IGNORED

Why Understanding the Ball Flight Laws is Important

iacas
Note: This thread is 4577 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

Now if you ask a pro or a scratch golfer that same question, so many of them give you the wrong answer. Weird, right?

That's because it has been hammered into us since we picked up a club. At least that's been my experience. Unfortunately, I never stopped to think about it until I read somewhere (possibly this website) it was the other way around. That was the beginning of 2010 and I've been playing golf since 1988! I remember reading it 10 times and thinking NO, NO, NO, they've got it the wrong way around! It was only when I investigated a little further that I realised I had wrong. It is the reason why I am glued to this website and changing my swing to S&T.;

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." – Winston Churchill

Well, just the concept should help people not hit a tree straight infront of them next time ;b

Also it knowing will help analyze your swing the right way as well. I like S&T;, but i wont give up my own swing for something that doesn't feel right to me, i got to find my own intermediate zone between S&T; and me..

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It has taken me almost two years to give it a proper go, so I haven't gone easily but my swing has felt so awful for such a long time that I have no problem dumping it for good! I know this sounds corny, but I really need a swing evolution.

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." – Winston Churchill

Originally Posted by saevel25

I like S&T;, but i wont give up my own swing for something that doesn't feel right to me, i got to find my own intermediate zone between S&T; and me..

Nice, I finally get to use this icon :

Constantine

Well, just the concept should help people not hit a tree straight infront of them next time ;b Also it knowing will help analyze your swing the right way as well. I like S&T;, but i wont give up my own swing for something that doesn't feel right to me, i got to find my own intermediate zone between S&T; and me..

Yep. The good thing about the ball flight laws is that it applies to every swing out there, not just S&T;, like some people believe.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Originally Posted by Zeph

Yep. The good thing about the ball flight laws is that it applies to every swing out there, not just S&T;, like some people believe.

Some people actually believe that? LOL Like the ball knows what swing method is being used to hit it.

- Joel

TM M3 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s | Bridgestone Tour B XS

Home Courses - Willow Run & Bakker Crossing

Thought of this thread today when a former pro came to our club to do a clinic/trick shot show outside the bar after our annual members' "classic". Really nice guy with a great swing and just an unbelievable ball striker. Hit perfect high draws back up the 18th fairway right handed, then left handed, then left handed with a right handed club, then right handed with a left handed club. Could have covered them all with a blanket.

The one and only bad shot in the entire demo was when he got to the bit about shaping it. "Point your feet where you want it to start, point your club face where you want it to finish. I'm going to hit it right to left now." Massive pull hook into the car park.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

• Administrator

Originally Posted by Stretch

The one and only bad shot in the entire demo was when he got to the bit about shaping it. "Point your feet where you want it to start, point your club face where you want it to finish. I'm going to hit it right to left now." Massive pull hook into the car park.

Heh heh.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I trust you set him straight?! ;-)

Originally Posted by The_Pharaoh

I trust you set him straight?! ;-)

Not my job. He hits it better than I'll ever dream of, anyway, when he's not busy demonstrating what he doesn't actually do.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Originally Posted by Zeph

Actually I think you'll find that the laws of the universe are personal to each and every one of us.

I for example don't believe in gravity and to prove my assertion above I am going to jump out of the windooooowwwww....

• Upvote 2

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

Originally Posted by MiniBlueDragon

Actually I think you'll find that the laws of the universe are personal to each and every one of us.

I for example don't believe in gravity and to prove my assertion above I am going to jump out of the windooooowwwww....

"If profanity had any influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be played far better than it is." -- Horace Hutchinson, 1886.

Stretch.

"If profanity had any influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be played far better than it is." -- Horace Hutchinson, 1886.

Love that quote, never heard that one before.

- Joel

TM M3 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s | Bridgestone Tour B XS

Home Courses - Willow Run & Bakker Crossing

Originally Posted by iacas

Heh heh.

I remember iacas when you corrected me on the "more incorrect stuff about a draw and a fade" post and bsically flipped everything I thought I knew upside down!!  The body must instinctively know the ball flight laws because when I was unaware of the real ballflight laws I actually did hit some good shots the old way. Now that I am aware of them though I can easlily hit a snaphook or slice on command using that same technique today.

In my opinion the ballflight laws should be taught to a golfer right as they are learning how to grip the club because I think they are that important, and if taught them early enough, will breed some very good golfers.  I have found that the ballflight laws instill more confidence in my game because I KNOW without a doubt what needs to happen to get a particular shot done. Anyone who discounts the ballflight laws is really holding their progress back to improving their game in my opinion.   Being able to shape the ball is a skill that is very necessary for a golfer because it allows you to eliminate the trouble side on any hole. Even when I try to shape the ball on a shot, and don't quite get the shot executed, it has similar effects If you are trying to hit a straight shot everytime then you have invited both the draw and the fade into play.  Thanks for getting me educated on this iacas !

• Upvote 1

• Administrator

Originally Posted by Righty to Lefty

The body must instinctively know the ball flight laws because when I was unaware of the real ballflight laws I actually did hit some good shots the old way.

In my opinion the ballflight laws should be taught to a golfer right as they are learning how to grip the club because I think they are that important, and if taught them early enough, will breed some very good golfers.

I think the first sentence is true. I think golfers, by and large, "figure it out." I think also if you ask someone who doesn't golf which direction the ball will go if you show them a metal club and a fairly hard golf ball (any golf ball - I'm saying it's not really soft like a squash ball or something), they'll say "where the face is pointing."

I think the problem is when golfers are "taught" the wrong ball flight laws by an instructor AND/OR when the instructor bases his instruction on the wrong things. For example, someone straight-slicing. The instructor tells the student that the path is good but the face is wide open. Exactly the opposite fix is necessary.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

So this article:

http://www.keepmygolfscore.com/blog/cure-hook-golf-tip.html

is totally incorrect?

What is the difference between a hook and a pull?

Also, do the ball flight laws explain "duck hooks" - I hit two off the tee today with the driver.  Just low, line drives that start left and curve left.  Ugly shots - even with a big swing you hit it maybe 120 yards.  Is that a mishit, or can I look for a "Fix" in the ball flight laws?

I also agree this thread is extremely educational.

Note: This thread is 4577 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!