IGNORED

AimPoint Green Reading

Here's something that I've noticed that I hope someone could explain to me.

My approach is that I put a line on my ball, line that up with my aimpoint and when I'm over the ball I focus primarily on lining the little line on my club up with the line on the ball.

I've noticed that when I'm on a steep slope (say 4% at 90*), with the ball below my feet, and stand over my ball, the line does not appear to be pointing to the same place as when I lined it up from behind the ball.  It always looks like its lined up with MUCH less break.  If I putt along the line on my ball, i miss low.

It must be some sort of perception/optical illusion sort of thing caused by the slope.  Like I'm not looking directly down on the ball or something?  Is this some basic problem that every hacker cures their third trip out or am I some sort of weirdo?  Hopefully something in between?

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by dsc123 I've noticed that when I'm on a steep slope (say 4% at 90*), with the ball below my feet, and stand over my ball, the line does not appear to be pointing to the same place as when I lined it up from behind the ball.  It always looks like its lined up with MUCH less break.  If I putt along the line on my ball, i miss low.

My routine is similar and I've noticed the same line distortion. Seems to increase with distance as well as slope. I don't have any suggestions other than if I am having trouble seeing the line I look from above and below the hole with the flag in to see if I can hit the alignment mark on the ball looking both ways, if it's visable. That and as dorky as it looks I've been doing the looking through my hands formed in a tunnel thing for a few weeks. Not sure if it's luck or my approach shots are leaving me easier putts but the last 3 times out was the best I've putted all year. That said as hard as it can be to see the line the struggle for me is distance control.

Dave :-)

• Administrator
Originally Posted by dsc123

I've noticed that when I'm on a steep slope (say 4% at 90*), with the ball below my feet, and stand over my ball, the line does not appear to be pointing to the same place as when I lined it up from behind the ball.  It always looks like its lined up with MUCH less break.  If I putt along the line on my ball, i miss low.

You're probably putting the line straight on the farthest side away from the green rather than purely on the top. Take care to set the line down perfectly on top.

The alternative idea is that your eyes are positioned differently (so the line looks different) on steeper slopes. Take care to "lean into the slope" with your feet a bit so your eyes can go to the normal position over or just inside the golf ball.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I stopped using the line on the ball for that reason. Now I place the ball with no markings visible.  For longer putts, I try to find and intermediate point on my aim lie to align to that is much closer to the ball (a la Dave Stockton).

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I used to line up the line on my ball and try and putt on that line, it works well sometimes but I always encountered the problem of being lined up wrong a few times a round which is frustrating, especially on putts without much break.

Now I always line the mark on my ball up to the center of the cup, then I get my aim point and putt. This way I at least know where the center of the cup is relative to where I'm aiming, and it's much easier to line my ball up with the cup than a point on the green

• 5 weeks later...
  • Administrator

The note beneath the video explains what you see here: " When the grade divided by the stimp is greater than 0.7, this is what happens."

This is called "roll-off". It's okay to have some areas of roll-off - false fronts, etc. - but the majority of the green surface should NOT be roll-off.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by boogielicious

I stopped using the line on the ball for that reason. Now I place the ball with no markings visible.  For longer putts, I try to find and intermediate point on my aim lie to align to that is much closer to the ball (a la Dave Stockton).

I may have to do that.  I really like the idea of using the line because when its working, I'm able to pick a line and line up the putt correctly before making a stroke.  So all I've got to focus on is distance. This has been killing me lately though and ruined my confidence.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

• 5 months later...
  • Administrator

Just a point of reference for those who are at all interested: AimPoint won their long-standing court battle over Vector Putting, and Vector has properly been identified as thieves and liars (basically). More here: http://www.prweb.com/releases/2013/7/prweb10890044.htm .

Originally Posted by parallax

There is a major disconnect between your statement and the linked Press Release.

Well, not really, as it appears that AimPoint made its point, so to speak.

No one gets what they want in a settlement.

But let's review parts of the statement. This is only my opinion as I am not familiar with the case. My opinion, sarcasm and humor intended, is in italics:

To the extent Vector Putting, LLC, Michael Schy and David Balbi have created confusion in the marketplace and to correct or set the record straight ( Crap, we screwed up and violated the use of AimPoint's trademark and/or IP, or other assets. They nailed us. We're sorry)

Vector Putting, LLC, Michael Schy and David Balbi started their business utilizing AimPoint Technologies’ data and methods. (We copied their IP and we are now very sorry)

AimPoint Technologies’ business is not based upon Templeton methods or calculations and statements by Vector Putting, LLC, Michael Schy and David Balbi claiming or inferring that AimPoint Technologies has copied or utilized Templeton are incorrect. (We lied through our teeth and now we are very, very sorry)

Based upon the above retraction by Vector Putting, LLC, Michael Schy and David Balbi and other terms contained in a Settlement Agreement, AimPoint Technologies has agreed to settle its claims against Vector Putting, LLC, Michael Schy and David Balbi in pending litigation.” (AimPoint is letting us off the hook if we retract all the bad things we did and promise to acknowledge their IP, etc.)

