IGNORED

How conscious are you of you ball position?

Note: This thread is 3188 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The multiple replies clearly indicate that not everybody uses the same ball position. A reasonable constant is that the ball is slightly more forward as clubs get longer. My set-up routine always starts with stance and ball position. Consistent ball striking requires such precision that I do not see how anyone could ignore somthing so important.

ballpos.bmp

My ball position is always roughly 2 inches off my front foot...regardless of club. I feel i'm consistent with my yardages for any given club more often than if i were worried about my ball position all the time while aligning myself. only time i DO change it is when it's on shorter shots from say, 120 yds out in order to help with feel and change trajectories. just my .02

In my Titleist 2014 9.5" Staff bag:

Cobra Bio+ 9* Matrix White Tie X  - Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTAS 80X - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100 - Vokey SM4 55 / Vokey SM5 60* DG TI S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

This is more or less how my ball position is.

8i is dead center for me, 9i and wedges a ball right of center and everything else progressively left half a ball at a time.

I don't vary my stance and I also don't keep the ball x distance from my left foot which I probably should as I flare my front foot which makes it harder to tell how accurately I've positioned my feet.

IMG_0565.JPG

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

For me- I play my 7i dead middle of my stance, as loft increases ball position moves toward the rear, as loft decreases the ball moves up all the way to my driver which is off my left instep. (Obviously depending on shot shape this has to change- but these are where I play stock shots)

This might not work for everyone, but it works for me. I think its important to find the right ball placement that matches your move to the ball, that gives you your desired flight path and is consistently repeatable.

Maybe that's copying Hogan, maybe that's moving the ball forward or back with different clubs, maybe its playing the ball in the same spot- find what works for you, and then TRUST IT.

Late-

In the bag-
Driver- Ping G15 - 9dg Serrano  3 wood- Cleveland Launcher  Hybrid- Cleveland 3i
Irons- Cleveland CG2 4-PW  Wedges- Cleveland CG15 52, 56, 60
Putter- Scotty Cameron Red X2 mid
Ball- Bridgestone 330RXS

It may sound a bit imprecise, but I just waggle up to the ball during the setup.  Physical markers bring it from inner side of nipple to sternum.  I tend to adjust a bit during the round depending on the way it takes off the first few holes, but I just try to keep it simple.  It is very important, but just like anything else in golf, don't overthink it or it can eat you up.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm really glad i saw this thread.  For whatever reason, I thought center or slightly forward of that was "correct" for all non-driver/woods.  Trying to mimic that led to poor results, so i'm really glad to see the hogan diagram and Gioguy21's diagram which is more or less what works for me.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Originally Posted by tshapiro

I think the better you get the more awareness you have and the more meticulous you are with ball position. I would say that I am aware of my ball position within a 1/2 ball for every shot. I would also say that awareness of the orientation of the back of your left hand, especially at impact, goes hand in hand with awareness of ball position.

I think the better you get he more likely it is that there is not a second thought given to ball position, you just feel where it is is the right place.  The only time I adjust ball position is when I need to hit some specialty shot.

Ball position is extremely important, but if you just get your hand position (including wrist cup!) correct at address, the club is designed so that it sits behind the ball.  If your hands are in the same spot, cocked the same way every time, the ball will always be in the same spot relative to your swing center if your turn is also centered.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

I've sometimes wondered how important it is when someone play every club almost from the inside of the left foot, while others play all the irons no more than a ball or two forward of center. I believe there are some timing in every swing, a little flip if you like. If you got a swing with a forward lowpoint, you can play the ball more forward, but you'd probably play just as well with the ball farther back.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

yes, I used to play the balls in the middle of stance and it's so inconsistent. With all my balls 2 inches from left heel, it doesn't require me to think where I need the ball at for all clubs. Also, I can take shallow divots with my set up. As long as my sternum is an inch behind the ball approximately at all times.

ball on the left heel for all clubs. at least thats what i keep in my mind.
Sometimes the ball creeps forward in my long irons anad i tend to thin those or pull them left.

My ball position varies very little when compared to my forward foot.  As the clubs get longer I widen my stance in small increments and gradually become more closed.  During the round I rarely think about it except when I am trying a speciality shot up or down hill, trouble shots etc.  I do check it when practicing or if swing feels good and shape of shots is off.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

• 4 years later...

I havent been very conscious of ball position. I just play where ever it feels comfortable. however to day I had an awesome day with ballstriking off the turf and it occured to me that I prefer to play the ball inside my left foot for almost all my shots and just open and close my stance plus adjust my grip to draw or fade the ball.

The tee ball is very different though, I feel most comfortable when I position my tee ball off my mid pelvis rather than my feet.

I try to.  There are times when the ball slides forward a little to much.

Driver: Cobra Fly Z Plus, Stock Stiff,  10.5
3 Wood: TaylorMade AeroBurner, Stock Stiff, 15.0
3 Hybrid: Nike Vapor Speed, Stock Stiff, 20.0
4 to GW: Mizuno JPX EZ, KBS Tour 120
54: Cleveland Tour Action, Standard Bounce
58: Nike VR Vx3x Grooves, Toe Sweep
Putter: Odyssey Versa
Grips: Golf Pride Tour Wrap 2G
Ball: Titleist NXT Tour

"Golf is not a game of good shots.  It's a game of bad shots." - Ben Hogan

Getting the ball set off the left heel is part of my pre-shot routine but few lies out on the course are perfectly level so I will shuffle the feet around a little bit until i perceive the ball being in the proper spot relative to where I sense my swing will bottom out.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

Note: This thread is 3188 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!