  Be forewarned that there's a fair number of people out there (evidenced by this thread) who will make foolish judgements about you based on whether you happen to choose clothing that fits their model of what's appropriate.Β  So decide whether or not you care, and how you weight that against your comfort / personal taste.

In my case, I generally wear jeans pretty freely in all but formal occasions.Β  For golf, however, I just don't find jeans to be practical, partly because they impede my swing and partly because the pockets don't accommodate the things I like to carry in them very well.Β  I wouldn't not golf because I had jeans on, but I wouldn't choose them if I knew I was going out to golf.Β  For shirts, I don't think about it much one way or the other.Β  I tend to wear fewer t-shirts than I used to, so I don't wind up wearing them to golf all that often, but it's not something I'm inclined to think or worry about.

I've never had anyone say anything, and I wouldn't consider anyone I met on the course to be invited to share their opinion about my clothes with me.Β  I also look forward to recreational golf being more widely recognized as an athletic activity that has no need for fashion rules...

And this is where the t-shirt wearing crowd starts the class warfare. I have news for you, only the uneducated think that only rich people care about their appearance in public.

Nice generalization.Β  I particularly like the application of the "Anyone who disagrees with me is uneducated or otherwise inferior" fallacy to the subject.Β  Well, maybe you're right about the specific of "rich people," but I know plenty of people among the most educated on the planet who feel that people worried about impressing other people through their appearance are blowhards.Β  So, I'm sorry, but your news is factually incorrect.Β  Just be honest: you feel that those who don't care about their appearance (or, more specifically, that their appearance be pleasing to you) are inferior.Β  Don't hide it behind false facts or equating education with whatever you mean.

• Upvote 1

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10Β° driver, FT 21Β° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15Β° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52Β° GW, Tom Watson 56Β° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60Β° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Originally Posted by NEOHMark

The only time I wear jeans while playing on a golf course is very early in the season and very late in the season. Β The reason? Β Mud.

I hear you - I have a pair of black rain pants I use for those conditions.

Bill

Originally Posted by zeg

Nice generalization.Β  I particularly like the application of the "Anyone who disagrees with me is uneducated or otherwise inferior" fallacy to the subject.Β  Well, maybe you're right about the specific of "rich people," but I know plenty of people among the most educated on the planet who feel that people worried about impressing other people through their appearance are blowhards.Β  So, I'm sorry, but your news is factually incorrect.Β  Just be honest: you feel that those who don't care about their appearance (or, more specifically, that their appearance be pleasing to you) are inferior.Β  Don't hide it behind false facts or equating education with whatever you mean.

Well, at least you made it easy for me to figure out your lack of education. So, according to your logic, people that dress respectably are *blowhards* that only dress appropriately to impress others. Let me guess, you probably think it is ok to run around the golf course smoking the hippie lettuce too.

Nowhere in my original post did I trash people for wearing clothes that I wouldnt. I am sure that there are a fair amount of people on this board that wouldnt be caught dead in the Loudmouth clothing I enjoy wearing while golfing. There are acceptable places for any kind of clothing. T-shirts and jeans have their place - I personally dont hang out in places where they are acceptable.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

I don't wear jeans to golf in unless it's a surprise round on my way home from work. They're not skin tight designer jeans and they have regular pockets (same size and shape as my golf pants - not sure what peopleΒ need to carry that they can't fit it into aΒ jeans pocket).Β Do people judge me on the rare occasion I have jeans on? Probably no more than I judge a guy who dresses like Sergio Garcia, pulls a staff bag full of high end gear, and sprays Tour balls into the trees all day. As long as people respect the course, the pace of play, and their fellow golfers, I care not what they wear. Will I comment on their "outfit" out of boredom? Oh yeah.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Maybe it is just the area I am in but I would say at least 75% of the people on any given day, or any given course in my area, are wearing jeans. Especially early in the season. The couple times I golfed with the pro at a course, he was wearing jeans also.

In My Bag: Nike SQ Dymo Str8 fit driver Nike SQ 13* 3 wood Nickent 3dx 20* hybrid Wilson Pi5 irons 3-PW Cleveland CG 12 52* Nike VR Pro Forged Wedge 56* & 60* Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II Putter

Originally Posted by NEOHMark

The only time I wear jeans while playing on a golf course is very early in the season and very late in the season. Β The reason? Β Mud.

Yeah, that does make sense. I have a pretty shitty pair of khakis or cords specifically for that occasion.

-Rich

Originally Posted by pope1086

Maybe it is just the area I am in but I would say at least 75% of the people on any given day, or any given course in my area, are wearing jeans. Especially early in the season. The couple times I golfed with the pro at a course, he was wearing jeans also.

There is a course I occasionally play at where I am in the minority not wearing jeans. This course caters to what it has for customers - people a little lower on the salary scale that live in the middle off nowhere. At $15-$20/ round with $5 replays it gets all the locals. I dont want to be accused of stereotyping, but these jeans-wearing people really dont believe in the real rules of golf either. I would shoot in the 70s all the time if I played by their rules.

It is what it is - without these people the course would not exist and it gives the guys out there a place to golf and smoke their brain darts with impunity.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Well, at least you made it easy for me to figure out your lack of education. So, according to your logic, people that dress respectably are *blowhards* that only dress appropriately to impress others. Let me guess, you probably think it is ok to run around the golf course smoking the hippie lettuce too.

