IGNORED

Rule changes for 2012

RemyM
Note: This thread is 4362 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I didn't say that they do have anything to do with each other.

Although there's nothing like going out on the town with a trophy after a hard fought team win

Quote:

Originally Posted by luu5

What golf and parties have to do with each other?

Originally Posted by rustyredcab

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ignorant

This Dec cannot be that difficult to absorb as some seem to think. The idea is that an artificial decive cannot be used for the player's benefit. Neither can ear plugs or other such devices blocking external nuisances out be used.

What's the problem??

I guess I do not see such a clear line until the rules gurus draw that line. Earplugs are not OK you say (and you may be right) but ear muffs are still OK. Sunglasses are OK and are a great benefit for many players. I used to have a pair that claimed to make reading greens easier. But noise canceling headphones are not OK you say because they can be used to a player's benefit? A hat, clearly an artificial device, and clearly a benefit beyond fashion, has been OK forever. So, the specific mention of music and broadcast seems to want to eliminate those things.

This rule change is a well calculated red herring that will ultimately be a precedent setting rule change. And no,  those aren't just a bunch of cliches strung randomly together.

What?

They're banning something which all players have equal access to, but because some people might gain an advantage from it, even though the vast majority of players choose not to "take advantage" of this device, it's painted as an unfair advantage for those who do, or might. It's not an arbitrary decision. Earbuds and MP3 players are more favoured by a younger generation. A generation still deciding whether or not they'll continue playing competitive golf and not so concerned about the history and sanctity of the game. A generation that will not take notice of the ban other than to make sure they're not busted wearing them in competition.

What is this ban of a previous legal device or piece of equipment "issue" a red herring for? What innocuous piece of equipment are they setting the stage for banning globally?

european_minitour_bans_belly_putter_from_all_events.jpg

Yeah. they're looking at you, Adam Scott, Keegan Bradley, et al.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

This rule change is a well calculated red herring that will ultimately be a precedent setting rule change. And no,  those aren't just a bunch of cliches strung randomly together.

What?

They're banning something which all players have equal access to, but because some people might gain an advantage from it, even though the vast majority of players choose not to "take advantage" of this device, it's painted as an unfair advantage for those who do, or might. It's not an arbitrary decision. Earbuds and MP3 players are more favoured by a younger generation. A generation still deciding whether or not they'll continue playing competitive golf and not so concerned about the history and sanctity of the game. A generation that will not take notice of the ban other than to make sure they're not busted wearing them in competition.

What is this ban of a previous legal device or piece of equipment "issue" a red herring for? What innocuous piece of equipment are they setting the stage for banning globally?

Yeah. they're looking at you, Adam Scott, Keegan Bradley, et al.

I hope you are right.  I would love to see a rule change that you are not permitted to deliberately touch your club during a stroke with anything other than your hands.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by turtleback

I hope you are right.  I would love to see a rule change that you are not permitted to deliberately touch your club during a stroke with anything other than your hands.

Are you sure this would rule out Scott's putting?

Originally Posted by luu5

Are you sure this would rule out Scott's putting?

Right. It would not rule out people using broomstick putters because it's the hands that touch the chin or chest.

Now I await someone saying that a belly putter hits your shirt and not your body (unless you are John Daly playing a casual round) and you could get around the rules on a technicality.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

• 6 months later...

Have just read this news. Music listening not permitted while striking or walking. At least not for 'extended periods'.  Gotta wonder about such rules as this.  I can take the no headphones during the stroke, as i can the  'no umbrella by others' , but how can it  hurt anyone if i want Mozart as i walk along?  And if you want 'ABBA', fine.  And of course, we keep our choice strictly private, no public or widespread broadcast,  headphones only.

http://www.barryrhodes.com/2012/05/unusual-use-of-equipment.html

How often have I seen it posted here and elsewhere that someone says "Man I love to listen to (name your own poison) when I play because it gets me in the zone.  Or it blocks out distractions.  Those are situations where listening to music can assist the player in making a stroke, and as such are not allowed under the rules of golf.  Even if not doing it while actually making his swing, it can set a tempo or rhythm in in his mind which carries over to the swing.  And dealing with distractions is part of the game.  Personally, listening to music while I play would in itself be a distraction, but that isn't the case for others.  Gaining a potential advantage by using technology which was never intended for golf should not be allowed.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

