IGNORED

Your Workout Today

iacas

• Administrator

Originally Posted by TN94z

I personally believe it's because many runners that are trying to make this change are trying to make the change far too quickly and don't give it the time it takes to make such a change.  This, in turn, causes the injuries that he is seeing.  I would think that making such a drastic change would take months and months to get the leg and new stabilizer muscle strength to make it comfortable.  I think the people with injuries are trying to make it a "right now" kind of change.

I agree. I said so (I think) in my post, too, but I understand if you didn't see it or skipped it. I wrote a bit more than I intended to originally write, I'll admit! :-)

Originally Posted by TN94z

I follow a local holisitc doctor and he advocates minimalistic shoes because barefoot running is the more natural way for humans to run. He actually states that if you are experiencing knee issues wille running, then he thinks the minimalistic shoes will actually help get rid of the issues. That is great info you posted though. I am a midfoot striker so I am fairly close naturally.

So, while I did make that post, it's not necessarily something that I believe. I was just making conversation because this has been a hot topic fairly recently

Appreciate it. If nothing else it may help someone else.

I'm not entirely sold on being a true forefoot striker, but I definitely think forefoot beats heel, with midfoot either slightly in front of or perhaps slightly behind a forefoot strike.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Worked out twice last week.

Did my hight intensity routine of triple super sets on monday.  Did bench, millitary press, curls supersetted together.  moderate wieght 4 sets.  Then did arm curls and extensions supersetted toegther, then pull ups and dips.

Thanksgiving day, did a 10k race.  First 10k and ran it in 1 hour 5 minutes, 10.5 MPH.  Got me pretty good.  A great workout and fun.  Tons and tons of people.

Brian

3 mile run this morning. I remembered to use mostly the balls of my feet, as opposed to the heels as per iacas's recent post on this

Constantine

Great write up Erik!  I am in on the forefoot strike, at least I want to be.  Probably more mid foot but working on it.  Since sliding over into more Crossfit style workouts I find that wearing super flat shoes (no padding on the heels, New Balance Minimus, Vans,etc) are great to keep you back on your mid foot/ heel area while lifting, and great at getting you forward while running.  I have a friend involved with Somniorunning.com and I think their fitting system for shoes is really ingenious.  Check it out.

Today was 4 rounds of abs first followed by 10 rounds of whole body.

4 rounds of 10 sit ups and 10 Knees to Elbows from the bar

Then...

10 rounds of

10 Russian swings

10 Pushups

10 Russian swings

10 squat jumps

70lbs for men, 53 lbs for women

Stretch!!!!

• Administrator

C25K Week 4 Day 1 (5WU, 3R, 1.5W, 5R, 2.5W, 3R, 1.5W, 5R, 5CD). Included first 5:00 warmup, then stopped at the end of the second five minute run. Was ten seconds of walking from getting back to the car, so I must have run and walked comparable speeds.
I focused on forefoot landing and cadence in the first two blocks. Mixed in a little mid- to heel-first landings when calves started to "notice." But overall I feel 10x better than even the last run last week. Probably because I'm not fast. :-) Maybe the next two times this week I'll pick up the pace a little bit. Let's see, the RunKeeper app puts my running paces at... 8:30, 9:00, 9:00, and 9:15-ish. I'm okay with that. I didn't feel awesome going in and feel better coming out than I probably should. :-)
http://runkeeper.com/user/iacas/activity/61441901
http://www.dailymile.com/people/iacas/entries/11216336

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Wow, new sequence of movements that really kicked my butt

30 minutes total, 3 min intervals/ 10 rounds.

Complete the circuit in 3 min.  The faster you finish, the more time you have to rest before the top of the third min.

53-44 lbs men 35-26 wm

8 snatches R+L

6 Lunges R+L

7 Push Press R+L

14 Jumping Pull ups

Sounded easy.  Was really hard.  Not sure if it was just me or not?  Can't remember the last time I was hurt like that?

Workout tonight.

Did triple super set thing with flat bench, curls, military press.  Did 4 or 5 sets.  Starting off really light with last set only able to get 6 or so reps in each excercise.  Then did dips, 4 sets, planks comboed with leg raises sets, then a combo curl shoulder press 4 sets.  Then ran a 5k (3.1 miles) in 33.51 on a treadmill.  Didn't feel great in terms of speed but got a great workout.

Brian

• Administrator

Postponed my C25K W4D2 until tomorrow morning. Calves a tiny bit sore and Dave's sister Jen the trainer was using the room tonight when I went to run.

