IGNORED

Solheim Cup

kmarkham
Note: This thread is 4593 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The Solheim Cup will be taking place here in Ireland in a few weeks' time, at the Jack Nicklaus designed Killeen Castle. There's a big advertising campaign to promote the event (which is not easy since there are no Irish on the European team), but I was wondering what kind of fuss was being made of it in the USA?

Will anyone be watching it? Will it entice you to come and play the course or visit Ireland?

Photos of the course are here:

In the U.S, there isn't much of a fuss for the LPGA, which is too bad.

Personally, I don't think the Solheim Cup is going to get people to come to Ireland to golf. Your courses already do a great job of drawing people.

Alan Olson

Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!
Check out our Facebook page!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by BigAl5150

Personally, I don't think the Solheim Cup is going to get people to come to Ireland to golf. Your courses already do a great job of drawing people.

This and the exposure McDowell, McIlroy, and Clarke has brought lately will do more for promoting golf tourism in Ireland than the Solheim Cup in my opinion. Gotta say the emerald isle is sure on one heck of a roll lately.

I will watch it, but I agree with the earlier comment by biga15150 that it isn't a big deal in the US like the Ryder cup.  It is too bad because the ladies are pretty competitive and put on a good show.

Butch

I'll be checking it out. Those girls can play.

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

Originally Posted by BigAl5150

Hi BigAI5150,

I'm male and have played golf for 25 years. The Solheim Cup is a huge deal to most golf enthusiasts. I'm travelling accross the pond to Ireland to attend. It's very much a golf holiday that involves playing and viewing the game. Looking at the accommodation on offer especially the house rentals,, the Irish seem to think it will attract golfers from all around the world.

I love the Solheim cup - and the players (being ladies) sometimes make it even more an enjoyable watch than the Ryder Cup.

Actually I am more likely to watch this than regular PGA golf. The drama and player intensity of this type of event attract me. Much like preferring college football to pro football, the drama and event matter as much as the skill level of the participants.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

Originally Posted by 400yrds

Hi BigAI5150,

I'm male and have played golf for 25 years. The Solheim Cup is a huge deal to most golf enthusiasts. I'm travelling accross the pond to Ireland to attend. It's very much a golf holiday that involves playing and viewing the game. Looking at the accommodation on offer especially the house rentals,, the Irish seem to think it will attract golfers from all around the world.

I love the Solheim cup - and the players (being ladies) sometimes make it even more an enjoyable watch than the Ryder Cup.

Originally Posted by allin

Actually I am more likely to watch this than regular PGA golf. The drama and player intensity of this type of event attract me. Much like preferring college football to pro football, the drama and event matter as much as the skill level of the participants.

I totally agree Allin. I think the Solheim doesn't get enough exposure prior to its broadcast

Hi BigAI5150,

I'm male and have played golf for 25 years. The Solheim Cup is a huge deal to most golf enthusiasts. I'm travelling accross the pond to Ireland to attend. It's very much a golf holiday that involves playing and viewing the game. Looking at the accommodation on offer especially the house rentals,, the Irish seem to think it will attract golfers from all around the world.

Good to know we have one USA fan coming over. With no Irish player on the team, tickets that are still regarded as pricey, and a certain apathy towards women's golf there's a fear that the crowds for the event won't be big. Ireland has been making a big deal of it - having won the right to host the event in 2006 at a course that hadn't even been built! - so I hope it stacks up to the occasion and, as you put it, attracts golfers from all around the world.

400yrds - are you taking 'advantage of' any of the house rentals on offer? People round here seem to think that they'll get the same (ludicrous) prices that they got for renting out places during the Ryder Cup. There will be plenty of good hotel offers about.

• 3 weeks later...

This is the first ladies golf I've decided to watch and it's really quite bizarre. There are so many differences that you'd expect but others that seem to be just weird. For example:

- Ribbons in their hair and painted faces.

- Messing around on the tee box with things like an American football.

- When missing putts and conceding a hole, they seem to find it necessary to pick up the ball, walk back to where they putted from, put the ball back down and putt it again. Could be because they read it wrong and want to learn for next time they're on the green or could be a flaw in their technique they want to avoid on the next hole but it's still strange behaviour when it's on every hole. It's not too far off those players at the local course who come up with an excuse every time they're shot isn't good.

- Tee shots that don't go off perfectly and they pull such a face, even if it's still landing on the fairway.

- Huge cheers when the ball lands on the green, even if it lands 30ft from the pin and rolls off onto the fringe.

Don't get me wrong; the golf itself is still good to watch, it's just all the rest that I find strange.

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

Watched a few hours of it today. Didn't think the standard of play was that great.. but perhaps they just weren't performing their best when I was watching. It may seem obvious, but some of those girls are really short. I think I saw a drive or two land around 205/210 yards out. I assumed they'd all be knocking it out there around 240 at least. Maybe conditions had a lot to do with it, I don't know. Short game and putting were amazing though.

Oh yeah, Christina Kim is really annoying.

A great shot is when you go for it and pull it off. A smart shot is when you don't have the guts to try it. ~ Phil Mickelson.

• Administrator

Originally Posted by deasy55

Well done Europe

Rules are rules, but I bet Kerr feels horrible.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hi BigAI5150,

HAHAHA - no, but seriously no, no is sure isn't.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I watched a lot of the Solheim Cup from day 1.  I enjoyed it.  Congrats to team Europe are in order, although I do believe w/ a healthy Kerr there would have been a different outcome.

That said.  This and the Ryder Cup were both affected pretty heavily w/ the conditions.  It was no surprise.  I can't imagine the players enjoy playing in that and I do believe it takes away from the competition when players have to deal w/ the cold, rainy, windy and wet conditions.

How about we start playing these events on neutral ground?  Australia anyone?  Middle East?

Watching that kind of golf played over there gets old real quick.

TM R11/Titleist 910F 15*/ Nike SQ2 20* & 23*/ Nike CCi 5-PW/ Nike SV 52* & 56*/ SC Newport 2 Studio Style 32.5"
Nike 20XIx/Pro V1x

Note: This thread is 4593 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!