IGNORED

2012 Accenture Match Play Discussion Thread

brocks
Note: This thread is 4455 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by walk18

Tiger looks to be playing a fade off the tee exclusively, even when the hole calls for a draw. it's like he has no confidence in a draw right now, which is strange because I thought Foley's swing method actually encourages a draw. Hope he gets it worked out.

He actually played a couple draws yesterday, and also had trouble when setting up for a fade and ended up hooking the ball a couple times.  His swing was pretty much all over the place, but he settled down the last few holes.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

• Administrator

Originally Posted by jamo

Current Rankings for thesandtrap

Rank Player Projected Winner Tie-Breaker Answer Score

30 Locati, R Tiger Woods 23 23

792 brown, r Charl 16 20

1709 Harriff, D Tiger Woods 18 19

1709 Manzana, R Tiger Woods 17 19

2945 Barzeski, E Tiger Woods 31 18

2945 James, M Rory McIlroy 17 18

4524 Ho, S Rory McIlroy 2 17

4524 Jack, S Tiger Woods 17 17

4524 mc, j Luke Donald 17 17

4524 Wasem, J Sergio 20 17

4524 Weiss, J Luke Donald 18 17

6112 zwicks, z Zach 16 16

8785 Noland, D Rory McIlroy 18 13

Woo! Here I thought my picks were going to be the worst. I'm sure I'll go downhill from here, but I guess the problem with brackets is that once you're dealt a tough blow early on it's tough to recover.

BTW, I clearly didn't read things since I forgot that they'd changed to an 18-hole final match. Or was it always 18 holes? Screw me. I picked 31 because I thought it was 36 holes. Stupid. Or maybe I'm just counting on them halving 12 holes in a row. :P

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Woo! Here I thought my picks were going to be the worst. I'm sure I'll go downhill from here, but I guess the problem with brackets is that once you're dealt a tough blow early on it's tough to recover. BTW, I clearly didn't read things since I forgot that they'd changed to an 18-hole final match. Or was it always 18 holes? Screw me. I picked 31 because I thought it was 36 holes. Stupid. Or maybe I'm just counting on them halving 12 holes in a row. :P

They just changed it to 18 holes last year. But that would be a hell of a playoff. :-P

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by brocks

And Rory had three chances to put it away and missed them, but was given a gift by his opponent missing a very makeable putt on 18. So I guess Rory is all washed up, too. Not to mention the current world #1, who was obliterated by a guy who wouldn't even have qualified if Phil hadn't decided to go skiing.

Seriously, that's golf. Tiger is not consistent yet, but he's better now than he was the last two years, and in the last two years, he trounced his opponents in singles match play at the RC and PC. So yes, he was lucky he drew Gonzo and not Keegan, but he had a bad day. If he has a good day, whoever he's playing will have his hands full.

No offense intended here, but yours is the view of a Tiger apologist.  The fact is that neither Rory nor Luke have ever had such a commanding lead in OWGR that they could take an entire year off and still be #1 in OWGR.  "Tiger" would not have let a match against a guy who was totally struggling go to the 17th hole, much less miss a 10-footer to close out the match.  "Tiger" would not have then dumped his approach on 18 into the worst possible spot in a short-sided bunker with a short-iron from a great angle in the fairway.

The current tiger has his game back.  The old "Tiger", when he was off, would hit wild tee shots and then find a way to get it done from wherever he found himself (usually by hitting an unbelievable iron shot or making a 30-footer).  This tiger missed a makeable match-winning putt, then got extremely lucky that his bunker shot didn't roll back into the divot from where it came.

"Tiger" has been replaced by a dude named Tiger Woods--a good golfer, who routinely finds himself in contention, but can't seem to close.  He might as well be Spencer Levin.  That, my friend, has nothing to do with his swing changes or ability.  That has everything to do with his ability to simply will his way to a win, which he previously had a monopoly on.

"Tiger" may return, but tiger is what we have now.

• Upvote 1

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Originally Posted by Canuck

To be honest, todays Golf Channel coverage leaves little to be desired IMO. Way too much Tiger coverage. I thought the world #1,#2,#3 and so on were playing as well?? Some really good match ups out there today but seems as if only certain american players are getting coverage. Would like to see Donald and Rors play, Kaymer and Westwood are in the field I believe as well. Anyways enjoy watching tiger and Constano hack it up.

The reason for Tiger getting so much coverage is because that is who the public want to see, simple. Just have a scroll through this thread and youl find most of the conversation and debate is about Tiger. Im not saying that it's right that he gets all the screen time, but the public gets what the public wants.

Originally Posted by k-troop

No offense intended here, but yours is the view of a Tiger apologist.  The fact is that neither Rory nor Luke have ever had such a commanding lead in OWGR that they could take an entire year off and still be #1 in OWGR.  "Tiger" would not have let a match against a guy who was totally struggling go to the 17th hole, much less miss a 10-footer to close out the match.  "Tiger" would not have then dumped his approach on 18 into the worst possible spot in a short-sided bunker with a short-iron from a great angle in the fairway.