• Administrator

Just did week 4, day 2 of #c25k with @couch5k! Treadmill at Golf Evolution.
Ran my miles at a 6 MPH pace (10:00). Ran the second 3 minute segment at 6.5 MPH (9:14 pace), then ran the first three of the last 5 minute segment at 5.5 (11:55) and the last minute at 7 (8:34).
Right calf was fine. Left shoe needed adjusting and left calf was a bit sore. Call it 90%. An hour or two later (right now) it actually feels better, 95% or so, and definitely feels better than it felt yesterday. I'll ice it, though, for a bit. Bottom of my calf, where it gets thinner. Not the belly.
http://runkeeper.com/user/iacas/activity/61729117

http://www.dailymile.com/people/iacas/entries/11271221

Comming off a cold the past 4 days, i eased into it.

Yesterday i walked an steady hill (on the tredmill), starting at 3.0 mph, increasing 2 mph every two minutes to 3.6 mph, then from there increasing the incline by 1% every two minutes. Basically this created a 40 minute workout, of going up an every increasing in steepness hill, and back down. I always run or walk at 1% incline anyways, when on a tredmill.

Today, i basically just warmed up on the tredmil for 5 minutes. Then i did 5 basic body weight exercises, trying to do 20 of each.

Pushups (20/20)

Squates  (20/20)

Assisted Pull ups [one leg on a chair] (20/14)

Bench shoulder press (20,12), basically were you have your feet on the bench, your butt up in the air, and you do a shoulder press using your body weight.

Plank (60 seconds, 45 seconds), my shoulders were bothering me.

Next week we'll be back to more elaborate workouts..

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I did 1.6 miles today and wednesday. My right side cramped up a bit the first time, but it was better today. Kept the pace slower, around 10 min/mile.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

• Administrator

Week 4, Day 3 of C25K.
Right calf at 99%. Left at 93? 95? Somewhere in there. It feels better after I run. My form was probably 30% forefoot (again perhaps too far forward, but feel isn't real), 50% mid-foot-ish, and 20% heel (I revert to a little heel when I feel like I'm pushing a bit too hard).
This pace includes the full workout: 15:30 walking, 16:00 running. So I'm happy with the pace given that. My running paces/mile were approximately: 8:30, 9:15, 9:00, and 10:00. I didn't run very smoothly - you can tell when I was working on form. I go faster when I'm fore-foot to mid-foot. Higher cadence.
http://runkeeper.com/user/iacas/activity/61872689

http://www.dailymile.com/people/iacas/entries/11297335

If you're reading this, please sign up for DailyMile. It's pretty awesome for a free app, and I could use some friends there that I actually know somewhat. I appreciate it. It can track all kinds of workouts, not just running or cycling, but elliptical and treadmill, as well as core exercises, sit-ups, etc. It's pretty great.

Finally got off my ass and did "Pure Cardio" from Insanity with my wife this morning.  Burned 350 calories in less than 45 minutes and got my heartrate up to 157 at one point.  Maybe I'll get back on track now that it felt so good to get moving again.   I am in very good shape as we've been doing lots of Tony Horton's stuff (P90x, P90x+, One on One, and 10 min. Trainer) for almost four years now but, I have been pretty slack for the past few months.  Time to get going again.

I went running, for the first time outside, the friday of thanksgiving, in like 10-12 years. I am always a tredmill runner. On the tredmill you can develop a longer stride with out much harm because its lower impact than running outside, and the dynamics of a moving tredmill, rather than a non moving ground aids in that. When i went out running, i found i ran better when i kept my knees bent more, and shortened my stride up. I felt like i could go longer and faster that way, there was less impact on my body. I wear New Balance shoes, that correct my stride, i have ones that have alot of support on the inside heal. But when i shortened my stride wasn't hitting heal to toe, i was hitting midfoot to toe, because of were i felt the cushion in my shoe.

I know alot of people are getting onto the simple view on running. Being an engineer, i am pretty much agreeing that if it works simpler than thats the better system. But i think its based all on personal preference. Do what makes you feel comfortable.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

too lazy to type it out again.  I did last Satudrays workout all over again.  toes to bar, weighted planks , max pull ups, tgu, etc.  Went snowboarding yesterday for first time in two years and felt really strong.  Gym time is paying off!

You guys have motivated me...did 3 on the treadmill running the first and run walking the next 2 in 44 minutes.

I ran in the past (finished 2 marathons) just to hang with my wife who is hard core (pr@Boston 3:28).  I used to strap on my garmin and ask her for tips. She told me that I think way too much.  She has good form and has not has any serious injuries.  When she does her speed work, I need a bike to keep up with her!  The most common injuries that I have seen in my short running career, the marathons cured me (pr 4:15), was incorrect shoes and ramping up the mileage too quickly.  I have suffered the latter with some horrible shin splints that I developed because I felt good and just ran more than I should have like 16 when the schedule called for 12.  It's easy to do once you get your wind, but I really don't have to worry about that anytime soon.

Anyway, I felt like a slug at the range and thought maybe I should do something and post on this thread.  Thanks for starting it.

• Upvote 1

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus