IGNORED

Golf Losing Appeal

DAZinKC
Note: This thread is 4695 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This is one of my favorite parts of playing as a single. I like meeting new people on the golf course. It creates great networking opportunities as well.

Originally Posted by ochmude

They could show up as a single and get lumped in with another group that has an open slot, but the fact is they would rather not golf at all than golf with strangers, so that's exactly what they end up doing.

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by shades9323

This is one of my favorite parts of playing as a single. I like meeting new people on the golf course. It creates great networking opportunities as well.

I've heard a lot of people say that.  It just doesn't work out that way for me.  The two times I got stuck in a group as a single on the first tee it really felt awkward, like I was imposing on their plans.  However, I don't mind joining another single or another group once actually out on the course.  I guess it's because it felt more welcoming since they actually invited me to join them instead of getting forced into their group by the starter.

EDIT:  Also, if I join a group mid-round that means I've already gotten that embarrassing shank off the 1st tee out of the way.  There's no need for anyone to see that, lol.

• Upvote 1

Sasquatch Tour Bag | '09 Burner driver, 10.5* | Speedline F10 3W | Mashie 3H | Viper MS irons, 4-SW | CG15 60* | White Hot XG #7

I used to play as a single alot and liked it.  It never seemed to bother anyone.

But in terms of price, I really don't know of a much cheaper hobby now as the price of everything is going up.  The prices at my local courses hasn't changed but the cost of everything else has.  What else can you do with your friends for 30 bucks for 4 hours of fun?  It cost less than going out to eat or having a couple of drinks with friends.  You need to buy equipment once every 5 years (if that), and if your smart about it you can get a pretty nice bag for under 700 bucks.  Equipment has little influence on score and if you get sucked into needing the latest and greatest and you can afford it great.

The problem is the economy.  Golf is still a great game.  People just don't have money.  I don't right now but for me it is something I love and therefore I play.

• Upvote 1

Brian

I started playing two years ago -- at 38.  I never would have tried it if my neighbor hadn't invited me to play.

The three factors that keep me from playing more -- in order of importance (to me):

1. Time.  It's hard to find 6 hours in my schedule. (I'm talking door-to-door time: travel, arriving early, waiting for the tee, etcetera.)

2. Pace of play.  I love to play in winter when it's about 40F, and there are only a handful of people on the course.  I can get through the local muni in 2:30 on my own (walking).  This makes it extra frustrating when it takes 4:30 (or more) most of the year.

3. $$$.  I play the local muni because I can afford a $20 round three or four times a month (they had $10 Monday deals for about a year - I built my schedule around it - very sad to see that go...).  I'm *not* well-paid (teach at a college), so I can't justify $3-4,000/yr for a membership at a club or $50 green fees.

Originally Posted by Leftygolfer

But in terms of price, I really don't know of a much cheaper hobby now as the price of everything is going up.  The prices at my local courses hasn't changed but the cost of everything else has.  What else can you do with your friends for 30 bucks for 4 hours of fun?

It seems that any activity is going to cost you money these days. I think of my friends with boats that fish or scuba dive. Now talk about expensive.  A 24 foot open fisherman makes my golf look like chump change.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Interesting conversation.  I agree completely that it's pace of play.

Our government sets laws because the population refuses to govern themselves.  People are dumb and/or ignorant and need rules.  Sorry, that's the way it is.

Courses must govern, but can also teach.  It comes down to course management.  I've been fortunate to play numerous courses that understand this.  Starts when you check in and pay- they hand you a short list of rules and course etiquette, as well as a divot repair tool.  Starter then talks to the group.  Any questions on the rules?  Here's how you repair a divot.  We expect you to play ready golf, here's what that means.  What is your handicap?  OK, you WILL be playing from the whites.  Don't lose sight of the group in front of you.  Marshals will be on the course and help govern, if you fall back you will be expected to skip a hole.  Everyone understand?  Have a great day.

GPS on the cart is another way a course speeds pace of play.  Ever play with that guy that finds a marker before every shot and paces off 18 yards to figure out he's at 105?  We all have.  GPS helps avoid that.  And forecaddies are the ultimate insurance that pace of play is maintained.

A good course knows it's in their best interest to put the effort forward.  There are courses that don't want to make the effort, they just want to take the money and shove people out on the course.  These courses are usually cheaper, so it's really your decision in the end if you want to play them.

