IGNORED

2011 U.S. Open

mcfc_nick
Note: This thread is 4711 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I think Rory started it on a right side line, just overcooked it and, you know, they go left.  I really hope he keeps it up and bags this one.  He brings his game so well to the majors, it's time for him to put it all together.

Truthfully, I totally forgot about him before seeing him start yesterday.  I feel like he kind of fades into the background in between the majors and then busts it out on the big stages.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by imtomtomim

I feel like he kind of fades into the background in between the majors and then busts it out on the big stages.

That is exactly why he needs to win :D

:whistle:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

18 was an interesting hole. Phil's rescue attempt was as good as could've been done. He couldn't have hit that shot any better, that was just an unlucky break. Three yards to the right and he would've run it up onto the green. McIlroy, on the other hand, took a gamble. Maybe he felt invincible, but that was definitely a gamble, and one that didn't pay off. Other than that, he had quite a bit of brilliant play. The approach on 17 was just picture perfect.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

Originally Posted by B-Con

18 was an interesting hole. Phil's rescue attempt was as good as could've been done. He couldn't have hit that shot any better, that was just an unlucky. A couple yards to the right and he would've run it up onto the green.

McIlroy, on the other hand, took a gamble. Maybe he felt invincible, but that was definitely a gamble. One that didn't pay off. Other than that, He had quite a bit of brilliant play. The approach on 17 was just picture perfect.

You're right; Phil was "unlucky" but Rory "felt invincible" even though their end result was the same.

I wonder who you're supporting...

If you watch the post-match interview with Rory he even says it was a little more left than he wanted it to be as he aimed at the front right of the green but got a bit of grass between the club and ball and it turned over more than he wanted; it wasn't a "gamble" or him feeling "invincible".

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

Come on Rory!  Lookin' so good.  Lookin' so fine.  Watch out Rory!  They're right behind you!

(Thumbs up if you can spot the reference)

That kid has some magical talent.  Really, really pulling for him to close this one out and shut-up the naysayers.  I think he's going to get it done this time.

• Upvote 1

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

And phil didn't take a gamble by hitting a low slicing shot through a small gap? Phil's shot was much more gamble shot IMO.

Quote:

18 was an interesting hole. Phil's rescue attempt was as good as could've been done. He couldn't have hit that shot any better, that was just an unlucky break. Three yards to the right and he would've run it up onto the green.

McIlroy, on the other hand, took a gamble. Maybe he felt invincible, but that was definitely a gamble, and one that didn't pay off. Other than that, he had quite a bit of brilliant play. The approach on 17 was just picture perfect.

Donald on the comeback trail. Back to 1 over with 3 birdies in 4 holes. Just 12 behind now

No need for that smirk. Luke's up to even par now, and that usually is in contention at the Open. He's putting himself in position to take advantage if Rory comes back to the field.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Originally Posted by Chilli Dipper

Quote:

Originally Posted by deasy55

Donald on the comeback trail. Back to 1 over with 3 birdies in 4 holes. Just 12 behind now

No need for that smirk. Luke's up to even par now, and that usually is in contention at the Open. He's putting himself in position to take advantage if Rory comes back to the field.

What do you mean 'No need for that smirk'? I was doing a because I find it unbelievable that 1 over (he's now level par) is 12 back? Jeez lousie.......

If Rory doesn't win this time, he will never win a major.

But I think he will win it, the way he played the last two days was just magical.

Although don't forget what happend to Toms at Colonial, he had a similar lead after the second round and it all was gone after the third. And at the US Open that can happen even faster.

Jumping the gun a bit aren't we? He is barely 22 afterall. And this is far from over.

Originally Posted by Zwick

But I think he will win it, the way he played the last two days was just magical.

Although don't forget what happend to Toms at Colonial, he had a similar lead after the second round and it all was gone after the third. And at the US Open that can happen even faster.

lol. Nicklaus was 46 when he won in '86. McIlroy therefore has 24 years to win a major at age 22 (the same as Nicklaus I believe)

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

Originally Posted by deasy55

And phil didn't take a gamble by hitting a low slicing shot through a small gap? Phil's shot was much more gamble shot IMO.

Quote:

I didn't have a great view but Phils shot didn't actually look that difficult he just over cooked it a little. Rory on the hand took a really aggressive line and didn't catch it clean. I would say Rory took more of gamble since he is leading and didn't need to hit it on that line.

Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

Both were aiming to the right side of the green and both pulled (pushed for phil) it left. I don't see how one was unlucky and the other was agressive. Both aimed to get it in the same general area and both turned it too much.

Originally Posted by clubchamp

I didn't have a great view but Phils shot didn't actually look that difficult he just over cooked it a little. Rory on the hand took a really aggressive line and didn't catch it clean. I would say Rory took more of gamble since he is leading and didn't need to hit it on that line.

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by MiniBlueDragon

lol. Nicklaus was 46 when he won in '86. McIlroy therefore has 24 years to win a major at age 22 (the same as Nicklaus I believe)

Perhaps he will win one (like Michael Campbell for example ;)), but he will not be a dominant figure if he throws away a ~7 shot lead. Nicklaus has never lost such a lead at a major.

But like I said, I don't think he will lose this Open.

I don't want to say that it's over yet because we all know Rory's history at majors, but this tournament really looks like it's here for the taking if he wants it. He really needs to have some sort of major melt down to lose this thing. I want him to win, but not going to lie, it takes away some of the interest for me personally if on Sunday he's 12 shots ahead of the field.

l Bag l TaylorMade Stand Bag

l Driver l TaylorMade '07 Burner 9.5* l 3-Wood l Titleist 910F 15* (D1 shaft setting)

l Hybrids l TaylorMade '07 Burner 19* : TaylorMade '10 Rescue 22*

l Irons l TaylorMade r7 5-PW l Wedges l Titleist Bob Vokey 52* 56* 60*

l Putter l Scotty Cameron California Del Mar 34" l Balls l TaylorMade Penta TP

Perhaps he will win one (like Michael Campbell for example ;)), but he will not be a dominant figure if he throws away a ~7 shot lead. Nicklaus has never lost such a lead at a major.

But like I said, I don't think he will lose this Open.

I'm not sure to be honest. We see a lot of golfers (of which Rory is one!) who take a fantastic lead and then lose, whether it's because their game falls apart and they throw their lead away or because another player out-plays them and takes the lead from them. In either event it doesn't mean they'll never win again, especially with players like McIlroy who have such a long career left ahead of them.

I think even Nicklaus himself said to McIlroy that he's "expecting big things of him"

SWING DNA

Note: This thread is 4711 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!