IGNORED

The 1 most inportant tip you can give

Juancd75
Note: This thread is 6291 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

No i didnt get fit for my clubs. I had originally purchased regular flex shaft based on the fact i never really played and thought the was the "norm" for a beginner. I actually got a good deal on a set of graphite shaft regular flex clubs but 3 lessons in, the instructor said that based on my swing, i needed stiff. she said i swung with a lot of force and was too strong for the regular flex. Those were her words. so i sold that set and got my current set (in my signature). I just dont feel comfortable. It makes no sense to me. if i swing with force and lots of strength (which is why she suggested stiff shafts), why should i slow down my swing? at that point wouldnt i need to switch back to regular flex?

I'm not suggesting that you slow down your swing; I'm saying mine is slow, hence regular flex. But if you were to slow down, then yeah, you'd probably need regular again.

Ironic, since I keep hearing that most amateurs have shafts that are too stiff for their swing speed.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hey shin, i know what your syaing. dont get me wrong, im not saying your telling me to slow down, but the same instructor that told me to get stiff is telling me to slow down. i just dont get it. like i said, im not the smartest guyy around but i do have some sort of coomon sense, and this.... just doesnt make sense. again, she is the pro so i tend to believe what she tells me. but not to seem redundant.... im not comfortable.

In My Callaway Golf Bag:

Driver: BB 454 8* Aldila nv65s
Fairway Wood: 3&5 Sport Stiff
Hybrid: Nicklaus 21* Himax4- PW: GT2 Tightlies StiffSW: 588 GunLW: 588 GunPutter: OZ T100Bite Men's Golf AC II Golf Shoe Top Flite ballGrey Goose Mini's

I found that instead of trying to kill the ball like I used used, a nice smooth swing with light grip pressure actually lead me to hitting the ball further. The reason was my grip pressure made me release the club way too early, robbing me of speed. Although I have never seen your swing, it sounds like you are in the same boat. And if that's the case, the stiff flex should suit you just fine.

Maybe your instructor means "slow down" as in Ernie Els tempo.

Slow from the start of the downswing building to fast at impact - not the opposite.

J.P.

Bridgestone J33 10.5* Fujikura Rombax w
Bridgestone J33 15* Fujikura Zcom tw74
Tour Edge XCG 18* 3 hybrid Mizuno MP30 4-PW DG S300Vokey SM 52 bent 51Vokey Spin Milled 56 & 60Cameron Newport BchBridgestone B330s

I definately have A HUGE problem when it comes to grip and swinging nice and easy. I usually perform my customary "death grip" where all my veins are popping out of my forearms and then proceed to want to annihilate the ball with my swing.

SEE??!!! That's why this was the one "most important" tip. Not that all the others aren't important, but you can get by with a lot of other faults just by gripping softly and swinging smoothly.

the same instructor that told me to get stiff is telling me to slow down. i just dont get it. like i said, im not the smartest guyy around but i do have some sort of coomon sense, and this.... just doesnt make sense.

You're right. It doesn't make any sense unless a slower, smoother swing would

still put you into the stiff flex category. But it sure sounds to me (and you've already confirmed it once yourself) that a regular shaft might benefit you -- IF you can find the self-discipline to smooth things out. Not only will you probably not lose distance you might even gain some. I swing a regular shaft. Everytime I overswing, I am not allowing the stored energy of the bowed shaft to fully release its power at impact. When I slow it down and think smooth, the ball almost always travels much farther than I think it should based on the amount of force it felt like I put into it. This is one of the most satisfying feelings in golf right along with hitting the ball squarely on the sweet spot of the clubface. Squish! Then, of course, the "rational" mind takes over and says, "Heck, I didn't even do anything. Wonder what would happen if I let it all out?" Another thing to consider is that there is quite a bit of variability in the categories of regular and stiff. For example, the regular Aldila NV shaft in my 3-wood feels a lot softer than the Graffaloy Pro Launch regular shafts I have swung. So don't just blindly opt for regular or stiff. If you can't get on a launch monitor (or even if you can) try several different manufactuer's versions of regular and stiff. You may be surprised.
A Mixed Bag

Driver 320Ti, 10.5 R, stock graphite
Ovation 3W, Aldila 65R graphite
Dunlop DDH 5W Edge CFT Hybrid 3-iron, #3 graphite CFT irons 4 - E wedge, #3 graphite Apex Edge F wedge 60 degree LW Bobby Grace M5K putter Laddie X A3

[QUOTE=LarryK;40022]

Then, of course, the "rational" mind takes over and says, "Heck, I didn't even do anything. Wonder what would happen if I let it all out?" :naughty

I know exactly what you mean. That happens to me too. LOL

In My Callaway Golf Bag:

Hybrid: Nicklaus 21* Himax4- PW: GT2 Tightlies StiffSW: 588 GunLW: 588 GunPutter: OZ T100Bite Men's Golf AC II Golf Shoe Top Flite ballGrey Goose Mini's

One tip?..... Wait for it. Meaning don't get in a hurry from the top, trying to throw the club head at the ball. The ball's just sitting there, not going anywhere.

Most people, in trying to "slow down" actually swing waaay too slow going back and therefore don't get fully wound up. This actually causes them to begin the downswing even faster since they subconsciously want to create power at the bottom.