CARBITE Putter

No, some/many people may be ignorant, but just as many (if not more) are arrogant, narcissistic idiots who think the rules apply to other people, because they're better than everyone else.

The scenario you describe above would have me walking to my car without even paying. After reading (the post) I came away with the impression of 'you are the great unwashed, but we want your money. Do what we tell you, and follow the rest of the herd, you sheeple.'

REALLY glad I live down here, with my miserable 4.25 hour rounds and no marshals...   ;)

In the Bag

Ping i15 8* Diamana Whiteboard

Titleist 909f3 13.5* Aldila NV

Ping S57 3-PW KBS C-taper

Macgregor 52, 56, and 60 wedges

SC Newport 2.5

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Originally Posted by wmiller

No, some/many people may be ignorant, but just as many (if not more) are arrogant, narcissistic idiots who think the rules apply to other people, because they're better than everyone else.

The scenario you describe above would have me walking to my car without even paying. After reading (the post) I came away with the impression of 'you are the great unwashed, but we want your money. Do what we tell you, and follow the rest of the herd, you sheeple.'

REALLY glad I live down here, with my miserable 4.25 hour rounds and no marshals...   ;)

Are you responding to mattt . . . ? That course he described sounds like one to skip.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Yes, I was responding to Mattt's description of people in general, and the course he described specifically. Wasn't directing any of my response at Mattt.

Sorry if it came off that way.

In the Bag

Ping i15 8* Diamana Whiteboard

Titleist 909f3 13.5* Aldila NV

Ping S57 3-PW KBS C-taper

Macgregor 52, 56, and 60 wedges

SC Newport 2.5

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Originally Posted by mattttt25

Interesting conversation.  I agree completely that it's pace of play.

Our government sets laws because the population refuses to govern themselves.  People are dumb and/or ignorant and need rules.  Sorry, that's the way it is.

Courses must govern, but can also teach.  It comes down to course management.  I've been fortunate to play numerous courses that understand this.  Starts when you check in and pay- they hand you a short list of rules and course etiquette, as well as a divot repair tool.  Starter then talks to the group.  Any questions on the rules?  Here's how you repair a divot.  We expect you to play ready golf, here's what that means.  What is your handicap?  OK, you WILL be playing from the whites.  Don't lose sight of the group in front of you.  Marshals will be on the course and help govern, if you fall back you will be expected to skip a hole.  Everyone understand?  Have a great day.

GPS on the cart is another way a course speeds pace of play.  Ever play with that guy that finds a marker before every shot and paces off 18 yards to figure out he's at 105?  We all have.  GPS helps avoid that.  And forecaddies are the ultimate insurance that pace of play is maintained.

A good course knows it's in their best interest to put the effort forward.  There are courses that don't want to make the effort, they just want to take the money and shove people out on the course.  These courses are usually cheaper, so it's really your decision in the end if you want to play them.

That is part of what makes the game so intimidating to some people.  I know I would not like to play at that course.

interesting read..all 4 pages...great comments,and all said with passion. the way it should be. golf will never rise to the golden years of a decade or 2 ago..as the world changes, so does everything in it. some good, some not so good.. golf is expensive due to maintenance/upkeep/overhead...you wanna course with lush fairways, and near-perfecty greens..yer gonna shell out the cash. I understand that, and will play those as frequent as money allows. they make for a better experience. My buddy and I went to the local club where I hadn't heard of the rules change of "collered shirts only"..it was new,and I had no problem shelling out the $$ for one off their sales rack. I mustr honor their policies..many others would have went home, but I wanted to play....the course was ...nearly empty at 11;40 in the morning mid-week...not a sole withing sight on the course... we did get caught up on nearing the end, but it was a beautiful relaxing day..except for the score..

money is the main issue in everything...from the cost of equiptment, range costs,green fees, travel expenses,food/beverages....the time is the small part for me, but I remember when it was a big issue, and a very valid one. without time and $$ to invest, our goals are limited, but not our love for the game which drives everyone who addresses a small white ball on a tee...we'll find the time, and we'll find the money, even if it means hitting the cow - field courses.. if we start saying who should and who shouldn't be playing on the course in the group ahead of us, then we're building the same barriers that took many years, and many golfers to tear down..maybe they aren't aware of course etiquette, it took me a long time, and many embarrsing moments to mill-piece it together... golf clubs aren't sold with that information, and many beginners have to pick it up the hard way..why is that??? it shouldn't be...slow play sure does stink, but his money has the same dead president on it that mine/yours do...yes, I agree thats' no excuse for apathetical attitudes from those golfers, and that's exactly where kind words spoken about the rules concerning looking for lost balls,etc are necessary..and why the position of Marshall was created, I'm sure..... could it possibly be that we're all a bit less patient these days????? I know I find that in me more times than I wanna admit...

