IGNORED

The Golf Channel Amateur Tour

Want2PlayMore
Note: This thread is 3339 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Has anyone heard anything about it or even better, played in it? I've been searching around their website and it seems like they have a lot of different tournaments in so many regions. However, does anyone know how legit it is? I just feel like with all the different handicap ranges it can turn into one big outing. Opinions from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

l Bag l TaylorMade Stand Bag

l Driver l TaylorMade '07 Burner 9.5* l 3-Wood l Titleist 910F 15* (D1 shaft setting)

l Hybrids l TaylorMade '07 Burner 19* : TaylorMade '10 Rescue 22*

l Irons l TaylorMade r7 5-PW l Wedges l Titleist Bob Vokey 52* 56* 60*

l Putter l Scotty Cameron California Del Mar 34" l Balls l TaylorMade Penta TP

i talked to the director of the NJ region with questions and he was very approachable and up front. i had doubts about joining but after talking to him i'm looking to join up next week (christmas hurt the piggy bank thanks to a water heater blowin christmas eve...yaaaay). if you have any questions at all, i'd suggest getting ahold of your local area/region director, they're excellent people.

In my Titleist 2014 9.5" Staff bag:

Cobra Bio+ 9* Matrix White Tie X  - Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTAS 80X - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100 - Vokey SM4 55 / Vokey SM5 60* DG TI S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

I have played on the GC AmTour for 4 years and it has been one of the best experiences of my life.  It was my first experience playing "real" competitive golf (I did not play in high school or college), and I cannot say enough good things about it.  The tour seems to have gotten bettre each year (for example, there were "sandbaggers" in the first year that I played, but the Golf Channel has gradually fixed that problem with the use of a "Tour Index" - which is based upon how you actually score in the "Tour" events.

Admittedly, you pay more to play in the event than you would normally pay play at the same course - but that covers prizes, range balls, and the cost of putting on a tournament.  One of the unexpected benefits has been that playing tournament golf has forced me to really improve my game - which is what we are all after, I believe.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Some events have post-round correction factors for golfers who get  unusually good only at tournament time. In city tournaments down in Oklahoma, if you scored within two or three strokes of the day's medalist in the next lower flight, they moved you down for the rest of the week.

Related: Has anyone played in Michelob Ultra Tour events? A couple of years ago there were two or three a month in the St. Louis area. Didn't hear anything about it this season.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I just signed up for the AM Tour yesterday, the NJ 'local' one...however i'm going to be playing in some Philly region tourneys as well. If anyone would like to 'friend' me on there, just click on the link in my sig for my profile page. do we have any members for the am tour on here? if we do, could we get a tally? (ie chime in, write a reply with possibly your link and your local tour)? it'd be cool to get an idea of who's on it so if we had questions we could pm them, etc. Anyone?

Cobra Bio+ 9* Matrix White Tie X  - Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTAS 80X - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100 - Vokey SM4 55 / Vokey SM5 60* DG TI S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

Simply for interest's sake, would anyone care to give a brief tale of their experience in an event like this? As a golfer who loses a dozen balls per round, it'd be nice to take a scenic ride through a good player's mind during a competitive round.

This is a cool concept. I'd been thinking that it would be neat if there were a local, flighted, gross-score tour. Didn't know one actually existed. Looks like the number of active people in the flights isn't a lot, though. Only about 7 active players in my flight for my locality last year.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

Erik,
is it possible to move this thread over to Golf Talk as this isn't a 'club,grips,shafts,fitting' topic? (perhaps it may get more views, interest)

Another less costly option is the golfWEEK amateur tour. Same concept, competitive golf at nice courses with good people. I'll be joining them this year, but I've been playing similar amateur tours for about 4 years now, and they are a lot of fun! An older poster here mentioned how much beer he could buy instead of the entry fee, obviously tournament golf isn't for him. But if you enjoy being competitive and like having some pressure, it's really a fun time. There's flights for every handicap too, so that's no excuse. Trust me, tournament golf is much harder, but it will make you much better. There's a great feeling of nerves and excitement on that first tee that you just don't get with the casual round with your buddies.

Just signed up and am now part of the Long Island, NY local tour. Really excited for this summer!

l Bag l TaylorMade Stand Bag

l Driver l TaylorMade '07 Burner 9.5* l 3-Wood l Titleist 910F 15* (D1 shaft setting)

l Hybrids l TaylorMade '07 Burner 19* : TaylorMade '10 Rescue 22*

l Irons l TaylorMade r7 5-PW l Wedges l Titleist Bob Vokey 52* 56* 60*

l Putter l Scotty Cameron California Del Mar 34" l Balls l TaylorMade Penta TP

Good Luck...one piece of advice...be honest when you give the Tour Director your handicap.... Most people's "Tournament Index" ( your average score / index in Tournament golf) is higher than what they report as their GHIN.  I think the pressure of Tournament golf gets to all of us...

Good Luck...one piece of advice...be honest when you give the Tour Director your handicap.... Most people's "Tournament Index" ( your average score / index in Tournament golf) is higher than what they report as their GHIN.  I think the pressure of Tournament golf gets to all of us...

Seriously. I was looking at stats for the players in my local tour. It looked like the actual "Tournament Index" for half players in my bracket was actually in the bracket above.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

I would really love to this, but as twilight municipal course kind of guy, it would blow my golf budget out of the water.  The cost of one tournament is about what I spend playing four times a month.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Originally Posted by B-Con

Quote:

Originally Posted by BushwoodCC

Seriously. I was looking at stats for the players in my local tour. It looked like the actual "Tournament Index" for half players in my bracket was actually in the bracket above.

It's extremely common to shoot above your handicap in tournaments. Lord knows I've done it. That's tournament golf for ya.

The "Am Tour" as the people here locally call it seems to have some great benefits to it, but i'm sure it has drawbacks too, just like every other amateur tour that has been created. In either case, there are 6 different 'flights' based on handicaps (0-3.9, 4-7.9, 8-11.9, 12-15.9, 16-19.9, 20+). You play 'gross' within the flight you are placed into.

I would say the courses that you play are above average courses, but the best part is that you get to play in an event similar to what the top amateur golfers and top professionals get to experience. There is a starter, rules officials and a scoring system/point system that enables you to qualify for Nationals (PGA West/TPC Sawgrass).

Good people, but I think the hardest part of the Am Tour is the attempt to cater to ALL golfers. Let's be honest, there is a reason that a majority of people play with a similar group each time they play - it's because they all know each other's habits, leeway in rules and enjoy their company. The Am Tour in a sense forces you out of your comfort level by playing with people you dont know, having to play by the rules of the game and putt everything out, take every penalty, etc.

I was previously a competitive golfer in the sense that I thought I was a scratch golfer - I then played the Am Tour and learned I wasn't a scratch golfer...but the Am Tour sure did help me in the sense that i was able to improve my way to be a scratch golfer. Now that i've 'proved' myself on that level, i've moved up to play more state amateur events and hopefully the US Amateur someday.

i can't wait...i'm itchin to be playin this year. after swing changes and range balls 5x a week i'm dyin for warmer weather.

Note: This thread is 3339 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!