Ernie is great to watch, but that's his tempo. Yours may be a little slower or a little faster. But his is faster than what you think; it's his good mechanics that make his swing look so fluid. Next time you watch him, time his swing. You will find that from address to the end of his follow-through, it takes about 2 seconds.

In the bag

Driver 905R, 9.5 Aldila NV65S
3 Wood 960 F2, 13.0 Aldila NV65S
5 Wood 975F, 18.5 Proforce 65SHybrid 503H, 22 deg. DG â S3004 â PW 735 CM, DG â S300SW Volkey 256.10, DG â S300LW Volkey 260.4, DG â S300Putter Scotty Cameron Studio Design 5 Ball Pro-V1x or Pro-V1...

Actually as someone on the forum suggested, i will try out another set i have and meet with another instructor and see what they suggest. Can't hurt. That way i eliminate all doubt.

J

In My Callaway Golf Bag:

Once you get out onto the course dont try to change anything, just play. Tinkering is to be done on the practise ground. If you are playin with a slice just aim further left and play with it.

It will be more damaging if you change your swing on the course it may help but then next time you get onto the practise ground oyu have no confidence i what you are doing. If oyu carry on playing with the bad swing then you know what you have to practise on.

Like Tiger said after a tournament win, "the other player hit it into the water and i had been struggling with a hook all day so i knew that i just had to hit the green. With water left and a little right to left breeze i aimed at least 30 yards left to make sure i didnt go in the water even allowing for the hook i was struggling with. I hit the shot and the hook was back, although as i allowed for it the ball finished 6 feet away. I didnt try to change my swing as then i would not know where the ball would end up so just played on."
Golf is a game whose aim is to hit a very small ball into an even smaller hole, with weapons singularly ill-designed for the purpose.
Winston Churchill

Taylor Made r7 425
Taylor Made V steel 3woodCleveland Halo 2hybridCallaway Big Bertha 4-9Taylor Made 48 & 56Taylor Made Tp 52Odyssey XG 2ball...

Positive thinking and positive reiforcement!

Remember.... good things happen always when you feel good!!!

In My Bag:
Driver:
Nike SasQuatch 460 9.5 deg - Fujikura Prototype X
3 Wood:
Orlimar Trimetal Plus 14 deg - Fujikura Prototype XIrons: Titleist 735CM (3-PW) - TT DG 300SWedges: Titleist Vokey 50 & 54 & 60Putter: Scotty Cameron Laguna Oil Can - Custom Shop Restored to Pro...

Tough one cause there are millions, mine would be Don't try to kill the ball....Work on tempo
Driver-Taylor Made R7 460cc 10.5* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Fairway Wood-Taylor Made R7 Draw 15* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Hybrid Taylor Made 19* Rescue Mid Steel Stiff
4-PW-Golfsmith G40 TT Lite XL Stiff
GW-Ben Hogan Riviera 8* Bounce 50*SW-Ben Hogan Riviera Medium Bounce 56*LW-Cleveland 60* 588 ChromePutter-Taylo...

Maybe your instructor means "slow down" as in Ernie Els tempo.

I agree, my advice is to take more club and ease into a nice tempo.

When I'm overdoing it and trying to kill it, I try to think of Els' tempo. It's not how fast or hard you hit it, it's more about how clean you catch it.
T-Bone Marshall
Home Course: www.waldenponds.com (74.1/134) 7001 yds
in my bag
Driver: Big Ben cs3 10.5 Stiff/Draw set up
Fairway: Hogan Edge 3,5 metal:Irons: Hogan Radial-Apex shaftWedge: Hogan "Tom Kite" 56* Radial "E" wedgePutter: Affinity vr7 "V-Rod" pro-v1x ball2 markers, Disney divot tool,...

Well, i tried slowing my swing down and tried to make clean contact instead of trying to kill the ball. amazing results. my instructor told me not to get caught up with trying to hit it harder. He did say i was swinging way too hard and had to slow way down also that a regular flex for now would be fine but that i would outgrow it pretty soon. he told me the train of thought should be instead of "imagine how much further it would go if it hit it faster.... it should be, imagine how much further if i hit slower and cleanly."
He did mention the fact im adhd is also a big obstacle. Im always at 500 mph. LOL!

In My Callaway Golf Bag:

He did mention the fact im adhd is also a big obstacle. Im always at 500 mph. LOL!

LOL no dyslexia, just ADHD...

I hear ya there bro... I had a steady diet of Ritalin and who knows what when I was young.

Dual Point 10.5 Stiff Driver
Dual Point 3 Wood
NPS-1 Irons
Dual Slot 52, 56, 60 Wedges
Newport 2

Actually, I read something about this recently... thank goodness I bookmarked it :)

"I am the poster child for Attention Deficit Disorder. In the CBS broadcast booth I'm constantly thumbing through magazines while we're on the air. But golf is the perfect sport for someone with ADD. You only need to concentrate for a few minutes at a time, as Lee Trevino proved." - Gary McCord Meanwhile, I've long suspected I'm ADD or ADHD, but I've never been tested.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

LOL. im probably lexic too for all i know. I get pretty bad sometimes. I get up, sit down, get up again, walk around, sit down. drives me nuts. I cant keep still. and when i say im going 500 mph, i MEAN im at 500 mph. I can sleep 4 hours and get up like i have had 10 cups of coffee. my wife hates it. she loves to sleep.
the way i see it is, golf will either help it, or push me over the edge!! LOL

In My Callaway Golf Bag:

Note: This thread is 6291 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!