IGNORED

[Balls] Bang for the buck?

Note: This thread is 4630 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I *really* like the NXT Tour. It's 90% of the V1 feel for about 50% of the price. I give up a touch of the feel around the green (wedges, chipping) but feels a tad bit better off the putter to me and is slightly longer and straighter off the tee. Easy compromise, and they're much cheaper than V1s.

Gamer V2 price isn't very good at all.  I usually see them at Sports Authority for $14.99 for 12 or $17.99 for 15.  I like the NXT Tours, but I buy them from lostgolfballs.com.  Works out much cheaper than new and the AAAA or AAAAA balls are in great condition

Originally Posted by aschroeger

For the most part yes, in quantity.

D2 Plus Feel 15‐Ball I can get for $16.75/dz.

Gamer V2 $15.75/dz

Not a great discount but the markup in balls is very low to begin with.  Pricing includes one logo up to 5‐colors.. See my avatar for an example

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

What is your swing speed?

If < 85mph, the Noodle Easy Distance is a good option.  Golf Digest has them rated as having the highest spin out of a 2 piece ball.

I finally broke in the 80's for the first time this year on 3 occassions.  All played with a different ball.  85 (Bridgestone e6), 89 (Srixon Trispeed Tour), 82 (Noodle Easy Distance).

The e6's are straight but they do lack spin on approach shots.  The Trispeeds and Noodles seem to have equal spin for me.

I don't generated much spin however since I swing slower (82mph with driver).  That is why I never bother with Tour level balls, I know I won't compress them to get the benefit.

Driver: Ping G25

3w - Ping K15

3h - TEE Trilogy

4h - TEE Trilogy

5h - TEE Trilogy

Irons: Ping G25 6-LW

Putter: Odyssey White Ice D.A.R.T
Bag: Nike SQ Tour

Optics: Bushnell Tour V2 Slope

Shoes: True Linkswear

I started out with Nike PD soft. I switched to pro v1 for the feel off the putter, but hate losing such an expensive ball! So today I picked up a doz Gamer v2s to try out during my round tomorrow. I heard a lot of good things here about them so I figure I'll give them a shot

In my  2.0 Lite bag:

Driver:  Superfast 10.5* stiff flex

3 Wood:  Superfast 2.0

4-SW: SQ Machspeed

GW:  52.08

Putter:  Rossa Daytona

I am also a fan of the Srixon AD333.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-SRIXON-GOLF-2008-AD333-GOLF-BALLS-3-DOZEN-/380355760660?pt=US_Golf_Balls&hash;=item588ef85214#ht_2714wt_1398

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Srixon-AD333-Golf-Balls-2-Dozen-24-99-/150634029294?pt=US_Golf_Balls&hash;=item23127ce0ee#ht_500wt_1180

I was using Bridgestone B330-S for a while but like most said, I didn't like watching it sail OB to never be seen again. So recently switched to Srixon Tri-Speed Tour and I really like them. I went to go buy another box at Sports Authority but the didn't carry them, but they did have a sale on Nike Tour & Tour D, two dozen for $50. Well to make a already long story shorter, I really like the Srixons and will most likely go back after the Nike's are gone.

I-Mix FT-9 9* 906 F2 3WD  15*

Idea Pro Black 20*  MX-300 4-GW

VR 56* & 60* Wedges  White Ice Tour Sabertooth 34"

Ozone Black Pinstripe  FJ Street 

I typically use Pro Vs but when I have been on a budget in the past, or i'm having trouble keeping balls in play, I've always like to buy a dozen Pinnacle Exceptions.

Typically you wouldn't think of a Pinnacle as a good ball for feel, and I think for that reason they aren't that popular, but the Exception is definitely the exception for pinnacles. I always felt it was a close second to a Pro V and not quite so expensive.

I remember one time I was in the pro shop buying a dozen of them, my know it all golf coach asked me what the hell I was doing buying pinnacles that I needed to get Pro Vs, and it was awesome my club pro told him off that exceptions are pretty good balls.

