IGNORED

Plastic or Wood Tees? Something Else?

Note: This thread is 1428 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

62 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of tees are you using?

• Bristle Tees: Brush T, X-Tee, Rip Tips...
    • Plastic/Composite: Zero Friction, Wedge Tee...
    • Wood
    • Other

I'm somewhat ashamed of myself. After all the years of using wooden tees I've sucumbed to the ravings of my youngers. I've been using low friction tees. Not because they give me more yardage. It's because they don't break.

It's sort of the senior equivlent of early bird specials at Denny's. It's not the money. It's the idea. So, right now, I have more zero friction tees in my posession than I can use in my lifetime. Nevermind they take more care to align perfectly so the damn ball doesn't fall off when you try to tee it up. I'm saving money!!!

Thus, it must be for me the end is near. I've lost my true focus or vision or whatever it was they talked about in "Golf in the Kingdom." So...if I were your age I'd use wooden tees, break 'em and be happy I swung hard enough to do so. Revel in your youth. There are plenty of trees out there.

Jack Waddell
The Sand Trap .com

In My Bag (for now):TaylorMade Burner 9.5 REAX 50 stiffBobby Jones 3W, Fuji TP 26.3 stiffAdams Idea Pro 2, 3, 4 Iron hybrids, Aldila VS Proto stiffAdams Idea Pro Forged 5-PW, TT Black Gold stiffTitleist Vokey 252.08 Tour ChromeTitleist Vokey Spin Milled 58.08...

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
It's sort of the senior equivlent of early bird specials at Denny's. It's not the money. It's the idea. So, right now, I have more zero friction tees in my posession than I can use in my lifetime. Nevermind they take more care to align perfectly so the damn ball doesn't fall off when you try to tee it up. I'm saving money!!!

You've also only got to carry 2-3 tees in your pocket versus the ten or so you might normally need for the easily broken tees. So, the money isn't an issue here - it's comfort and only carrying two tees around.

I use Zero Friction tees. Have ever since I reviewed 'em.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Good ol' wooden tees. I like the long ones to tee up a bit and allow for a slight draw.

Also, anyone ever use the old-school dirt tees? The ones that were like a little pyramid played until the 1920's or so? I always wanted to see what those were like... (I guess I could just build a little mound of dirt and set the ball on it.)

Kind of funny that it was an African-American who invented the tee incarnation we use today, and blacks were banned from several US courses until recently...

History of the tee:

http://www.scottishgolfhistory.net/tee_term.htm
"Hit 'em hard - they'll land somewhere." - Stewart Maiden

In the Bag:

Driver: R480, 10.5*, Graphite5 Wood: R540 XD, 17.5*, GraphiteIrons: Big Bertha 4-10 + GW, SSWedge: 56*, Chrome, SSPutter: White HotBall: HX Hot

Sorry, been away for a bit. I stopped using them because I could never figure out the exact angle to point them to get optimal ball flight. There were too many variables and got too complicated to think about during the round.

Arbitrage, i received some Velocitees for Xmas and thought they were a novelty thing! They are put in at a slant, away from the club, so the driver goes up the tee to the ball! How did u like them? I can't see how u can get a consistent height all the time? I got my Rockettees that i ordered in my original post, but haven't tried them yet (a little thing called Winter got in the way) but they seem like they are very cool. Hollow plastic, so they bend and don't come out of the ground, with a coloured band around the bottom for a consistent tee height. In the spring I'll post how they work...

In my bag:

TaylorMade R7 Superquad - 11.5 deg - Diamana Whiteboard 63-S
Tour Edge Exotics - CB2 16 deg - Diamana Redboard 73-S
Taylormade V-Steel 24 deg - Diamana Redboard 83-STaylorMade R7 XD - 5i-AW Project X 6.552 deg Miura Forged Raw56 deg Fourteen MT-28/56V3 60 deg - Fourteen MT-28/60V2 P...

regular wood tees, regular length. i have too many that i need to use to switch. i would like to try those biodegradeable tees that aron oberholser uses, but as it is i won't have to buy tees ever again in my life time. i just don't break tees that often. i have even resorted to using unbroken tees on par 3's to get rid of them instead of hunting up broken pieces on the tee. come to think of it, i am not sure if i have ever bought tees.

in the bag:
driver-titleist D2 10.5* w/aldila nv shaft
3-adams speedline fast 10 w/aldila shaft
hybrid-titleist 585 17* w/aldila shaft
irons-titleist 735cm w/ttdg s-300 shafts

wedges-cleveland 588, 53* and 60* w/ttdg shafts

putter-scotty circa 62 #1, gun metal finish

ball-pro v1

shoe-dryjoys

i am not sure if i have ever bought tees.

Goodness. That reminds me of my late father. The man never did buy tees. He prided himself on hawking tees left behind by the uncaring. And, yes, even though I use those indestructible zero friction tees, I still scout for broken tees on par 3's.

Speaking to iacas's earlier post... the zero friction tees aren't at all about the money, I was being facetious. It is, as he commented, nice that you only have to carry a couple in your pocket. And that's good... because they've sharp edges that hurt if you carry a bunch.

Jack Waddell
The Sand Trap .com

In My Bag (for now):TaylorMade Burner 9.5 REAX 50 stiffBobby Jones 3W, Fuji TP 26.3 stiffAdams Idea Pro 2, 3, 4 Iron hybrids, Aldila VS Proto stiffAdams Idea Pro Forged 5-PW, TT Black Gold stiffTitleist Vokey 252.08 Tour ChromeTitleist Vokey Spin Milled 58.08...