The current tiger has his game back.  The old "Tiger", when he was off, would hit wild tee shots and then find a way to get it done from wherever he found himself (usually by hitting an unbelievable iron shot or making a 30-footer).  This tiger missed a makeable match-winning putt, then got extremely lucky that his bunker shot didn't roll back into the divot from where it came.

"Tiger" has been replaced by a dude named Tiger Woods--a good golfer, who routinely finds himself in contention, but can't seem to close.  He might as well be Spencer Levin.  That, my friend, has nothing to do with his swing changes or ability.  That has everything to do with his ability to simply will his way to a win, which he previously had a monopoly on.

"Tiger" may return, but tiger is what we have now.

Yes, it has been ages since he won...oh wait.

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Originally Posted by sevesgod

The reason for Tiger getting so much coverage is because that is who the public want to see, simple. Just have a scroll through this thread and youl find most of the conversation and debate is about Tiger. Im not saying that it's right that he gets all the screen time, but the public gets what the public wants.

I fully understand and agree that the majority of the public wants to see Tiger and thats great. However, in a tournament where you have so much world wide talent playing and you don't get to see that a lot on the PGA tour, it would be nice if they focus a little more on some of the other matches. I am fine with heavy coverage of Woods and Watney, thats a solid match that is right up there with any of them today. Hopefully its a good day of matches and some exciting play.

Whats in the my bag,

taylormade.gifR9 TP taylormade.gifSuperfast 3 wood Rescue 19*  712 MB (3-P KBS T shaft)  

SM4 52*,54*,60*   Pickemup 42" Belly Putter  titleist.gifPro V1x  adidas.gif 360 footwear

Next to the masters, this is my favourite tournament to watch.  Between match play and the dessert, its just awesome

Agreed! Even when your pick in your golf pool gets knocked out in the first round! damn you sergio! ha ha What an up and down by Woods! Watney was probably like, WTF was that? I am sure Nick thought he had that one in the bag. Think again! DJ and Mahan are laying down some smack downs!

DRIVER Taylormade R11S w/ Tour AD DI-7S 3 WOOD Taylormade R11S RIP Phenom Stiff 16.5 HYBRID Taylormade Rocketballz Tour Stiff IRONS 4-6 iron Taylormade MC w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff IRONS 7-PW Taylormade MB w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff WEDGES Titleist Vokey SM4 Black Nickel 52.12, 56.11, 60.10 PUTTER NIKE METHOD 001 33', Taylormade Ghost Spider 33' BAG ADIDAS AG Tour Stand Bag BALLS TITLEIST PRO-V1X SHOESADIDAS ADIPURE GPS SKYCADDIE SGX

How does DJ go from being so terrible around the greens to chipping and pitching in 5 times in two days? He's on fire!
DRIVER Taylormade R11S w/ Tour AD DI-7S 3 WOOD Taylormade R11S RIP Phenom Stiff 16.5 HYBRID Taylormade Rocketballz Tour Stiff IRONS 4-6 iron Taylormade MC w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff IRONS 7-PW Taylormade MB w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff WEDGES Titleist Vokey SM4 Black Nickel 52.12, 56.11, 60.10 PUTTER NIKE METHOD 001 33', Taylormade Ghost Spider 33' BAG ADIDAS AG Tour Stand Bag BALLS TITLEIST PRO-V1X SHOESADIDAS ADIPURE GPS SKYCADDIE SGX

This is DJ's tournmanet.  64 yesterday, and came back from 2 down.  and he is on fire today.  He never has done well in this tournament, but something is clicking this week.  I would bet on him

Tiger90

Originally Posted by Canuck

I fully understand and agree that the majority of the public wants to see Tiger and thats great. However, in a tournament where you have so much world wide talent playing and you don't get to see that a lot on the PGA tour, it would be nice if they focus a little more on some of the other matches. I am fine with heavy coverage of Woods and Watney, thats a solid match that is right up there with any of them today. Hopefully its a good day of matches and some exciting play.

When Tiger is on, there is nobody i would rather watch.  Altough it is pissing me off that they haven't showed Rory yet, and they barley showed him yesterday.

I really do not want to miss any shot Tiger hits tho lol.  I love Watney, but there is no one id rather see win than Tiger....period.

Tiger90

When Tiger is on, there is nobody i would rather watch.  Altough it is pissing me off that they haven't showed Rory yet, and they barley showed him yesterday.

I really do not want to miss any shot Tiger hits tho lol.  I love Watney, but there is no one id rather see win than Tiger....period.

You are a Tiger fan? Never would have guessed. :-D

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 4455 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!