IGNORED

New Groove Rule

Jeepthrills
Note: This thread is 4970 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Regarding the new groove rule on irons and wedges, do officials really check each player bag before the tournament ? In this case, the professionals tournament.
Whats in my Golf Bag:
Driver: Nike Sumo 5000
5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001
Iron: Mizuno MX-950 5-PW
Wedge: Cobra FP 60 degrePutter: Odyssey 2-BallBall: Yellow balls

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding the new groove rule on irons and wedges, do officials really check each player bag before the tournament ? In this case, the professionals tournament.

I doubt it, but since the markings are different on the ones with the new grooves, somebody would eventually notice it.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If not one of the other players in his group will for sure.
In my bag:

Driver: FT-5, 9° stiff
Wood: Big Bertha 3W/5W
Irons: X-20 TourWedges: X Tour 52°/56°Hybrids: Idea Pro 2/3/4Putter: Black Series #2Ball: NXT Extreme/NXT Tour

If not one of the other players in his group will for sure.

Probably after a few instances of a ball checking up more than expected from the point of view of a direct competitor.

In my SasQuatch carry bag.
909D2 9.5* (Aldila Voodo Shaft)
FT 3W 15* (Fujikura E370 Shaft Stiff Flex)
FT Hybrid 21* Nuetral (Fujikura Fit On M Hybrid Stiff Flex)
FT Hybrid 24* Nuetral (Fujikura Fit On M Hybrid Stiff Flex)Irons: X22 Tour 5 thru PW (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300) 2* upright (also...

they aren't constantly checked unless someone calls the club(s) into question or a player themself feels they need to check the club. Theres a list just like conforming drivers and balls.

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

I was reading that the old balta ball would stick to the club face and create more spinthan the balls we play today. What if titliest or bridgestone made a new ball that would duplicate the old square grooves advantage. Would the "powers to be" declare it illegal?

I was reading that the old balta ball would stick to the club face and create more spinthan the balls we play today. What if titliest or bridgestone made a new ball that would duplicate the old square grooves advantage. Would the "powers to be" declare it illegal?

No because even balata balls didn't spin on shots from the rough, and that's all the groove rule is intended to address. Balls still spin just fine from a fairway lie, regardless of the grooves. They even spin from a club with no grooves at all when hit from a clean lie. Square grooves give no significant advantage unless you are playing a full shot from the rough.

Rick

No because even balata balls didn't spin on shots from the rough, and that's all the groove rule is intended to address. Balls still spin just fine from a fairway lie, regardless of the grooves. They even spin from a club with no grooves at all when hit from a clean lie. Square grooves give no significant advantage unless you are playing a full shot from the rough.

Great post!

Ive found no difference from the fairways with the new grouve rule, from the rough it's much harder. But no new ball tec is going to make the bif difference then the old groves made from the rough. And yes I have old grouve wedges and new goruve wedges. Ball tec imo is almost as good as it's going to go get.

Driver: 909D3 8.5* Diamana White Board X
3 Wood: MP 630 15* GRAFALLOY PROLAUNCH RED X
Hybrid: 909H 19* "Real" VooDoo X
3 - P: MP-68 KBS Tour Black Nickel X
56* 10 Wedge Vr60* 06 Wedge: VrPutter: Custom Made.Golf Ball: TOUR B330SI am the greatest, I said that even before I knew I was....

Ball tec imo is almost as good as it's going to go get.

No way you're even close. Reminds me of the quote from the head of the US patent office in the early 1900's that everything has already been invented and there is little future growth. Science will continue to bedazzle with new materials development, mathmatical modeling, and manufacturing methods....the only limits on ball technology will be those imposed by governing bodies.

No way you're even close. Reminds me of the quote from the head of the US patent office in the early 1900's that everything has already been invented and there is little future growth. Science will continue to bedazzle with new materials development, mathmatical modeling, and manufacturing methods....the only limits on ball technology will be those imposed by governing bodies.

Well that is what I ment, they wont let ball tec get any better. I mean with the rules in place now that can't really do that much with it.

Driver: 909D3 8.5* Diamana White Board X
3 Wood: MP 630 15* GRAFALLOY PROLAUNCH RED X
Hybrid: 909H 19* "Real" VooDoo X
3 - P: MP-68 KBS Tour Black Nickel X
56* 10 Wedge Vr60* 06 Wedge: VrPutter: Custom Made.Golf Ball: TOUR B330SI am the greatest, I said that even before I knew I was....

Ive heard that companies like Nike are going to create a softer ball with more spin for their pros to compensate for the new groove rule. Stuart Cink was talking about it with Nike in an interview.

That's silly, because the only time that the new grooves affect play is on shots from the rough. A softer ball isn't going to change that. They could go back to balata and they wouldn't get more spin out of the rough, because that is an effect of the grass getting between the ball and clubface. With shots from the fairway a pro shouldn't have any trouble at all spinning the ball as much as he wants. I certainly don't have any trouble spinning the ball (with my AP-2 irons and a cheap TM Burner ball), and I don't profess to be nearly as good a ball striker as even the lowliest pro. Most pros have more trouble minimizing spin than they do applying it.

Rick

According to Pelz in Golf Magazine, the Tour Stats don't show much difference between old grooves and new; he attributed this to the Pro's having time to practice with the new wedges. He states that amatuers will be more impacted because they hit more wedges into greens than Tour players and will have less time to practice with them.

Joe Paradiso

So its alot harder now to get new wedges with the old grooves. Golf stores are now only able to order most wedges with the new grooves. This is because golf manufacturs have come out with new 2011 models that meet the new grooves rule which makes it impossible to order the previous ones being made. So the question is how do you guys feel about having to buy conforming wedges soon and when do you think you will pick some up?

So its alot harder now to get new wedges with the old grooves. Golf stores are now only able to order most wedges with the new grooves. This is because golf manufacturs have come out with new 2011 models that meet the new grooves rule which makes it impossible to order the previous ones being made. So the question is how do you guys feel about having to buy conforming wedges soon and when do you think you will pick some up?

how do i feel about buying new groove wedges? its a non factor for me. all my wedges are old groove but my friend recently bought a set of new groove Vokey's and having hit them both side by side, I really couldn't notice a hugeeee signicant difference. I was able to get my balls to check just as well with the new grooves. I've actually heard people say its more effected from the rough, whcih i haven't tested out but from the fairway with good lie, both work perfectly fine for me.

good ball contact is much more improtant than the size of the grooves... so i don't think you should make it a big deal.

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

I've actually heard people say its more effected from the rough, whcih i haven't tested out but from the fairway with good lie, both work perfectly fine for me.

It's pretty much only affected from the rough.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

yea most people say from their experience its only affected out of the rough but how do you feel about picking one up to replace your current wedges? Will you look for wedges with the old grooves? If you had to replace your wedges right now, would you buy conforming?

Note: This thread is 4970 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!