IGNORED

Beat down sore after a round ... anybody else ?

inthehole
Note: This thread is 4753 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm only 46, but man, I get beat up feeling after playing a round of golf - back hurts, feet hurt, knees hurt, shoulder hurts, elbow hurts, hand hurts (I prefer to walk with a pull cart).      Advil is a must.     I have developed a pretty good swing - no huge issues ... it's just general fatigue (my wife says after she sees me hobbling around after a typical round ... if I were a horse, I'd be glue by now).      Granted, I'm not in particularly good shape, but have always been athletic ... I'd say about average for a 46 year old desk jockey.           I really have taken to it & am seeing alot of improvement in a short time, so I plan to keep at it.      Is the golf swing that inherently hard on the body ?     I'm sure I try to hit it like I would have when I was much younger, and thats probably the problem (tough to admit you're getting old).

Just curious how do the older guys (ok ok, middle aged guys too) feel after playing a round ?      Am I alone or is it just part of the game as we get older  (I really don't know how the senior guys can do it ...)

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yeah, 41 here and have learned from experience that I need to ice my right shoulder and right side (ribs/intercostals) after every good practice session at the range, otherwise I'll be very stiff and sore the next day. Can still walk and and play 18 without too many negative side effects, other than monkey butt when it's really humid.

My hands also do hurt in the mornings, but I'm not sure if that's the golf or the family history of arthritis. As my 89-year-old Dad says: "Getting old is not for sissies!"

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

I'm 45 and I don't experience any adverse problems from playing or practicing, but I also work out at least twice a week and am fairly active outside of golf and working out.  I'm pretty skinny too (6' 165lbs), so that no doubt puts less of a strain on me overall.  I'm not totally hardcore when it comes to diet and exercise but I also realize that everything has a price.  Your activity level dictates how well your body stands up to use and abuse.  There's just no way around it.

Let me put it like this: playing golf is great and walking to increase your activity level is a no brainer, but as exercise it does nothing for me.  The day after I hit the gym I experience the after effects of a real workout, muscle sorness etc.  Not the bad kind of pain where you've hurt yourself but instead muscle soreness that comes from tearing your muscles down and your body building them back up.  I've never been sore from golfing and walking, even walking 27-36 holes in the same day.  I don't say this to brag instead to point out where if all you're doing is playing and walking I don't think you'll ever see your body adequately acclimate itself to playing without being sore afterward.  What you need to do is incorporate other forms of strenuous activity and you'll find that as your body adapts to that golf will become less of a strain on your system.  I'm not saying I don't get tired and fatigued from playing, I do, but that evening and the next day I can't tell that I've done something active.  But that's because my body is used to much more strenuous forms of activity.

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

I'm 45, I may be a little tired from being out in the fresh air, but never sore even when pushing a cart.  I do a lot of cardio, and weight lifting, so that may be why I don't feel it as much.  Given your description you might want to look at your swing mechanics, sounds like you're really swinging hard.

Joe Paradiso

There are a lot of variables at play; some folks just aren't as durable or able to absorb the continuous effects over 18-holes of walking and hitting.   This includes youngsters:  my buddy's college nephew usually plays a few rounds with us over the summer, and he is toast after one round.

Hot and humid conditions are the worst for me, but I'm never all aches and pains (just soaked).  I can almost always play another 18 right after finishing the first 18, but almost never do because of other commitments (honey do list).

I'm 24 and struggle with an extremely bad lower back, ruined knees from 9 years of skateboarding and a weak left wrist form breaking it twice.....what the hell am I gonna do when I'm 45.......

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Originally Posted by Kieran123

I'm 24 and struggle with an extremely bad lower back, ruined knees from 9 years of skateboarding and a weak left wrist form breaking it twice.....what the hell am I gonna do when I'm 45.......

At least you'll have had 20+ years of playing by the time you're 45 ... I just started last fall - I fail.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

I'm 44 and in better shape than most, but every winter I start preparing for golf season by lifting weights, yoga and cardio.  My newest discovery has been P90X!  I've done three cycles of it now and I swear by it. My wife and I are starting INSANITY next Monday.  If you don't have access to a gym nor a lot of time to workout-this is for you!  Friday- I practiced for two hours, walked 18 and then hit a bucket after the round, now yes the next day I felt some soreness but it's early in the golf season and I expect that!  Golf alone won't improve your overall health-you got to add something a little more intense!

I'm 45 and in pretty decent shape.  I would say that an overall fitness routine would be in order 3x a week just to help you stretch, strengthen your body, and improve cardio. Like Stretch, I have the hands issue, but the doc says it is the beginning of arthritis.  Other than that, if I can stretch out a few times a week, I have no real issues.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

I'm 26, and it depends on how much water i drink. I found that if i don't drink enough water in a round that my legs and body feel alot sorer than if i do.

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

For me (51), it's my hips.  They can ache after 16 holes, so I will do some stretching during the round to prevent the fatigue.   I have also found spending 5 minutes after the round stretching really helps.  Staying hydrated helps a lot when it gets warm.  Icing sore areas is important too and helps speed recovery.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Pain tends to be less if I work out regularly, including flexibility exercises. I have recurring hip and back trouble, so doctor recommends an ibuprofin before the round, and one at the turn - prevents stiffening and pain.

That said, spring and fall rounds when it's chilly tend to increase soreness - hard to keep the muscles warm.

and as per saevel25 , it helps to keep drinking the water, plus sports drink on back 9.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I am 55 and have a number of chronic back and joint issues.  The poster who mentioned off season work nailed it.  When combined with a little after round stretching you will probably find that it is likely you will see a reduction in your discomfort.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

Note: This thread is 4753 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!