IGNORED

2011 U.S. Open

mcfc_nick
Note: This thread is 4712 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Zwick

Perhaps he will win one (like Michael Campbell for example ;)), but he will not be a dominant figure if he throws away a ~7 shot lead. Nicklaus has never lost such a lead at a major.

But like I said, I don't think he will lose this Open.

Comparing him to Michael Campbell is ridiculous. Arnold Palmer lost a 6 shot lead with 6 holes to play at the US Open in 1966. Also, Tom Watson had a huge reputation in the early few years of his career for not being able to close out tournaments . They have won 15 majors between them. Rory will be fine.

Not a done deal yet.  It wouldn't be too surprising if he shoots 3 or 4 over pars tomorrow, then his lead could become much smaller.  Anyway, amazing performances from Rory so far.

that final hole right then is the reason that i love AK!

Cobra S2 Driver
Nike SQ 3 Wood
Nike Sumo SQ 3 Hybrid
Callaway X-16 Irons 3-PW
Nike Victory Red 56 and 60 WedgesScotty Cameron Newport 1.5 Putter

I'm sorry if this has already been mentioned (I didn't read this entire thread) but does the USGA seem incredibly racist to anyone else?

They seem to be grouping by ethnicity/nationality, such as the Spanish group of Jimenez, Garcia, and Quiros.

And the USGA paired Ishikawa, Y.E. Yang, and... Anthony Kim? AK is American, born in the U.S. and raised there. Seem racist at all?

Originally Posted by eryic

I'm sorry if this has already been mentioned (I didn't read this entire thread) but does the USGA seem incredibly racist to anyone else?

They seem to be grouping by ethnicity/nationality, such as the Spanish group of Jimenez, Garcia, and Quiros.

And the USGA paired Ishikawa, Y.E. Yang, and... Anthony Kim? AK is American, born in the U.S. and raised there. Seem racist at all?

I wouldn't say racist as such....more like stupid and ridiculously simple minded

Originally Posted by deasy55

I wouldn't say racist as such....more like stupid and ridiculously simple minded

Stupid and simple minded indeed haha. Seems like such a dumb thing from the USGA.

I'm not sure what the Tiger thing at the start has to do with it, but I tend to agree with the rest. No reason why this couldn't have been posted in the US Open thread though rather than making a new one

• Administrator

They always have fun with the pairings. Former Masters champs played together, too. They'll play games with people's last names - Brian Gay, Gregory Havret, and Thomas Levet (all "-ay" last names) played together. They've made "dickhead pairings" of three people nobody likes in the past.

It's fun and light-hearted. If anything, it might give some players advantages - playing with your brother might be a good situation for the Molinari pair, for example.

Lighten up, people. :-P

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by deasy55

Both were aiming to the right side of the green and both pulled (pushed for phil) it left. I don't see how one was unlucky and the other was agressive. Both aimed to get it in the same general area and both turned it too much.

Rory was not aiming that far right maybe on tv it looked like it but I can say for certain he didn't miss his line by much. He just hit it bad and it came up way short but he was definitely trying to get back to the pin. Mickelson was unlucky because his ball could have easily kicked the other way and rolled back there. To be honest if I was Rory on 18 and I was hitting the ball that well there would be no reason to not try to get after it. Plus it's still his to lose so I don't know that it will matter much in the end.

Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

Originally Posted by iacas

They always have fun with the pairings. Former Masters champs played together, too. They'll play games with people's last names - Brian Gay, Gregory Havret, and Thomas Levet (all "-ay" last names) played together. They've made "dickhead pairings" of three people nobody likes in the past.

It's fun and light-hearted. If anything, it might give some players advantages - playing with your brother might be a good situation for the Molinari pair, for example.

Does that mean Rory, Phil, and Dustin were the major meltdown pairing?

• Upvote 3

You're right; Phil was "unlucky" but Rory "felt invincible" even though their end result was the same.

I wonder who you're supporting...

If you watch the post-match interview with Rory he even says it was a little more left than he wanted it to be as he aimed at the front right of the green but got a bit of grass between the club and ball and it turned over more than he wanted; it wasn't a "gamble" or him feeling "invincible".

Phil had no choice, he had to hit between trees. Rory aimed at a pin tucked behind watery from a long way away when he has an alternative option available. It's obvious, one played the shot they had, the other chose a difficult shot. [edi]It was a gamble, he was hitting from the rough, and going for a tight shot like that from that kind of lie is definitely somewhat of a gamble. I'm not saying Rory was dumb, but both players had the same result. One was forced into it, the other took a risk.[/edit]

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

Did anyone catch Butch Harmon on the first day knocking S&T;? Saying 'hits it' Baddeley is now hitting it better than he was with S&T; and that S&T; was not a well accepted method of how to hit the ball?

Kinda ironic how his pupil Phil Mickelson was hitting it into Jumanji, and Dustin Johnson wasn't playing that well either.

Driver: Taylormade R11 set to 8*
3 Wood: R9 15* Motore Stiff
Hybrid: 19° 909 H Voodoo
Irons: 4-PW AP2 Project X 5.5
52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Putter: Odyssey XG #7

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

• Administrator

Originally Posted by michaeljames92

Did anyone catch Butch Harmon on the first day knocking S&T;? Saying 'hits it' Baddeley is now hitting it better than he was with S&T; and that S&T; was not a well accepted method of how to hit the ball?

Kinda ironic how his pupil Phil Mickelson was hitting it into Jumanji, and Dustin Johnson wasn't playing that well either.

I'm still waiting for one of Butch's students to actually show some changes in their swings. He never seems to actually change anything. Phil's swing is virtually identical to what it's always looked like.

And this Aaron Baddeley MCed at the U.S. Open. The S&T; Baddeley led after three rounds. :-) (Disclaimer: everyone on Tour is talented, and Aaron and others could win swinging 20 different ways.)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I agree.  People need to lighten up and not get too caught up in trying to find a conspiracy where there is none.

But back to the topic...

What did AK do on the last hole?  I missed it.

Originally Posted by iacas

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Anyone else catch some of the post round interviews? It seems as if even some of the pros (Snedeker, Garcia, etc) are writing themselves off already. At least that's how I interpreted it. I know that what Rory's doing is amazing and record breaking, but the players could at least act like they feel they have a chance.

l Bag l TaylorMade Stand Bag

l Driver l TaylorMade '07 Burner 9.5* l 3-Wood l Titleist 910F 15* (D1 shaft setting)

l Hybrids l TaylorMade '07 Burner 19* : TaylorMade '10 Rescue 22*

l Irons l TaylorMade r7 5-PW l Wedges l Titleist Bob Vokey 52* 56* 60*

l Putter l Scotty Cameron California Del Mar 34" l Balls l TaylorMade Penta TP

What a performance.  I'd love for there to be a "true" number one and not just a statistical number one.  That was the greatest display of ball striking I think I've seen in a long time.  I really hope he has a tiger performance on the weekend and gets it done with style.  I'm a big red white and blue fan but also a huge golf fan as well.  I want someone to take over the game and play so much better than anyone else.  It is fun to see super human golf.

Brian

That (and a few other pairings) definitely stuck out to me.  I believe that it is not racist but is simply the USGA consciously trying to have themed pairings... in some cases, yes, by race.  Racist would be if they made all of the Asian golfers tee off last every day or didn't allow them the same amenities as the other players.  This just seems... gimmicky?

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Note: This thread is 4712 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!