No, I don't fault anyone for choosing whatever sort of dress they want, whether it's because it's comfortable, that it's appropriate to the event, will impress someone of importance, etc.Β  I'm likely to consider someone a blowhard if they aren't able to comprehend that someone's tastes might be different and make foolish assumptions as a result.Β  In any case, without reference to whether I do or do not agree with your opinion, your statement about "uneducated people" is incorrect and out of place, and a pretty weak way to try to argue your position.

But, I guess I should hold my tongue until I get this PhD finished.Β  Sorry for getting uppity, Professor.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

They're not skin tight designer jeans and they have regular pockets (same size and shape as my golf pants - not sure what peopleΒ need to carry that they can't fit it into aΒ jeans pocket).

The jeans I sometimes wear are not tight, and certainly not designer, but I usually keep a golf ball in one pocket and some tees, a ball marker, a divot tool, and maybe a pencil in the other.Β  Non-jean pants seem to hang a little looser in the pocket area, maybe just because the material is less heavy, but the ball in particular sometimes bothers me.Β  I also worried a bit more about stabbing myself on the pencil when going for the ball marker, but that's less of an issue because I usually keep score on my iPod now.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10Β° driver, FT 21Β° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15Β° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52Β° GW, Tom Watson 56Β° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60Β° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

I think we can split the community into 2 .

1. The people who can't afford it all and just would like to enjoy the game, and there's courses for this group of people.

2. And people who does it right and can afford it and is much more serious about it. And courses who cater to this group as well.

I for one never wear jeans. At the very least, I wear khakis.Β  I went to a store to demo a club in jeans and business shoes.

It was a nightmare. Can't turn and can't even finish the right way because of shoes. And even took off my shoes for more balance... hurt my left foot a little.

Golf is accessible to everyone nowadays.

So all in all I try not to judge the book by its cover, but I like everyone to respect the course's rules.

And I try to focus on my own image / game .

Originally Posted by zeg

The jeans I sometimes wear are not tight, and certainly not designer, but I usually keep a golf ball in one pocket and some tees, a ball marker, a divot tool, and maybe a pencil in the other.Β  Non-jean pants seem to hang a little looser in the pocket area, maybe just because the material is less heavy, but the ball in particular sometimes bothers me.Β  I also worried a bit more about stabbing myself on the pencil when going for the ball marker, but that's less of an issue because I usually keep score on my iPod now.

I have more room in my jeans pockets than my golf pants. I do not wear pants with pleated frontsΒ because I've always disliked them very much.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by PaulMVR

Some other SandTrap threads have got me thinking about clothing...

The only clothes I own are jeans and t-shirts.Β  I own one golf shirt and I usually don't wear it, and if I do wear it, it's with jeans.

I've never been to a course that enforces any sort of dress code, not even Bunker Hills(minnesota) as far as I know.

I wear shorts if it's really hot outside, and if it's really cold then it's jeans and a baggy sweatshirt.

Is it beneficial to the golf game to wear "golf" clothes because they're more comfortable?Β  Or is it just to look more sophisticated?, I've never thought "hey, I should have some extra outfits just for golf".. Although I do want to start wearing some of that stuff...

Anyone ever see a scratch golfer wearing jeans and a t-shirt while playing?

Hell, If I was a good golfer, I'd buy a bunch of the John DalyΒ  Loud Mouth pants... but I don't think you want to draw a lot of attention to yourself when you can barely hit the ball.

Around here you would only play the Municipal courses as most all of the other require a shirt with a collar and no jeans or cut offs for men. Β Not sure I agree with policy but that's the way it is here.

Butch

I guess I don't really care what others wear to the course, to each their own. Could I be accused of noticing someone wearing jeans and a baggy t-shirt to the course and thinking that guy looks sloppy? Sure.

Me personally, I wouldn't wear jeans and t-shirt for two reasons: 1. I get enjoyment out of "dressing like a golfer" when I'm at the course. Keep in mind this in the same way I enjoy dressing like a businessman when I'm working in the office. In other words, I like to dress appropriately for the occasion. 2. (and more importantly) I find jeans and t-shirt to be way too uncomfortable for playing golf. Golf shirts and pants are designed to be light, flexible, and breathable. Jeans and t-shirt not so much.

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by Dave H

I guess I don't really care what others wear to the course, to each their own. Could I be accused of noticing someone wearing jeans and a baggy t-shirt to the course and thinking that guy looks sloppy? Sure.

Me personally, I wouldn't wear jeans and t-shirt for two reasons: 1. I get enjoyment out of "dressing like a golfer" when I'm at the course. Keep in mind this in the same way I enjoy dressing like a businessman when I'm working in the office. In other words, I like to dress appropriately for the occasion. 2. (and more importantly) I find jeans and t-shirt to be way too uncomfortable for playing golf. Golf shirts and pants are designed to be light, flexible, and breathable. Jeans and t-shirt not so much.

I like to look like a golfer too, but jeans and t-shirts are too restrictive for a golf swing? WTH? It's not like you're playing tennis or something that requires running and actual physical exertion.

Note:Β This thread is 4775 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!