IGNORED

How many Golfers worldwide play hcp 16 or better?

Littleoven
Note: This thread is 4347 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm not even sure how many people in the world play golf, so it's tough to guess.  I'd venture that maybe 10-15% of "golfers" (people who tee it up 5 or more times a year) are capable of consistently breaking 90.  Maybe less than that.  So, by your number, that means there are 80 million golfers out there?

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I looked at my club, which most if not all of the guys there play at least 3 times a month.  I would guess most of the guys play at least once a week almost year around.  25% of them play to a 16 or better.  I was a bit shocked by that number but it at least can give you a reference.

I looked at my club, which most if not all of the guys there play at least 3 times a month.  I would guess most of the guys play at least once a week almost year around.  25% of them play to a 16 or better.  I was a bit shocked by that number but it at least can give you a reference.

Vanity caps?

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

I don't even know where you would look to find such information.  I have read that less than 50% of the golfer in the USA can consistently score better than 100 on a regulation course.

Butch

I read on a sign in a course bathroom once that only %1 of golfers will ever break 80.

Driver- Titleist 910 D3 9.5

3 Wood- Burner 15 degree
Irons- Slingshot 4I-AW
Hybrid- CPR 3 22 degree
Putter- White Hot XG 8

Originally Posted by Littleoven

Have a running bet with a mate of mine.....How many Golfers do you folks out there think play off a hcp 16 or better?....My number came in a state of too much red wine, so recon it s a bit too high....8.500.000 it was .....

So the bet was for $8.500.000?

• Administrator

Originally Posted by luu5

So the bet was for $8.500.000?

Isn't it clear he's saying his number is 8.5 million golfers have a handicap of 16 or better?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by LBlack14

Vanity caps?

Possibly, but the ones that I have played with over the last year play close to that HCP.  Only a hand full did not seem to live up to posted HCP

Cool guys! Thanks for your contributions.... Didnt get me anwhere closer to the answer if i can t that number for all Golfers worldwide but following this thread the percentage of Golfers playing off that HPC Ranges from 5-15 percentage.... Think my mate will be the One coming up for that bottle

Oy vey, what is this, some tech position interview? :-)

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Or consulting. "How many manhole covers are there in (insert city here)." Oh God, I'm getting cold shivers ...

Anyway, in America the USGA says there are about 5 million golfers with an official handicap (out of an estimated 20 million people who play the game).

Of those, 57.69% are better than a 16, so that's 2,884,500.

562x700px-LL-a876f0f7_Screenshot2011-11-22at4.57.31PM.png

Add Europe, roughly adjusting by the number of golf courses in each location* (5,896/16,944): 1,003,719

Add rest of world, roughly adjusting by ratio of European golf courses to all other golf courses not in America (47/53): 1,131,853

Rough total: 5,020,072.

Add golfers in all locations without official indexes who would be 16 or under if they were officially handicapped: And we can't do that because we don't have a ****ing clue.

Whatever the stakes were, you and your mate should probably just split them and put it into more red wine.

(* And ignoring inconvenient details like CONGU etc. generally only accepting competitive rounds for handicap purposes.)

• Upvote 2

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Originally Posted by Stretch

Anyway, in America the USGA says there are about 5 million golfers with an official handicap (out of an estimated 20 million people who play the game).

Of those, 57.69% are better than a 16, so that's 2,884,500.

Makes you wonder what the definition of an "official" handicap is, doesn't it?

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Originally Posted by Shorty

Makes you wonder what the definition of an "official" handicap is, doesn't it?

Thought we'd already established that was "every wanker who doesn't play Aussie rules"?

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Originally Posted by Littleoven

Yeah and so for the guy, who's just started playing...... Aussie rules r made after a good round with mates signing the card or what?

Handicaps in OZ are based on competition rounds only.

I could go away for a week and play 5 rounds under par and it would do nothing for my handicap unless the rounds were played in competition.

Most clubs only have one mid week competition plus Sat and Sun.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Note: This thread is 4347 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!