Having grown up walking the course (and still do, even in summertime Florida) it amazes me that people still think that carts speed up play.  I don't know how many times my group, all walkers, will wait behind a foursome of cart riders. What we observer:  While one guy gets his club from the cart to hit his ball, the other three sit in their carts.  When the first shot is hit, everyone then rides to the next ball where another guy gets his club while the other three sit and wait.  And so on and so on until everyone finally reaches the green.  Then, three guys stand around while one guy lines up his putt.  After he finally putts (usually misses), only then does one of the other guys move to his ball and start to line up his putt. Makes you want to scream.

For this reason alone, our group of four walkers can usually leave a foursome of cart riders in our dust. We move to our individual balls, and are ready to hit when it's our turn.  On the green, everyone studies their putts while the first guy lines his up and makes his stroke.

You don't have to observe "ready" golf.  Just move to your ball and be ready to hit when it's your turn, assuming you aren't in another player's way. If only this part of golf etiquette was observed, that would be the end of 5 hour rounds, no matter the skill level of the players. And maybe more people would not have to fear the dreaded 5-6 hour round.

• Upvote 1

you would be surprised how you can speed play by a few simple no nonsense things.

1.  One person that holes out first go to the next hole to tee off.

2.  Watch each other's ball and locate where it lands.  4 sets of eyes are certainly better than my nearsighted arse.

3.  If you're gambling, make sure if you hit OB hit a provisional just to be sure.

4.  No conference golf.  Go to your ball and hit.  Ready golf.

5.  If driving a cart make sure you drop off your buddy first and then either walk to your ball with club in hand if your shot is further ahead or at least have your buddy drop you off and have him advance the cart.

And little stuff like that... each thing you do like that saves minutes off a hole... And those minutes add up.  Easier said than done for sure but with a little effort anything is possible. It just takes one golfer in that group to get everyone going.

The simple recurring theme is ready golf.  And shaving minutes from each hole will add up into ... most likely an hour saved.  It just takes one golfer in the group to keep this going .. the others will follow suit if anything .... just to keep up.

Vic aka Ringworld aka Community Director at Greenskeeper.org aka All Around Nice Guy.

• Administrator

Originally Posted by deasy55

I have a severe dislike to anyone that uses a golf cart when they have no medical problems. Makes me angry

Get over it. Some courses aren't built with greens and tees close enough to make walking feasible, and people who know how to play in carts can play faster than people walking.

I prefer to walk, too, but sometimes I ride. Sometimes because I'm forced to, sometimes because I want to play 18 holes with a buddy in under two hours (without rushing). :-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Two decent players with an open course can really fly, especially if they're playing "cart golf". Even if my partner and I've sprayed our drives into trouble on opposite sides of the hole, I just tell him to take the cart and I take a small sampling of clubs and hoof it (hy, 5i, 8i, SW). I don't like golfing in a cart any more though, because I never seem to get paired with a decent player, or even a bad player with common sense.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by iacas

Get over it. Some courses aren't built with greens and tees close enough to make walking feasible, and people who know how to play in carts can play faster than people walking.

I prefer to walk, too, but sometimes I ride. Sometimes because I'm forced to, sometimes because I want to play 18 holes with a buddy in under two hours (without rushing). :-)

+1.  If I walked my course(super hilly and very spread out) my knees would stop working after 9 holes.  Anyway, I can play super fast in a cart..I always beat my regular partners to our next shot(they walk) and have already hit by the time they even get near and ready to hit their ball.  Walkers are faster than carts only when the guys in carts aren't able to hit many, if any, good shots and spend a lot of time driving short distances and/or looking for balls in odd places.

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

Note: This thread is 4695 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!