• Upvote 1

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

• Administrator
Originally Posted by parallax

There is a major disconnect between your statement and the linked Press Release.

Jerry (Mr. Desmond) said it pretty much exactly.

They've stolen (AimPoint information), they've lied (about AimPoint and the foundation of their system), and they've been dishonorable and sleazy.

I'm pleased to announce that AimPoint has settled its lawsuit with Vector Putting after nearly 18 months of hard-fought litigation. Under the terms of the Settlement Agreement, Vector, Schy and Balbi have agreed to a Consent Final Judgment, Permanent Injunctions against them, and a public Retraction of incorrect statements made in the marketplace. Schy and Balbi have issued the following statement which can be distributed worldwide in any form of media:

“To the extent Vector Putting, LLC, Michael Schy and David Balbi have created confusion in the marketplace and to correct or set the record straight, Vector Putting, LLC, Michael Schy and David Balbi started their business utilizing AimPoint Technologies’ data and methods. AimPoint Technologies’ business is not based upon Templeton methods or calculations and statements by Vector Putting, LLC, Michael Schy and David Balbi claiming or inferring that AimPoint Technologies has copied or utilized Templeton are incorrect. Based upon the above retraction by Vector Putting, LLC, Michael Schy and David Balbi and other terms contained in a Settlement Agreement, AimPoint Technologies has agreed to settle its claims against Vector Putting, LLC, Michael Schy and David Balbi in pending litigation.”

This means that Vector is prohibited from ever using any AimPoint data or methods, cannot make statements that AimPoint used Templeton in any way, shape or form, and cannot make any false statements about AimPoint. This judgment also carries the full force of the U.S. Federal Court behind it in terms of enforcement. A formal press release will be issued shortly.

The goal of this litigation was to protect our intellectual property and to set the record straight in the market regarding statements made by Vector and their representatives. This goal was fully achieved and should serve as a strong signal to the marketplace about AimPoint's dedication and willingness to protect its assets and reputation.

• 1 month later...
Originally Posted by nevets88

I took the entry level class last week with Keith Handler (who looks a tad like Kenneth from 30 Rock). I thought it was pricey at first, but in retrospect, I got alot out of it and it was worth it. Although I'm a bit laser beam focused still on my full swing a la Stack and TIlt, there wasn't going to be a class in my area for awhile later, so I took advantage.

Walking the curve to me was the meat of the class, but Keith also gave me a couple of putting tips which really made my speed control and alignment better. I watched carefully during the walking the curve part and it really is a bit of science and art. Kind of like hunting when you track your prey.

I just took the class with Keith Handler on Saturday.  He is now at Sterling Farms in Stamford, CT.  There were just three of us in the class and one of the students was one of the top amateur players in this area who sports a +3.5 index and will most likely be turning pro after he finishes college next year.

After the class we got to stay around and use the level and I was making so many more putts, and had just a much better feel for the way they should break.  Played my first round yesterday with the charts, on a course I've only played twice before, and it definitely helped.  I just ordered the bubble and can't wait to use it in my practice putting sessions.

Rob Tyska

Originally Posted by RemyM

I just took the class with Keith Handler on Saturday.  He is now at Sterling Farms in Stamford, CT.  There were just three of us in the class and one of the students was one of the top amateur players in this area who sports a +3.5 index and will most likely be turning pro after he finishes college next year.

After the class we got to stay around and use the level and I was making so many more putts, and had just a much better feel for the way they should break.  Played my first round yesterday with the charts, on a course I've only played twice before, and it definitely helped.  I just ordered the bubble and can't wait to use it in my practice putting sessions.

Remember to trust your read.  Don't second guess it or you will find out the hard way that the first read was right.  Also pay attention to multi-plane reads and break the putt up into sections if you have to.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

My bubble came today, it's larger then I thought.  Can't wait to try it out tomorrow on the putting green to match what I feel to what it actually is.

Rob Tyska

• 3 weeks later...

I'm now patiently waiting for the day someone makes an aimpoint app for google glass that gives you the blue line like on TV. Something tells me that'll happen one day :-D

It'd be illegal obviously, but fun to mess around with for a round here and there.

• Upvote 1

Constantine

I'm now patiently waiting for the day someone makes an aimpoint app for google glass that gives you the blue line like on TV. Something tells me that'll happen one day :-D It'd be illegal obviously, but fun to mess around with for a round here and there.

You Gl*******, you'd totally get DQ'd for that!

• 3 weeks later...