IGNORED

Nickent is back!

Note: This thread is 4123 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

From what I understand, Dick’s has bought and resurrected the the Nickent Golf line. I just got a flyer from Golf Galaxy for a Nickent Demo Day to take place in a couple of weeks. I’ve always liked their Pipe putters and am interested to check out this new version.

pipedream_page_header.jpg

http://www.nickentgolf.net/newweb/index.shtml

Driver: Ping K15 10°, Mitsubishi Diamana Blueboard 63g Stiff
Fairway 4-wood: TaylorMade RocketBallz Tour TP 17.5°, Matrix Ozik TP7HD S shaft

Hybrids: Callaway Diablo Edge 3H-4H, Aldila DVS Stiff
Irons: MIURA PP-9003, Dynamic Gold Superlite S300, Sand Wedge: Scratch 8620 56°
Putter: Nike Method Concept Belly 44"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B330-S

Originally Posted by JerseyThursday

From what I understand, Dick’s has bought and resurrected the the Nickent Golf line. I just got a flyer from Golf Galaxy for a Nickent Demo Day to take place in a couple of weeks. I’ve always liked their Pipe putters and am interested to check out this new version.

King of Hybrids tag on a putter advertisement?

I checked out Golf Galaxy's website and I can't find anything on Nickent......strange.

It's funny that they invested so much money into an adjustable driver, it didn't take off, then they went bankrupt....now most manufacturers are selling adjustable drivers and the market is huge. I would be so pissed if I was a former employee

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Originally Posted by Kieran123

King of Hybrids tag on a putter advertisement?

I checked out Golf Galaxy's website and I can't find anything on Nickent......strange

Maybe that Pipe is a hybrid - you can clip a Swiffer cleaning pad on the bottom.

• Upvote 3

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Maybe that Pipe is a hybrid - you can clip a Swiffer cleaning pad on the bottom.

LOVE STINKS! YEAH! YEAH!

( sorry, but the advertisements drive me mental for those Swiffer things )

"Nickent" as a word printed on the bottom of a club may be back and I think at least their initial line as a Dick's product will probably be pretty decent as they are in possession of some very good designs for club heads. However as soon as they must significantly Innovate from those designs I see this as becoming Just another once great line ruined by a big box store.

The line of Nickent clubs that really started to take off were those designed by the creator of the legendary Tommy Armour 845 Irons. Without John Hoeflich I can see this line being a solid budget rehash of the old blueprints but not much more.

The reason this company went under had more to do with the financial collapse of the banking industry then anything else. Hopefully Dicks's didn't change too much.

nickent.gif4DX Evolver Driver, ping.gif Rapture 3 Wood, taylormade.gif Burner 08 5 Wood, nickent.gif 3DX RC 3-4 & 5DX 5 Hybrid,
nickent.gif 6-PW 3DX Hybrid Irons, cleveland.gif High Bore 09 GW-SW, touredge.gif 60* Wedge, maxfli.gif Revolution Blade Insert Putter

Yes I'm Aware That's 16 Clubs!

Interesting trend with various big box golf and sports retailers snapping up various golf equipment manufacturers (or at least the trademarks, patents, etc). Dicks probably picked up the Nickent stuff pretty cheap.

Alan Olson

Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!
Check out our Facebook page!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by BigAl5150

Interesting trend with various big box golf and sports retailers snapping up various golf equipment manufacturers (or at least the trademarks, patents, etc). Dicks probably picked up the Nickent stuff pretty cheap.

From a retailers perspective its simple math. Company Y makes a putter that costs $35 to make. I want to sell putter X. I pay company Y $75 for putter X i then sell putter X for $100 making a profit of $25 on that item.

Now if i Own company Y then I can sell putter X for $85 and make even more profit while undercutting my competition so that I sell more of putter X.

This is of course assuming that quality stays the same and that of course has been a bad assumption with most of these companies now owned by retailers.

nickent.gif4DX Evolver Driver, ping.gif Rapture 3 Wood, taylormade.gif Burner 08 5 Wood, nickent.gif 3DX RC 3-4 & 5DX 5 Hybrid,
nickent.gif 6-PW 3DX Hybrid Irons, cleveland.gif High Bore 09 GW-SW, touredge.gif 60* Wedge, maxfli.gif Revolution Blade Insert Putter

The new Nickent line, designed by ?????, has its unveiling at Golf Galaxy.  Here's the link:

http://www.golfgalaxy.com/assets/images/_img/pgs/events/docs/nickent_weekend_flyer.pdf

I've been trying to find some new or good quality used 4DX or 5DX hybrids but it looks like they're getting scarce on the net.

