IGNORED

What Would you have done?

90fiveo
Note: This thread is 4761 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Was Driving in on the road to my course halfway in i see a club in the road.

stopped and picked it up. it was a Ping g2 5 wood. i turned it in to the pro shop. really nice club. thought about keeping it , just couldnt do it.

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by 90fiveo

stopped and picked it up. it was a Ping g2 5 wood. i turned it in to the pro shop. really nice club. thought about keeping it , just couldnt do it.

That's the only right answer. Whatever happens to the club after that is not your concern. Unlike a golf ball that can be considered abandoned, golf clubs and unique or expensive accessories are likely not abandoned. The person who lost it may not even know it's missing until the next time they play. If it's a casual golfer, that may be months from now.

• Upvote 1

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I inventory my clubs almost every time I'm grabbing something out of my bag. One thing I really like about the woode top on my ogio bag, I know immediately if something is missing.

Definitely would have turned the club in. I know what it feels like to lose a club. I had a buddy lose a nice mizuno wedge when we were playing one time, someone stole it and he was devastated because it was a graduation present from his grandfather and it had his initials engraved in it.

Karma says whoever stole it will never hit a good shot with it...

Originally Posted by xxsoultonesxx

Karma says whoever stole it will never hit a good shot with it...

Seriously, if you took that there could be some really bad mojo along with that thing. You made the right choice and will possibly be rewarded with a nicely hit 5-wood in your next round perhaps.

l Bag l TaylorMade Stand Bag

l Driver l TaylorMade '07 Burner 9.5* l 3-Wood l Titleist 910F 15* (D1 shaft setting)

l Hybrids l TaylorMade '07 Burner 19* : TaylorMade '10 Rescue 22*

l Irons l TaylorMade r7 5-PW l Wedges l Titleist Bob Vokey 52* 56* 60*

l Putter l Scotty Cameron California Del Mar 34" l Balls l TaylorMade Penta TP

Good decision, it probably fell out of someones bag/cart without their knowing and they are trying to figure out where they lost it.  What comes around goes around, hopefully someone will be as considerate as you were if you leave a club somewhere on the course.

I would have turned it in just like you did.  In fact I have turned in several clubs and other items to the pro shop over the years.   The only time I ever left a club on the course it was turned in and I got it back.  Makes you feel good about belonging to such an honest fraternity.  Honesty and integrity don't seem to be the norm today in some sports.

Butch

Stealing the club wouldn't have even crossed my mind if i ran into a club near the course.  I always turn clubs in, because I've had many problems working at a course and having people blaming other people for stealing their clubs when they accidentally dropped it.  As sean_miller said, clubs are expensive... no one wants to just toss a club into the abyss.  You find it, you turn it in.  I mean, if you found a club broken in half and the head was still in good shape, I'd keep it because someone was disrespecting their property and obviously threw it away.  I've broken clubs when getting pissed, but I always feel ashamed for doing it and will go get it reshafted.  But, definitely if the club was whole and in good shape, I'd turn it in.

• Upvote 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am a huge believer of karma. I would turn that in to the pro shop the instant I picked it up.

like xxsoultonesxx said, I check my clubs after every hole to make sure I have them. that way, I know exactly what hole to look at for a lost club because I look after every hole.

You did the absolute right and only thing by turning it in. good for you! and karma will now see that and reward you.

golf is a lot like life. the more you enjoy it, the better off you are. a3_biggrin.gif

You need confirmation from a buch of anonymous people online to tell you that taking something that isn't yours is bad? lol YES, you did the right thing...?

Last summer I left a brand new cg12 right next to the trap on the 18th. Went into the clubhouse, got a beer and 15 mins later went outside to leave I check my bag before leaving and see its not there I realize the last shot I took with it was out of the 18th greenside bunker and run over (maybe 15mins have passed).

The group behind us is long gone and so is my club. I went into the proshop and no1 had turned in anything that day.

So yes you did the right thing stealing a club is extremely bad mojo and you should never ever do it. Because its SERIOUSLY Freaking annoying to the person who lost it.

Driver:callaway.gifBig Bertha 460cc 10* Hybrids: adams.gif A7 3-4H  Irons: adams.gif A7 5i-PW
Wedges: cleveland.gifCG 12 50*, CG 14 56*, CG12 60* Putt Putt:odyssey.gif White ICE Tour Bronze 1 Putter

Turning in the club was the only correct decision IMO.  Last season alone, I turned in 4 different clubs (2 were nicer than what I had), along with various head covers and towels.  Lost golf balls were kept (considered dispendable - most golfers accept that lost golf balls will not be returned, but that common courtesy applies to returning found clubs at least).

Do unto others...

Ive found clubs and headcovers on the course and turned them in but never outside the course.  Im assuming this club was actually still on the the course's property.   Otherwise, i cant see how someone would lose it other than it falling out of their bag while leaving.  Im a bit of obsessive compulsive, i check after every hole to see if i have all my clubs.  I left an 8 iron on the course once as I was chipping with it and forgot it, i did get it back eventually(was a cheap walmart set but still)  Occasionally ill realize i left my pw  by the previous green(my chipping club 99% of the time), its easier to go pick it up if you're only on the next teebox when you realize it.   Usually if im on the course and see a club left behind,  ill try to find the next group ahead of me and return it to them as I assume it belongs to them.  If I cant find the owner that way, ill turn it in to the clubhouse.

Driver-Taylormade Burner Ti 420 cc 10.5 deg reg flex
3 wood-orlimar rcx 14 deg
Hybrids-warrior golf 20 deg, 23 deg and 26 deg
6-pw-AFFINITY / ORLIMAR HT2 irons steel shafts, reg flex, 56 deg tour series wedge
Putter-Rife 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet...

Anyone who would keep the club under those circumstances doesn't DESERVE to be golfer. They are not my brethren and I will go as far as to say they ARE NOT golfers, they are merely people who play golf.

What would Shivas Irons have to say about that?

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

How very refreshing to read this. That is what it used to be like back in the day when people actually knew what the word integrity meant. Good on ya mate!

Originally Posted by breakout89

You need confirmation from a buch of anonymous people online to tell you that taking something that isn't yours is bad? lol YES, you did the right thing...?

That's how I felt. To paraphrase Bobby Jones, this is like someone asking to be congratulated for their integrity because they didn't rob a bank.

Bill

Note: This thread is 4761 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!