IGNORED

Why Understanding the Ball Flight Laws is Important

iacas
Note: This thread is 4565 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

To me the ball flight laws are like a sat nav versus a passenger who thinks they know the route.

Sure you could screw around driving up and down roads, listening to your misguided passenger, doubling-back and going on a very inefficient route and you'd likely still make it there fine, if a little late but with a sat nav you're given the correct information to guide you to your destination in the most efficient way possible.

The question you need to ask yourself is whether you're happy to bumble along not knowing the correct physics for ball flight and probably/possibly improve your swing or whether you want to get as good as you can, as quick as you can.

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

Originally Posted by MiniBlueDragon

To me the ball flight laws are like a sat nav versus a passenger who thinks they know the route.

Sure you could screw around driving up and down roads, listening to your misguided passenger, doubling-back and going on a very inefficient route and you'd likely still make it there fine, if a little late but with a sat nav you're given the correct information to guide you to your destination in the most efficient way possible.

The question you need to ask yourself is whether you're happy to bumble along not knowing the correct physics for ball flight and probably/possibly improve your swing or whether you want to get as good as you can, as quick as you can.

That depends...lol   The last time I used a GPS navigation going to Florida on vacation, it had me going through neighborhoods, back roads, etc....took me an extra hour to get there from my normal route.  Not to mention it couldn't even find the condos address.  Anyway, that's my GPS rant...HAHA.  Good analogy though

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by TN94z

That depends...lol   The last time I used a GPS navigation going to Florida on vacation, it had me going through neighborhoods, back roads, etc....took me an extra hour to get there from my normal route.  Not to mention it couldn't even find the condos address.  Anyway, that's my GPS rant...HAHA.  Good analogy though

I concur on both points. I've received a few phone calls from lost people who chosen to use GPS (or Google Maps) directions over the ones I sent them. Anyway, yeah, accurate directions are a must.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

@GraemeMcDowall gets into the tweet stream:

http://twitter.com/#!/search?q=%23chambleegate

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Here's the worst part in my opinion.

I received a FB message from a coach in Philadelphia saying she lost an up and coming junior player because his dad thought she was giving him the wrong information on ball flight cause and effect because of that episode.

He told her Brandel said it was this way so we are going to find an instructor that knows the truth.

Can you believe that?

I would be so pissed. I can't even imagine.

JG

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

Chambleegate! Love it!!!

#occupy golf channel

It's amazing, the guy disagrees with basic physics.  Knowing the ball flight laws is maybe the second most important thing next to hitting the ball first in terms of playing good golf.  I hear too many times on TV when a player pull hooks a shot that they came "over it".  That kind of information has driven good players out of the game.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Originally Posted by John Graham

Here's the worst part in my opinion.

I received a FB message from a coach in Philadelphia saying she lost an up and coming junior player because his dad thought she was giving him the wrong information on ball flight cause and effect because of that episode.

He told her Brandel said it was this way so we are going to find an instructor that knows the truth.

Can you believe that?

I would be so pissed. I can't even imagine.

JG

That crazy and like Erik said, Brandel's given a platform to teach, people are going to believe him since he's on tv and perceived as an expert.

Hopefully one day we look back at this and have a big laugh.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

The problem is, everyone keeps saying you can hit a fade with a closed face. We know that it means closed to the target, but open to the path. However, I think a few people are getting confused about this, and think that they are saying 'closed to the path'. Well that's my take anyway.

Driver: Taylormade R11 set to 8*
3 Wood: R9 15* Motore Stiff
Hybrid: 19° 909 H Voodoo
Irons: 4-PW AP2 Project X 5.5
52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Putter: Odyssey XG #7

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

I may have also said that (about 100 times).

Originally Posted by michaeljames92

The problem is, everyone keeps saying you can hit a fade with a closed face. We know that it means closed to the target, but open to the path. However, I think a few people are getting confused about this, and think that they are saying 'closed to the path'. Well that's my take anyway.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Well, the word closed tends to be incorrectly used by a lot of people .... If in set-up the face is pointing left it is regarded as closed ... no path involved, hence one can play a fade with a closed face .. no discussion about it.

I would prefer to redefine however and use left and right for target-linked direction and closed/open in path relationship ...

Still doesn't mean Brandle is right, he is wrong, stubborn, childish and lying .. I wish he would man up

Titleist AP2 KBS, Vokey Spinmilled, Ping G2, Odessey backstrike

Originally Posted by luu5

Who is Graeme McDowall?

Not the guy who nevets88 thinks, nor is he a Major winner :)

Titleist AP2 KBS, Vokey Spinmilled, Ping G2, Odessey backstrike

Originally Posted by MacBooky

Not the guy who nevets88 thinks, nor is he a Major winner :)

Too quick on the draw there.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator

I know I've consciously tried to say things like "left of the target" and "right of the target" now for the clubface, or when I say "closed" or "open" to make damn sure I say it like "open to the target but closed to the path" or something.

Brandel blocked me on Twitter before I'd really even said anything to him. What this tells me is that he's not on Twitter to engage - he's on purely for PR purposes. It's unfortunate because I think he'd earn fans if he engaged.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

Quote:

I know I've consciously tried to say things like "left of the target" and "right of the target" now for the clubface, or when I say "closed" or "open" to make damn sure I say it like "open to the target but closed to the path" or something.

Brandel blocked me on Twitter before I'd really even said anything to him. What this tells me is that he's not on Twitter to engage - he's on purely for PR purposes. It's unfortunate because I think he'd earn fans if he engaged.

He blocked you?? What a joke. I've lost a lot of respect with Chamblee with that information.

Constantine

• Administrator

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

He blocked you?? What a joke. I've lost a lot of respect with Chamblee with that information.

After my first tweet on the subject, I noticed it. I didn't even start the conversation. I joined it mid-stream as others saw my video.

I don't care if you have the wrong information. Well, I care, but I can still respect you. If you want to block people who are politely engaging you in a conversation, though, then you lose my respect.

Screen Shot 2011-10-26 at 4.59.37 pm.PNG

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

It's pretty much in the hands of Martin Hall, Paul Goydos, and Stan Utley to set him straight now. He'll likely only listen to his friends on this issue, if anyone. I'm very disappointed in him. I was naive to think this would be the catalyst to set him straight. So far, we've only heard the correct ball flight laws once on the golf channel I think: Breed a couple years ago on the Golf Fix. But then didn't Breed give the wrong ball flight laws like a year later on that show?

At any rate, I was really hoping this would be the straw that broke the camels back for Brandel. His stubbornness is truly impressive.

But of course, that doesn't mean we should just stop trying!

Constantine

Note: This thread is 4565 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!