• Administrator

We have another thread on this somewhere.

http://thesandtrap.com/t/53966/rule-changes-for-2012/18#post_657315

I'm going to merge the thread.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Mr. Fourputt.  How on earth can i gain an advantage over you, for example, is we both have access, and rights (consistent with our economic status) to the same tools, ideas, equipment, etc.? I carry a small umbrella which collapses. If you want a giant one, fine by me. Your argument that i can get an advantage by using a yellow ball,  or Mozart or ABBA,  is foolish.  You can use one too !!  Consider golf gloves. You want to buy, carry, remove, put on and continually dick around with one or more $100 yak leather gloves,  and thus distract your fellow competitors, fine by me since i have the same 'rights'.  Pink driver shafts, i feel,  are meant only to intimidate the viewer, not the user. 'Look, i'm a sissy and i use a pink club, shaft, ball, glove, ribbon,  only to demonstrate to you what i wimp i am.'  You want 'slime lime green', go right ahead. I can look away. However, to reiterate to you, i agree with the 'no umbrella while stroking held by others', no listening to gadgets while stroking, no magic eyeglasses while stroking.  But if i am really rich and can afford Hank Haney as my caddy and he talks to me while i am  taking my shot, is that OK?  Just cause you ain't rich and can only afford your brother in law as caddy, tough luck.

Originally Posted by Fourputt

How often have I seen it posted here and elsewhere that someone says "Man I love to listen to (name your own poison) when I play because it gets me in the zone.  Or it blocks out distractions.  Those are situations where listening to music can assist the player in making a stroke, and as such are not allowed under the rules of golf.  Even if not doing it while actually making his swing, it can set a tempo or rhythm in in his mind which carries over to the swing.  And dealing with distractions is part of the game.  Personally, listening to music while I play would in itself be a distraction, but that isn't the case for others.  Gaining a potential advantage by using technology which was never intended for golf should not be allowed.

But you think use of carts is just fine and dandy. Wonderful logic there

Originally Posted by DocPangloss

Quote:

In the dawn of golf the peasants carried the old noblemen with bad feet - carts are totally consistent with the spirit of the game.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

The RULE says it's not allowed to use anything which provides assistance for the player in "making a stroke".  It says nothing about helping him in getting around the course.  All the cart is is a mechanical caddie.    If it helped anyone in making a stroke, there wouldn't be so many of you here who say that they play better when walking.  I guess by that logic we should make walking illegal, since it apparently helps those golfers who walk to play better.

Using music to help in maintaining a tempo or to eliminate other distractions would be of direct assistance in making a stroke.  The rule prohibits the player using any artificial device to assist him in making a stroke.  The rule doesn't prohibit music, it prohibits assistance. IF the music falls into that category, then it is prohibited.

Just because something is available to other players doesn't make it okay.  Carrying 20 clubs, using an illegal driver, playing a foot wedge are all available to other players too.  I guess we should just toss out the rule book and do whatever we want - seems like about half of the posts about the rules are by players who favor that anyway.

Rick

All the cart is is a mechanical caddie.

I'm curious how you use a cart on a golf course, because I've never seen somebody walk while their bag rides. I am of course not talking about push carts here.

I'm curious how you use a cart on a golf course, because I've never seen somebody walk while their bag rides. I am of course not talking about push carts here.

If that's all you got out of my post, then I'm done with it.  Argue til you're blue in the face - it ain't gonna change anything.

Rick

All the cart is is a mechanical caddie.

Man, you sound stubborn

There is nothing in the Rules to prohibit a caddie from carrying the player ...

Honestly, you do not seem to understand the difference between protection from the elements of nature etc. and assistance in making a stroke.

P.S. There are nice carts you do not have to push or pull, they just follow you wherever you go. Should those be banned...? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0XwJCllGnY

FourPutt covered this---the rules in question address making a stroke.

Furthermore, the game of golf is first and foremost one of moving the ball from tee to hole by making a series of strokes. The walking is incidental to that, and while certain competitions (e.g., the pro tours) consider it to be important, the rules themselves simply do not do so. Walking the course is simply not part of the definition of Golf.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Note: This thread is 4362 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!