IGNORED

The Dan Plan - 10,000 Hours to Become a Pro Golfer (Dan McLaughlin)

Jonnydanger81
Note: This thread is 2557 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Yup. If I spent as much time and money as he has so far, I'd be very disappointed to not be at least a scratch golfer.

That's the thing. He didn't have a lot of money. Since he's not flush with cash, it's not like he could occasionally fly to Florida, California, or where any of the hotbeds of really good teaching reside. It would also let him try out lots of different pros. And just spend a lot on instruction. I wondered if he tried online lessons as that's the cheaper way of trying out instructors. I think one the things exposed by the Dan Plan is you need money or need to really luck out on finding a instructor who will fast track your game.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

That's the thing. He didn't have a lot of money. Since he's not flush with cash, it's not like he could occasionally fly to Florida, California, or where any of the hotbeds of really good teaching reside. It would also let him try out lots of different pros. And just spend a lot on instruction. I wondered if he tried online lessons as that's the cheaper way of trying out instructors.

I think one the things exposed by the Dan Plan is you need money or need to really luck out on finding a instructor who will fast track your game.

Actually I think it's more along the lines if you have limited athletic ability you should keep your aspirations tempered when it comes to achieving world class ability at a sport. 99.9% of golfers with any ability at this game which I would say would be players in the 5 and below index range saw this guy absolutely had zero chance in reaching the goal he set for himself very early on. Hand eye coordination is either there or it isn't and in Dans case it isn't and by a long ways at that. I can only imagine how good someone with real ability could get at even 1000 hours, I would dare say single digits for sure and possibly scratch by 2000. Dan has put forward an extreme amount of time and has had very little in return for someone with real ability.

• Upvote 1

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

He could get a better return if his practice wasn't as mindless as it seems to be.

Now you know how engineers feel about marketing. :beer:

He is a really good marketing type, and his ability to sell things is really good. He could make a lot of money with very little effort if he chose to do so. I am wondering what kind of spin he's going to use?

We know that he's about as good as a run of the mill high school freshman player, but does the rest of world believe his word or our word? Keep in mind that he has many people convinced that we are just a bunch of nay saying, jealous, evil golfers that took years to get where we are and he's done it in less than 4 years. According to him anyway. The saga continues. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Now you know how engineers feel about marketing.

He is a really good marketing type, and his ability to sell things is really good. He could make a lot of money with very little effort if he chose to do so. I am wondering what kind of spin he's going to use?

We know that he's about as good as a run of the mill high school freshman player, but does the rest of world believe his word or our word? Keep in mind that he has many people convinced that we are just a bunch of nay saying, jealous, evil golfers that took years to get where we are and he's done it in less than 4 years. According to him anyway. The saga continues. . .

That's a good point.  The average person that hears about Dan, probably doesn't care but also probably doesn't know much about golf.  When they hear that he's playing in "tournaments" after "only" 4500 hours of practice they might think it's a great achievement.

I have to think that anyone who's seriously tried to get better at golf will side with us "naysayers" rather than be amazed at his accomplishment.  Some of the accomplishments of our own sandtrappers are more impressive than what Dan has done.

Joe Paradiso

That's a good point.  The average person that hears about Dan, probably doesn't care but also probably doesn't know much about golf.  When they hear that he's playing in "tournaments" after "only" 4500 hours of practice they might think it's a great achievement.

Great point.

I have to think that anyone who's seriously tried to get better at golf will side with us "naysayers" rather than be amazed at his accomplishment.  Some of the accomplishments of our own sandtrappers are more impressive than what Dan has done.

Hmmmmm, I think that would be close.  Let's be really hard on him and say that he, at best, is what??  A 10 handicap?  Can we at least give him that?  So, in the span of a couple of years, he goes from not ever having played golf to being a 10 handicap.  That's worth something.

Now I don't know all of the histories of the TST accomplishments, but I think somewhere right at the top would be @Stretch who, if I'm not mistaken went from some high handicap to something close to scratch in a similar time period?  Where did he start his journey?  High teens, low 20's?

Dan's not a TST'er so I guess I'd choose to agree with you and vote for Stretch there, but Dan has accomplished at least something . ;)

Great point.

Hmmmmm, I think that would be close.  Let's be really hard on him and say that he, at best, is what??  A 10 handicap?  Can we at least give him that?  So, in the span of a couple of years, he goes from not ever having played golf to being a 10 handicap.  That's worth something.

Now I don't know all of the histories of the TST accomplishments, but I think somewhere right at the top would be @Stretch who, if I'm not mistaken went from some high handicap to something close to scratch in a similar time period?  Where did he start his journey?  High teens, low 20's?

Dan's not a TST'er so I guess I'd choose to agree with you and vote for Stretch there, but Dan has accomplished at least something. ;)

I was thinking of Stretch and the member that chronicled his efforts from high capper to single digits in one year.  I couldn't find the link to get his username.

Joe Paradiso

Not trying to knock Dan too hard, but I went from a VERY generous 24 handicap to where I am now in the same timeframe that he's taken, while also passing (with a 3.8 GPA) all of my high school classes at the same time. He's done nothing but golf. I'm a little fed up with him right now, but I know if I pointed out how meager his accomplishments are he would just say, "Well, he's just a hater" or something to that effect.

I wonder if there's any way to get through to the guy that he's pretty much out of his gourd?

As for the marketing though, he's done well to keep it alive with only the income of donations for four years. He could probably put this on his resume after he's done ("Led on a bunch of strangers to live out my fantasy on their dime for 8 years") and get a PR or advertising gig at some company.

I was thinking of Stretch and the member that chronicled his efforts from high capper to single digits in one year.  I couldn't find the link to get his username.