I'm so anal...I can only use natural color wood tees. I get freaked out if I use a white or any other color tee...take about superstitious!! And never mind that I've got just about a lifetime supply of wood tees...I'm a little "greedy" when I play those high-end courses that give you tees....hee, hee.
On the par 3's I sometimes "bump" up a bit of dirt to use as a tee...instead of searching for broken tees, or using a new tee. I saw Lee Trevino and other seniors do it a couple of times at Nashawtuc...and I'm sure it harkens back to the old days of dirt tees...

Driver: Titleist 905S/9.5/Fujikura Speeder Stiff
3W: Titleist 906FT
Irons: Ping i10/Red dot
Wedges: Cleveland CG12/54/60
Putter: Odyssey XG RossieBall: TaylorMade TP Red

• 2 weeks later...
I was using the brush tees up until recently. They're great right out of the package but after a round, maybe 2, the bristles start to get messed up. They have the special storage tube that helps realign the bristles but its only delaying the inevitable. My driving accuracy falls off the more worn the tee becomes.

At two bucks a pop, it became about the money. I bought a 75 pack of the zero friction tees and haven't looked back. I've played the last 3 rounds with the same tee. My golfing buddies get a little impatient when I can't find the tee but they can wait.
In my bag:
Driver: F-Speed 10.5*
Woods: 3 & 5 Rescue Fairway
Hybrid: HiBore Hybrid 4i
Irons: SS-I 5-PW Wedges: Tour Action Reg. 588: 49*, 53*, 60*Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: Bridgestone e6

I just want to add that if your tees is what you are thinking about and you honestly believe what you use will make you a better player, you are looking in the wrong direction.

I use whatever I can find, and I am one to be superstitious. However, I don't know any good players that have ever been specific in what tees they use. Sure, height can be a determining factor, but all of the hype for the brush-t and so forth only give the average golfer something to spend their money on in hopes at buying a game, not improving it on the range.

My take: Rene Russo in Tin/Cup...she probably had different kinds of tees to go along with all of the silly gear she wanted McAlvoy to teach her how to use
Ping i15 8.5 Stock Stiff
Titleist 906F2 13* w/UST V2 FW 92g X

Titleist AP2 3-GW (KBS Tour)
Cleveland CG14 Black Pearl (56/60)

Titleist Cameron Futura 34" & Titleist ProV1x

I use zero friction tees. Not because I believe they help my game, cause they don't, but because they don't break. I generate a lot of club head speed and I break wooden tees like crazy. I just got tired of always having to go back to my bag and get another tee. With the zero friction I put 2 in my pocket at the beginning of the round and I haven't had to replenish my supply mid round yet.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

totally understandable from that perspective...

I prefer broken tees for iron/3 wood shots of the tee, so, those just don't suit me very well...
Ping i15 8.5 Stock Stiff

totally understandable from that perspective...

I use broken tees for irons and 3 woods as well, but I don't carry the broken ones around. When I come to a hole that doesn't need driver I just search the teebox for a broken tee.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

so thrifty of you...the whole point of this forum topic wasn't to prove your way was right or whatever...Break your tee with your driver on the first hole, then you have a broken one in your pocket the rest of the round...geez

honestly, people with high handicaps think tees make a difference in their games, and I'm here to tell them it's all BS. You ever see a pro walk to the tee and put down a Brush-T because it performs better? I think not...
Ping i15 8.5 Stock Stiff

• 3 weeks later...
I've been using zero friction tees for the past six months. I know it probably doesn't make any quantifiable difference but it's all in my head that I need them.

905R 9.5* | Steelhead Plus 15.5*, 18*
MX-25 3-PW | T-Zoid Pro II 3-PW
Vokey SM TC 60.04
Special SI Anser II

I use the plain old wood ones, and I haven't bought a tee in 20 years. Between what I find on the course and what I receive as gifts, etc., I end each season with more than I had at the start. I also received a 2 pack of the yellow oversize brush tees for Christmas, so I'll give them a go for the driver as soon as the course thaws out.

And to those who never break the zero friction type... I've found any number of them on the course as well, usually with one of the prongs on top broken off. So that aren't indestructable. I think I have 2 or 3 unbroken ones in my bag right now. This spring I have lots of options....

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I use whatever tees I find on the range and course lol. So many rich people out there that they can just leave their tees on the ground. Those are the people I like.
What's In The Bag?

Driver - Rapture 10.5 Epic 68g X-Pure - Balance Certified
Fairway Metal - Titleist PT 18°
Irons - Mizuno MP-67 3-PW Project X 6.0 Wedges - Mizunos R Series Chrome 52°, 56°, 58° Project X 6.0 Putter - Yes! C-Groove Callie-f - Balance Certified Bag - Ping Freestyle...

Zero Friction Tees...Bought a box of fifty last year after reading review here...have only used 3. I still use short wood tees on par 3 though.

In my Grom:
Driver: :nike: Sasquatch 9.5° Graffalloy Shaft-Stiff Flex
FW: :nike: 3 (15°) & 5 (19°) Sasquatch Diamana Shaft-Stiff Flex
Hybrid: :touredge: Tour Edge Exotics Ironwood 21° Adila Shaft-Stiff Flex
Irons: :nike: 4-AW OSS Steel Shaft-Stiff Flex
Wedges: :vokey: Vokey Spin Milled 54 and 60
Putter:  :edel: Basic Series 

Note: This thread is 1428 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!