On second thought though I haven't seen these in a while... anyone know if they still make them?

:whistle:

Originally Posted by sean_miller

If you believe the latest Titleist ProV1 propaganda marketing campaign, you don't really need a ball fitting because the Pro V1 (or is it V49 by now?) is the perfect ball for everyone. I'm not kidding. That's in their actual ads right now.

And if you are a guy that bases your ball on green back to tee they are not wrong.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Originally Posted by meenman

And if you are a guy that bases your ball on green back to tee they are not wrong.

They're right for you that's for sure.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

i highly recommend Bridgestone E5's, i started playign this ball last month and its been amazing

TM RBZ Stage 2 9.5* Kuro Kage Silver 60s
TM V-Steel 13* 3w
Callaway BB Heavenwood 3H 20*
Cobra S2 Forged Irons
Callaway Forged Copper Wedges 52*-58*
Oddysey White hot #1

What good is the ball around the green if you can't find it in the woods?

Originally Posted by shades9323

What good is the ball around the green if you can't find it in the woods?

That would be true, and a guy who is always searching for a ball in the woods should probably be more concerned with what club he is teeing off with rather than which ball to play.

Follow me on twitter

I would surmise that your short game(and overall game) would be better with a less spinney ball.

That would be true, and a guy who is always searching for a ball in the woods should probably be more concerned with what club he is teeing off with rather than which ball to play.

To the original poster, I generally bounce between TItleist NXT Tour's and Bridgestone e5's.  Both are obviously lower in price than the tour balls while providing enough spin around the greens that pitch shots will check.

What's in the Bag:
Driver: Taylormade SLDR 12*
3-wood: Taylormade Burner 15*
Hybrid: Taylormade Burner 19*
Irons: Callaway XR

Wedges: Vokey 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Newport Studio

Originally Posted by shades9323

I would surmise that your short game(and overall game) would be better with a less spinney ball.

I would surmise that you are wrong. I have tried many other balls and none feel the same on/around the green. If I lost my putting my handicap would be back at where I was last year. If I see a fade on the range, I will play the V1x over the V1.

I am a short hitter and rarely hit a ball OB. If I had to critique my game, I would say that I lack focus and dont always play the safe shot. Good drive = poor approach, bad drive = solid hole the rest of the way.

Last team tournament I was paired with a couple of single digit handicappers - with them keeping me in line, my game greatly improved for a day. They say I need to find a new normal group to play with, since they think me playing with higher handicap players hurts my game. Unlike others, I would prefer to play with friends and enjoy a casual round.

Follow me on twitter

I would surmise that you are wrong. I have tried many other balls and none feel the same on/around the green. If I lost my putting my handicap would be back at where I was last year. If I see a fade on the range, I will play the V1x over the V1.

I am a short hitter and rarely hit a ball OB. If I had to critique my game, I would say that I lack focus and dont always play the safe shot. Good drive = poor approach, bad drive = solid hole the rest of the way.

Last team tournament I was paired with a couple of single digit handicappers - with them keeping me in line, my game greatly improved for a day. They say I need to find a new normal group to play with, since they think me playing with higher handicap players hurts my game. Unlike others, I would prefer to play with friends and enjoy a casual round.

Playing with high handicapper hurts everyone's game, so you're not unique there. You're also not the only short hitter who plays a Pro V1. Most of the short knockers at my club swear by the Pro V1 because of the way it feels around the green. They're usually able to stop their 4th or 5th shot on a dime!!

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Playing with high handicapper hurts everyone's game, so you're not unique there. You're also not the only short hitter who plays a Pro V1. Most of the short knockers at my club swear by the Pro V1 because of the way it feels around the green. They're usually able to stop their 4th or 5th shot on a dime!!

but until i reach your skill level 18 bogeys = a happy 90

Follow me on twitter

Note: This thread is 4630 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!