Oh yeah ... @johnclayton1982 ???

And @Pretzel too! :-P (I just learned that 2 seconds ago, though)

Oh yeah ... @johnclayton1982 ???

And @Pretzel too!   (I just learned that 2 seconds ago, though)

That's the guy, thanks!

Joe Paradiso

[quote name="newtogolf" url="/t/45853/the-dan-plan-10-000-hours-to-become-a-pro-golfer/1656#post_1050052"]That's the guy, thanks! [/quote] Don't forget about http://thesandtrap.com/t/61175/a-new-golfers-journey-through-the-first-two-months-so-far @bjwestner

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Dan Plan doesn't subsist entirely on donations and income from website, ebook and branded products. He's digging into his savings too. He saved about I forget, but a substantial amount of money to withdraw from. While I could learn a thing or two about marketing from him, he just naturally comes across as a positive, non threatening guy and that's pretty much all you need to do. He didn't seem very charismatic on the talk show, more soft spoken. Most of his followers don't really know that much about golf, based on comments I see in social media, even the ones who play it. It least instruction, deliberate practice wise. Now that's a biased opinion as I'm a bit of an instruction geek. That's what gets me a little. So instead of branching out for new ways to get better, they're just following Dan Plan who just seems to be doing run of the mill stuff to get better other than the putting, chipping only thing. But they're enjoying the ride so who am I to judge? I guess I keep coming back to this thread and others because I rue the lost opportunity to spread better info around. 4 years into his goal and he learns what dynamic loft is just now? I never held him to the PGA Tour goal that's just loco, I accept that's just a way to get eyeballs or naïveté or both.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

http://thedanplan.com/repetitive-learning-traps/

Dan Quote:

To me it felt like I was so far away from my current gamer swing that I didn’t even know if I would be able to hit the ball.  But alas, the picture tells a different, and more accurate, story.

The moral of the story?  No matter how much you might think you are changing something make sure you get appropriate feedback as golf-specific proprioception tends to be misleading without a good visual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevets88 View Post

Most of his followers don't really know that much about golf, based on comments I see in social media, even the ones who play it. It least instruction, deliberate practice wise. Now that's a biased opinion as I'm a bit of an instruction geek. That's what gets me a little. So instead of branching out for new ways to get better, they're just following Dan Plan who just seems to be doing run of the mill stuff to get better other than the putting, chipping only thing. But they're enjoying the ride so who am I to judge?

I guess I keep coming back to this thread and others because I rue the lost opportunity to spread better info around. 4 years into his goal and he learns what dynamic loft is just now? I never held him to the PGA Tour goal that's just loco, I accept that's just a way to get eyeballs or naïveté or both.

Well, he just posted a blog that ACTUALLY discusses the learning process- see the link just below the pic above. His first swing above on the left is his current swing. The other three to the right are (according to him) exaggerated swings to try to do different things- each of the 3 different feels from each other. He writes that they all look very similar, despite being different feels, although the one on the left (his current tourney swing) is definitely flatter. TST could've saved him time learning that "feel ain't real." That seems to be his big insight in the blog post. But read the whole thing, if you wanna see other comments he has about learning/unlearning/relearning. Not a lot of meat, but since we've been harping on him to include SOMETHING about learning, we have to admit that it's something.

• Upvote 1

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

[URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/105250/] [/URL] [URL=http://thedanplan.com/repetitive-learning-traps/]http://thedanplan.com/repetitive-learning-traps/[/URL] Well, he just posted a blog that ACTUALLY discusses the learning process- see the link just below the pic above. His first swing above on the left is his current swing. The other three to the right are (according to him) exaggerated swings to try to do different things- each of the 3 different feels from each other. He writes that they all look very similar, despite being different feels, although the one on the left (his current tourney swing) is definitely flatter. TST could've saved him time learning that "feel ain't real." That seems to be his big insight in the blog post. But read the whole thing, if you wanna see other comments he has about learning/unlearning/relearning. Not a lot of meat, but since we've been harping on him to include SOMETHING about learning, we have to admit that it's something.

Hopefully this will be a big help. Perhaps he should spring for a high fps P&S.; The iPhone is pretty good, but P&S; makes things easier. I wonder why it took so long for him to get this? An instructor should have beat it down on him to use the camera this way. At least the ones I worked with did and I was initially resistant.

Steve

• Administrator
I wonder why it took so long for him to get this?

Good question…

P.S. I don't know who Richard Chen is, but he doesn't appear to know very much about the golf swing. I only read the first two paragraphs of his novel in the comments, though.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Good question…

P.S. I don't know who Richard Chen is, but he doesn't appear to know very much about the golf swing. I only read the first two paragraphs of his novel in the comments, though.

You mean this?

"Stance distance from the ball basically determines whether the swing plane is flat or upright.

By using the rear foot as a measuring stick, the ball is teed about 3 foot lengths from the stance. By comparison, in Woods book, the ball is teed about 2 1/2 foot lengths from the stance."

After reading these two paragraphs, I was seriously wondering if I should spend any more time reading the rest of it or not.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

You mean this?

"Stance distance from the ball basically determines whether the swing plane is flat or upright.

By using the rear foot as a measuring stick, the ball is teed about 3 foot lengths from the stance. By comparison, in Woods book, the ball is teed about 2 1/2 foot lengths from the stance."

After reading these two paragraphs, I was seriously wondering if I should spend any more time reading the rest of it or not.

I wonder what happens if you use the front foot as a measuring stick. How many foot lengths is it then?

I would say that it might be detrimental to your golf swing to read further. I also have read Tiger Woods' golf book, and it says nothing about standing 2 1/2 foot lengths from the ball.

Note: This thread is 2557 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!