IGNORED

Your Workout Today

iacas

*sigh*

My workout today started with a new exercise: box jumps.  After the 2nd set of box jumps, I felt sharp, acute pain in my lower back.  I struggled through the rest of it before eventually giving up.

The real bummer is that I've lost about 18-20lbs over the past 6-8 weeks (can't remember how long since I officially started) and I only have about 8lbs 'til I get down to my ideal weight.  Hopefully I won't be out too long.  Doc said with heat/ice and ibuprofen, I should feel improvement in a few days.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by Bull worker

What are American swings?  They sound interesting.

Sorry, flooded basement took over and I have been away.

Regular Russian (kettle bell swing) with two hands simply taken all the way to vertical, kind of a two handed snatch.  Just keep going up with a regular swing and end up in a vertical body line, inside of tricep area even with your ears.

I don't want to get beat up for this, verbally or physically, but I have started doing yoga.  Diamond Dallas Page's yoga: Yoga for Regular Guys.  I'm two days in and my back feels better already.  We'll see how this journey goes.

Thrusters r+l 3x5 (started with 44-62)

Renegade Plank 3x1min

Then on the top of every 3rd minute complete the following: (21min, 7 rds) The faster you finish the more rest you get!

15 American swings

13 Kickouts (up&downs; w/out going up)

13 Goblet Thrusters

53 lb kettlebell

Fairly winded at the end of each round!

Last week did the heart half marathon.  Tuesday did 8.58 in 1:30.  Felt really good.  Thursday did 2.49 in 28.  I was planning 4 but ran out of time and my right foot started hurting and knew I had the half Sunday morning.  Sunday, did the 13.1 in 2:25.  Finished in the bottom 20 out of 165 in my division.  But I'm a novice runner and fat so what can you expect??  Took Monday off, did 4.02 tonight in 45.  The heat really got to me.  Not used to it and didn't bring my water belt.  Felt blah.

Rest of this week.  I've got an 8, 5, and 12.  Might switch out the 5 for some cycling.  I miss running when it is chilly out.  This stupid training is stealing my golf time.  I have the time but not the legs after the big runs.  Really looking foward to being done with the marathon.  The training is hard, not all that much fun, and long.  Come on May 3rd!!!!

Brian

Back, bis, and swam as many laps as I could handle in 30 min. I got across the pool 3 times before being completely winded, progress from Tuesday when I only made it back and forth!

Swimming is going to get me in shape, forget the treadmill, that's for lightweights!

• Upvote 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Last evening got another round of Diamond Dallas Page (YRG) in.  I can't complain, my back is feeling better.  LeftyGolfer congratulations on your half marathon. Regardless f the time you did great.

I am skipping my workout today.  Legs are shot.  Over 18" of new snow in the last two days.  More tonight.  I just can't get the steam to go do a bunch of stuff for time.  My first missed workout in a LONG time.  Try to make it up this weekend.  I am jealous of all those playing golf.

Originally Posted by secondary

I am skipping my workout today.  Legs are shot.  Over 18" of new snow in the last two days.  More tonight.  I just can't get the steam to go do a bunch of stuff for time.  My first missed workout in a LONG time.  Try to make it up this weekend.  I am jealous of all those playing golf.

The Eastern part of the state got some last week.  And I guess Sun Valley has had their ski season extended.  I got my first nine holes in yesterday.

• Administrator

5.02 hilly miles, 47:10.

Bah.
Calf - not cardio or anything else - made this one a chore. It's not sore or in pain - that's the silver lining - it's simply exhausted or tired or overworked or something. It feels better than Monday but going up hills I had no real "push off" power. It felt weak and a bit "dull" - kind of like a big bruise but without the "tender to the touch" part of a bruise.
I stopped four times (they're pretty obvious in Garmin Connect) briefly. The calf would feel "rested" for a few steps and then the dull blah-ness would set in again.
So again, I no longer really think I'm "injured" - the muscle just feels like perhaps a gentle strain or something, like it's just a little tired. No pain, even if I rub it vigorously. I'll continue to ice and elevate. Will use the foam roller (Trigger Point one) too.
I'm not proud of this effort today, but I'll take it, if you know what I mean. It's not a flat loop (the one side is - I'm glad I took the tougher half to start).
Happy Birthday to me. I'm 34 today and I believe I'm slimmer than I was when I was 26, 27.
Here's a picture I took before I ran around the lake:
http://instagr.am/p/Ig5tpsSYGz/
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/160799548

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

So again, I no longer really think I'm "injured" - the muscle just feels like perhaps a gentle strain or something, like it's just a little tired.