Saw,the new nickent irons at Dicks yesterday. Solid look and the brushed nickel finish reminded me of the r9 irons.

Driver: Ping G25

3w - Ping K15

3h - TEE Trilogy

4h - TEE Trilogy

5h - TEE Trilogy

Irons: Ping G25 6-LW

Putter: Odyssey White Ice D.A.R.T
Bag: Nike SQ Tour

Optics: Bushnell Tour V2 Slope

Shoes: True Linkswear

Wish they were still around.  Then I can send my cracked driver head back and get it replaced.  I loved that thing.  Their innovations were definitely a few years ahead of the market.  They just didn't have the marketing power to get it to take off.

I love their ARC Blades.

Want

Now that they're a brand again, maybe I can get rid of my 4dx 2-hybrid and Hyperforged driver on kijiji - win!

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by NuclearMike

The new Nickent line, designed by ?????, has its unveiling at Golf Galaxy.  Here's the link:

http://www.golfgalaxy.com/assets/images/_img/pgs/events/docs/nickent_weekend_flyer.pdf

I've been trying to find some new or good quality used 4DX or 5DX hybrids but it looks like they're getting scarce on the net.

From what I hear, all of their old designers are gone.

My guess? Unless Dicks plans to hire some experienced designers and really market them, Nickent might (sadly) become another department store box-o-clubs type of brand, like Acuity or Walter Hagan (Dicks also owns both of those).

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Gotta get me an avatar!

To find the link on the Golf Galaxy site go to the "In-Store Events" tab.

Unfortunately for me I work in retail (high-end audio and video) and can't get to the demo day.  I guess I'll go by when I can.  I look forward to seeing the new stuff and to see if they still have some old gear that I can get.

Originally Posted by JerseyThursday

That thing looks like it's about two swings from achieving malignant sentience and going straight for your brain stem via the rectum.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Originally Posted by Stretch

That thing looks like it's about two swings from achieving malignant sentience and going straight for your brain stem via the rectum.

Not exactly the right kind of pipe dream

• Upvote 1

I heard a few rumors today one of which I'm not sure I believe but one of which seems kinda logical.

First I heard from a guy who is a fitter at a local golf shop that Nickent was in development of 6DX Driver/Woods and 8DX Hybrids when it went under. He thought there was a good chance dicks just rehashed those designs and slapped on some orange paint. Im not so sure about this, but i kinda hope its true becuase it would mean that at least for their initial year this new Nickent would probably hit and feel a lot like the old Nickent.

Second rumor I heard was that Golf Galaxy is working with Dicks to design and market the club. This one I might believe more and is also one that could be hopeful as Golf Galaxy in my experience doesn't pedal budget entry level type stuff im not sure theyd be willing to stake their reputation on clubs that were not at the very least competitive with other brands.

Originally Posted by jamo

My guess? Unless Dicks plans to hire some experienced designers and really market them, Nickent might (sadly) become another department store box-o-clubs type of brand, like Acuity or Walter Hagan (Dicks also owns both of those).

However, as Dicks already has Walter Hagen as its "entry level" brand, perhaps they are also trying to lock up a "premium" brand to compete at the same price point as the biggies like Taylormade, Callaway, etc...but they would keep the markup & profit in house.  The shafts on the new releases will probably show their intent...i.e. brand-name shafts vs the generic wet noodles on most entry-level clubs.

Hope they keep the Evolver hosel system if there's a 6DX driver....then I could just swap out components if they're a real upgrade!

Driver: Cleveland Classic 270, 10.5*
Fairway Woods: Adams Speedline LP (3 & 5)
Hybrids: Wilson Staff Fybrids 21*, 24*, UST V2 stiff
Irons: Callaway X-20 Tour, 5-PW, Rifle Project-X (flighted) 6.0
Wedges: Cleveland CG15 DSG 52* & 58* +/- 56* Niblick

Putter: Yes! Amy

Note: This thread is 4123 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!