Have you considered taking a week off?  I haven't followed this thread much to know if there is a specific goal you are working towards that may be derailed, but it sounds like it would do the muscle some good.  Also, if you have the time, some physical therapy (ultrasound) would probably do you some good.

Congrats on 34 and slim(mer).  I turn 34 in a few weeks and will be proud to be at least in as good physical condition (or maybe even better) as I was in my playing days.  Of course, I can't say the same for my own durability.

As for myself, I took two days completely off after my lower back strain.  After one day of nothing but light stretching and strengthening exercises, I did some core work yesterday and got on the elliptical machine for 15 minutes.  I plan on more of that today, and hopefully I can lift/run again by Monday.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

• Administrator

Originally Posted by bplewis24

Have you considered taking a week off?  I haven't followed this thread much to know if there is a specific goal you are working towards that may be derailed, but it sounds like it would do the muscle some good.  Also, if you have the time, some physical therapy (ultrasound) would probably do you some good.

No. It's nowhere near that bad. It improved with four days of slightly lighter work last week.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Not sure if it's related to your injury but right before I tore my meniscus I was having calf problems.  I don't know if running through the calf problem caused my leg to be imbalanced, but it was within the same week I tore the outer meniscus so just be careful.

Originally Posted by iacas

Bah.

Calf - not cardio or anything else - made this one a chore. It's not sore or in pain - that's the silver lining - it's simply exhausted or tired or overworked or something. It feels better than Monday but going up hills I had no real "push off" power. It felt weak and a bit "dull" - kind of like a big bruise but without the "tender to the touch" part of a bruise.

I stopped four times (they're pretty obvious in Garmin Connect) briefly. The calf would feel "rested" for a few steps and then the dull blah-ness would set in again.

So again, I no longer really think I'm "injured" - the muscle just feels like perhaps a gentle strain or something, like it's just a little tired. No pain, even if I rub it vigorously. I'll continue to ice and elevate. Will use the foam roller (Trigger Point one) too.

I'm not proud of this effort today, but I'll take it, if you know what I mean. It's not a flat loop (the one side is - I'm glad I took the tougher half to start).

Happy Birthday to me. I'm 34 today and I believe I'm slimmer than I was when I was 26, 27.

Joe Paradiso

• Administrator

Originally Posted by newtogolf

Not sure if it's related to your injury but right before I tore my meniscus I was having calf problems.  I don't know if running through the calf problem caused my leg to be imbalanced, but it was within the same week I tore the outer meniscus so just be careful.

I appreciate the concern, but I'm not running through pain or anything. It just felt weaker for a little while, and only on some good sized hills. I still managed a pretty hilly run at 9:30 miles or so.

I do appreciate the concern. I'm trying to over-do writing about it though as part of the ways in which I will NOT over-do working it, because I do NOT want an actual injury. I'd rather do that than not write about it and try to "tough it out" or something silly like that. That's how people DO get injured, so I'm trying to exaggerate things the opposite direction. :)

Bah.

What a great course to run. I love that picture and in the end, 5 is 5. I just got off the bike. Running has been spotty and it's getting hot so I switched over to 2 wheels.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Happy belated Bday Erik! Age is a great motivator for me. 39 is when I started working out for real. Better at 40,41 and soon 42 than I was at 30. Good for you.

Bull, glad to hear you season has started. I am trying to be positive and hope for the best up here. Worse comes to worse, i am driving to a range in the next 10 days.

Ran out of time do to a real one, so I made up a quick one. 15 to 20 min total time. Set the clock for 8 minutes and just did dbl clean to push press to front squat for 15 reps, then did 5 r+l TGU with a 44. Then I did as many chin ups as I could while holding my legs in an L. When I couldn't do another one, I dropped down and did L sits on the floor for as long as I could hold. 5 rounds of that. Last 5 minutes I just did right handed swings, then 2 handed swings, then left handed swings with a 44. Hopefully back to normal schedule next week.

Farmers lunges 3x10 (5r,5l) 44-53

Side Planks 3x1 min r+l

Then for time complete the following laddering down from 8,7,6, etc

Snatches R+L

Body weight squats

Pushups

Thrusters R+L

I used a 53.  Took me 15:25 total.